Who Was Your Favourite Childhood Player ?

Billy Naylor John Thompson and later Tommy Walker best player by miles bobby Johnstone he didnt run about but could he pass a ball just ask LEES lOVER

:curtains::ph34r::blink::unsure:

Either someone knows who I am and I don't know who they are, or a case of mistaken identity. I was amazed to see that the first one I could really say was a stand-out hero for me was Mr Barrett, and he falls just outside the terms of this competition.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucky after 36 years of watching the Tics I got to see a fair few good uns, Valentine, Wylde, Stainrod, Vic Halom, Harry Dowd and Jim Fryatt in no particular order.

got a few of my favourites there, valentine, wylde, stainrod, halom. looking back weve got a lot to thank our past strikers for keeping us in div2, you can add youngy and stevie taylor to them as well.

Got to admit the king of all geordies was my favourite, scored a hat-trick against carlisle in front of MOTD cameras on their first visit to bp, he was the stereotypical old fashoined centre-forword big and powerful in the air (well he seemed to be then as I was only a nipper).

Guest oa_exile
If we define "Child" as less than 12, who was your favourite player ?

Mine was Alan Young.

Going off your less than 12 I will have to go with :

Alan Groves

Dave Shaw

Colin Garwood

If I add a couple of years on then

Vic Halom

Simon Stainrod

Rodger Wylde

Happy Days ^_^

Edited by oa_exile

Tommy Walker 1954-57 & 1957-59.,

Signed from Newcastle for £2,500. 158 appearances 23 goals. He could play on either wing , but played mainly on the right. He was fast enough to take part in the famous Powderhall athletics meetings in Scotland and won many handicaps. Sold to Chesterfield in February 1957 for £1250 but returned in July 1957.

Used to go in his paper shop on Boarshaw everyday either on me way to or from school, not to buy owt you understand just to gaze at an old time Latics legend!

Carl Valentine.

Guest oa_exile
Got to admit the king of all geordies was my favourite, scored a hat-trick against carlisle in front of MOTD cameras on their first visit to bp, he was the stereotypical old fashoined centre-forword big and powerful in the air (well he seemed to be then as I was only a nipper).

I still can rememeber playing Sunderland at BP it must have been the first time that Vic had played against Sunderland since his move.

Sunderland fans coming on the pitch and raising him aloft and throwing scarves at him , he really was a Legend at Roker Park as part of their FA CUp winning team.

The first player who became my favourite was Tony Henry I think. Mid-80's when I really started to get into Latics as the early 80's I went and spent most of my time people-watching rather than what happened on the pitch.

After that Andy Goram... because he was sensational (bold statement, but I seriously don't think we've ever had a keeper as good as Goram).

Then when Goram left it became Tommy Wright. His terrier-style tenacious wing-play was a joy to watch at times. I was gutted when he left for Leicester.

I think Stitch remains my all-time favourite however, just because of the good times associated with his arrival. You could just tell he was technically gifted, and had faster speed-of-thought than any of the rest. Shame he was so injury prone really.

Guest oa_exile
Used to go in his paper shop on Boarshaw everyday either on me way to or from school, not to buy owt you understand just to gaze at an old time Latics legend!

Carl Valentine.

Got me going now.

I lived on Sholver for a couple of years and Colin Garwood lived just around the corner from me , yes footballers lived in Council houses :lol:

I used to wait for him to come out of his house just say hello :)

Anyway one day I was in the shop with my Dad and in walked Colin.My Dad said hello to him and Colin said "This is the young lad who likes to say hello". ^_^

Anyway my Dad and Colin must have got chatting , the day after Colin turned up at my House ,yes my House :dance:

He gave me a signed pickie , a scarf and two tickets for the next home game.

Legend !

Edited by oa_exile

Alan Groves was my favourite. I used to copy the tricks he did in my first Latics kit (complete with number 11 on the shirt & shorts).

The guy was awesome & I have never seen anyone since who compares to him.

Who has anyone seen who took the mick out of fullbacks the way he did? (maybe goofynaldo at manure).

Who remembers him sitting on the ball waiting for the opposition to come & get the ball off him?

He was different class. (he had a dodgy haircut though? like the bloke out of Boney M).

My other favourites:

Maurice Whittle - Free kick & penalty expert! (He could strike a dead ball as hard as anyone I've ever seen)

Shoot!......Shoot!.......Shoot!.........Shoot! (classic chant) BANG!!!! GOAL!

Vic Halom 'King of all Geordies!'

Steve Taylor (Only because he was the first Latics autograph I got when he came to our school one day with Les Chapman, I remember being awestruck at the ridiculous pointed shoes he was wearing).

Rodger Wylde (remember him scoring away at Rotherham then milking the applause from the Latics' fans in the away end (Emlyn Hughes eeeeawwwww was playing & we won 2-1).

Simon Stainrod he was class as well (remember him winding up Terry Curran v Sheff Wed & then bricking it in the main stand paddock as the Wedneday fans rioted when Curran got sent off, also remember Jack Charlton crying like a baby on one of those loud hailer things as all hell let loose around Boundary Park) Happy Days! Monday...Tuesday.....Who the fcuk are Wednesday?

Guest oa_exile
Nowadays a player would tell the Police you were stalking him.

When I look back it was the start of what has been a lucrative career in stalking players for free match tickets :grin:

Lucky after 36 years of watching the Tics I got to see a fair few good uns, Valentine, Wylde, Stainrod, Vic Halom, Harry Dowd and Jim Fryatt in no particular order.
thats about the same as me but add david shaw and maurice whittle to the list , my non latics player was the late jimmy jonstone of celtic

Guest oa_exile
Alan Groves was my favourite. I used to copy the tricks he did in my first Latics kit (complete with number 11 on the shirt & shorts).

The guy was awesome & I have never seen anyone since who compares to him.

Who has anyone seen who took the mick out of fullbacks the way he did? (maybe goofynaldo at manure).

Who remembers him sitting on the ball waiting for the opposition to come & get the ball off him?

He was different class. (he had a dodgy haircut though? like the bloke out of Boney M).

>>Alan Groves<<

For anyone that is interested there is a whole section in the Archives on Latics Legends and members posting memories of them.

>>Legend of the Week<<

Edited by oa_exile