Expectatiion vs Reality

(When I say vs Reality I mean vs what actually happens come may)

When I read through the predictions for the season, the amount that dont have us at least in the play offs is very small. If those predictions are genuine and can be seen as a good reflection on fans as a whole It could be a double edged sword.

I think that the last time so many people were as "confident" as this was when Ronnie had his season and I truely believe that it part of why the fans disliked him. I dont want to make this another "Ronnie debate" cos nothing can be said that hasn't already.

Come mid-october. If we are half way in the table, I'll be looking at this board with interest and listening to the fans at the ground as to whether there is any discontent. Personally I'm hopeful rather than expectant and I do think that this is our strongest squad for a while. I do think the division as a whole is much stronger too and I've predicted 7th.

If we start like a train though I think we have a chance as its jan/feb when I think we will improve on previous years, due to squad size. For the last 2 years come february we lost pace. (Our final league placing was given a slight boost last year by 2 final wins. We were 11th with 2 games to go.) 2 years ago after hitting the top in feb we fell away.

Lets start well first. We haven't done for a few years. 10 games and 15 points+ please.

Heres to a good and hopefully successful season.

Edited by pukka

After many years of supporting Latics, my nature is to be realistic to the extent of aiming for enough points to avoid relegation as soon as possible. From then on the bonus of the Play-offs or the ultimate bonus of promotion becomes a taget. I would also love a good cup run.

From watching the pre-season games, I can't see us starting like a train, but I hope I'm wrong. The new players may have been hiding their lights under bushels and Shez may have been hiding his winning formation under his coaching manual. The players brought in appear to have added depth, experience and quality to the squad, and the promise shown by the youngsters last season gives me optimism.

I'm more excited about the coming season than for some years, but I just hope that people don't get on the players backs during games if results are not meeting high expectations.

I see some similarities between 'that' ronnie season and this; there is always a higher level of expectation after a busy summer in the transfer market. If we were to trawl the messageboards of the teams left in the division from last top 10 then I bet they are all expecting the playoffs this time around. Similarly I bet those outside the top 10 that have made no investment over the summer will probably be fearing the worst this time around.

I think it shows that we have made more progress than many think under TTA that these days we are looking to get 70 points plus and reach the playoffs, rather than looking over our shoulders hoping to get to 50 as soon as possible and avoid relegation.

I still think the priority should have been the left side for us to be genuine contenders, but I also think we still have a good chance for the playoffs. Whatever I'm sure there will be fun and heartache in equal measures, if there wasn't it wouldn't be Latics would it!

:ktf:

I always start off believing, it's a big part of the reason I follow the game is because I believe we are going to do something in the next season, game, half, minute or some other time soon that makes the bad times worthwhile. I must say though that I can't understand why anyone wouldn't think the play-offs are eminently achievable. Reason? I don't take any note of, "how strong the division," is. There is always the odd big team, the odd small team throwing money and so on, they are still down here on merit. We would have made play-offs with reasonable injury luck last season, so there is every reason to think we could make them this year even without making quite a few decent signings, which it seems we have done. That's before you consider that several of our squad from last year will be better anyway with experience for the bairns.

I always start off believing, it's a big part of the reason I follow the game is because I believe we are going to do something in the next season, game, half, minute or some other time soon that makes the bad times worthwhile. I must say though that I can't understand why anyone wouldn't think the play-offs are eminently achievable. Reason? I don't take any note of, "how strong the division," is. There is always the odd big team, the odd small team throwing money and so on, they are still down here on merit. We would have made play-offs with reasonable injury luck last season, so there is every reason to think we could make them this year even without making quite a few decent signings, which it seems we have done. That's before you consider that several of our squad from last year will be better anyway with experience for the bairns.

Whilst I'm quietly confident, the same old problems remain, so i'll do what I normally do.....expect nowt then I won't be disappointed, on the other hand if we do achieve something I'll be bladdered for a week, and be found in a ditch in Norfolk, quietly humming Campione! (normal weekend eh Lees :wink: !?). Having said that the forthcoming season is also my PGCE year and although I've bought a season ticket, i'll do well to attend the number of games I normally do (40+) so its nailed on we'll win 12-0 every week and play football so sublime it wouldn't be out of place on the cococabana!

Whilst I'm quietly confident, the same old problems remain, so i'll do what I normally do.....expect nowt then I won't be disappointed, on the other hand if we do achieve something I'll be bladdered for a week, and be found in a ditch in Norfolk, quietly humming Campione! (normal weekend eh Lees :wink: !?). Having said that the forthcoming season is also my PGCE year and although I've bought a season ticket, i'll do well to attend the number of games I normally do (40+) so its nailed on we'll win 12-0 every week and play football so sublime it wouldn't be out of place on the cococabana!

I dont have a job and cant afford many. Actually after the Rochdale game I dont know when I'll be going again so yes we WILL start like a train!!

Providing we don't have as many off days and non footballing days as last season we should make the play off's. In other words a little more consistent. However just to dampen things, during the pre-season games we've seen the good and the bad. Unfortunately the bad towards the end!

Edited by Lags

Well, I don't usually bet on Latics as you can quickly see your hopes, dreams and money go up in smoke.

However, I couldn't resist £20 on us at 10-1 for promotion.

Barring a bad run of injuries / suspensions I think top 6 is veeerrrry achievable.

The following below is what I've previously written about our hopes. Over the past few seasons I've got it fairly spot on (if I don't mind saying so myself.) And I don't think I'll be too far out again...thus, anything less than top 10 and it'll be huge failure by one man IMO. He's got the tools, he's identified the early season success required...he's got few excuses now. This season I'll get my answer...you don't get rid of a manager till you know they can't take you forward any further. I think Shez can (even with mistakes and limitations) however, if he doesn't then I think rightly, we'll have to decide we have to move on. I think Corneys hinted at this also with words to the effect of "if this squad can't get us up then I don't know what will."

Time to move us forward Shez.

-----------

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=149711

Unless Shez works out why we've failed over recent years then he can change the personel all he likes...the same failings will happen. We could have the best squad in this league but without the right players playing and the right style, then it'll fail. And that means fast wings, over-lapping one another, meaning strikers stay in their positions upfront and the midfield can get forward and support. For 18mths, we've not had this and Shez hasn't gone about solving this. Getting in Demar will help. And IMO, benching a certain player on the right side will too!

At present, early doors, from what I've seen pre-season and from how Shez is talking...I don't expect to see Taylor at RW (but Lids) and I also think he'll make the mistake of playing O'Grady and Davies together. And I think all this talk from Shez about starting quickly this time around could all be blown away again by bad early season decisions. Like happened last year with KK coming in on the eve of the season and basically ripping up the pre-season. Or the year before where we ripped up pre-season by playing a midfield diamond...something we'd not practiced once that pre-season.

People say give it time and I'm all for it. But Shez has stated this time around that we MUST hit the ground running. That includes Shez too with his decisions or else playing catch up will leave us fighting for the playoffs.

At present, if Shez gets the early season wrong (in line-ups and style) then we'll finish 8th-10th. But if Shez proves he's learned and gets it right, straight from the off, I think we've the squad to get promoted or at minimum, the playoffs. Early season will be the key!

The following below is what I've previously written about our hopes. Over the past few seasons I've got it fairly spot on (if I don't mind saying so myself.) And I don't think I'll be too far out again...thus, anything less than top 10 and it'll be huge failure by one man IMO. He's got the tools, he's identified the early season success required...he's got few excuses now. This season I'll get my answer...you don't get rid of a manager till you know they can't take you forward any further. I think Shez can (even with mistakes and limitations) however, if he doesn't then I think rightly, we'll have to decide we have to move on. I think Corneys hinted at this also with words to the effect of "if this squad can't get us up then I don't know what will."

Time to move us forward Shez.

-----------

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=149711

Unless Shez works out why we've failed over recent years then he can change the personel all he likes...the same failings will happen. We could have the best squad in this league but without the right players playing and the right style, then it'll fail. And that means fast wings, over-lapping one another, meaning strikers stay in their positions upfront and the midfield can get forward and support. For 18mths, we've not had this and Shez hasn't gone about solving this. Getting in Demar will help. And IMO, benching a certain player on the right side will too!

At present, early doors, from what I've seen pre-season and from how Shez is talking...I don't expect to see Taylor at RW (but Lids) and I also think he'll make the mistake of playing O'Grady and Davies together. And I think all this talk from Shez about starting quickly this time around could all be blown away again by bad early season decisions. Like happened last year with KK coming in on the eve of the season and basically ripping up the pre-season. Or the year before where we ripped up pre-season by playing a midfield diamond...something we'd not practiced once that pre-season.

People say give it time and I'm all for it. But Shez has stated this time around that we MUST hit the ground running. That includes Shez too with his decisions or else playing catch up will leave us fighting for the playoffs.

At present, if Shez gets the early season wrong (in line-ups and style) then we'll finish 8th-10th. But if Shez proves he's learned and gets it right, straight from the off, I think we've the squad to get promoted or at minimum, the playoffs. Early season will be the key!

Agree with a lot of that, except the Davies and O'grady bit. They've looked like they are beginning to forge an understanding and given that Hughes is nowhere near fit I'd give them a chance to develop the partnership further. When Davies has gone wide, O'Grady has got himself into the box, Davies has returned the compliment to a certian extent but he really does need to work on his positioning. However if Davies wants to be a shoe-in every week he needs to cut out the aimless wandering around the field, as when Hughesy is fit then it is Hughes and O'Grady for me. You need physicality in this league, Hughes and O'Grady will give us that imo. I hope against hope that Taylor is not playing at LB on Saturday and Lids is not on the right, but we know what the answer will be to that and another slow start beckons.

Spot on!

Couldn't have put it better myself. (Well I could, but you're welcome to your moment of glory :wink: )

My hope is that we are in the Play-offs and even pushing for an outside chance of automatic. I have not watched any pre-season games and never take any notice of them anyway (seen us have a cracking pre-season and be rubbish come KO, vice versa and everything in between) so not sure about the new signings.

My expectation however is probably similar to last 2 seasons - in the mix for the last couple of play-off spots near the end of the season. Might make it, might not.

Personally I would be keeping Sheriden even if we miss out again this year. I've said it before, but the general view is managers need time to get it right (4,5,6 years sometimes) and unless we get relegated/look like getting relegated I'd give Shez time again.

Unless we have the opportunity of replacing him with a vastly successful manager that all but guarantees promotion. But given we are Oldham Athletic and they don't exist anyway, I'd say that's hardly likely.