Who Was Your Favourite Childhood Player ?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Valentine, Halom and, above all, the god who was Stainrod. Does anyone remember tat goal at Preston? He beat 3-4 players from the halfway line. It was disallowed. A few minutes later he did it again.

Big Vic was also a class act. However, I could never quite forgive Alan Young for leaving. Funny how some things stick, but I can't stand Leicester to this day.

I still can rememeber playing Sunderland at BP it must have been the first time that Vic had played against Sunderland since his move.

Sunderland fans coming on the pitch and raising him aloft and throwing scarves at him , he really was a Legend at Roker Park as part of their FA CUp winning team.

yeah, I remember that. Vic was on the pitch doing a warm up before the match and then there was a big pitch invasion. Everyone thought it was going to be ariot, but they all just took their scarves off and hung em round his neck. Never forget that.

Valentine, Halom and, above all, the god who was Stainrod. Does anyone remember tat goal at Preston? He beat 3-4 players from the halfway line. It was disallowed. A few minutes later he did it again.

yeah i remember that, scored the second and looked round at the linesman as if to say any problems with that.

Black armband day when he left.

OK, so it was Andy Goram for me really, but I have blanked that from my memory.

March 16th 2002, the day my childhood hero was unmasked as a big fat past it fraud! To be serious Goram was awesome when he was here first time, his agility defied gravity on occasions. It's just a shame muppet wadsworth thought a guy that had barely played in 2 seasons could do a job. Even Fergie subbed him at half-time the season before when playing for the Scum vs Coventry, after Hartson had made a mug of him twice!

Non-Latics heroes Gary Lineker, First full game I ever watched was the '86 Cup Final and his exploits during Mexico '86 had me well and truly hooked. The football obsession was completed with my first 'live' game at a chilly Boundary Park in November '86. Never got to see him 'live' though, something that rankles as I missed the 1-0 win vs Spurs in '92.

Gazza, too many remember him post knee injury - the bloated piss head, but that lad between the ages of 17-24 was something really special. Such a shame he chose Spurs, I'm sure Fergie would've got the very best out of him on and off the field, what a waste) Again never got to see him 'live'.

Neville Southall (being a keeper myself) The best keeper the British Isles has produced since Banks imo, shame he's such a a tosspot! Pulled off miraculous stops week in week out and I still remember his super show in the Littlewoods Cup Replay in November '88, we should have scored 6, but Southall kept it to nil and we were mugged 2-0 late on.

Sean McCarthy

Lee Richardson

whenever I played Football if I wasnt Roberto Baggio or Ruud Gullit I pretended to be one of those two

McCarthy was pooooor!

Richard Koweniki for me.

Edited by mr_latics

Nick Henry and Mike Milligan (changed a bit randomly)

Lee Richardson

(Due to transfers)

Tricky Ricky Holden for me - my mate & me used to play "Latics" on the street with my mini goal post set & i'd be Holden whipping in the crosses & my mate would be Stitch banging them in the goal!

In full kits the both of us; them were the days!!! :D

got a few of my favourites there, valentine, wylde, stainrod, halom. looking back weve got a lot to thank our past strikers for keeping us in div2, you can add youngy and stevie taylor to them as well.

Got to admit the king of all geordies was my favourite, scored a hat-trick against carlisle in front of MOTD cameras on their first visit to bp, he was the stereotypical old fashoined centre-forword big and powerful in the air (well he seemed to be then as I was only a nipper).

Yep they are mine too

valentine, wylde, stainrod, halom

Add in Steve Taylor (later rescinded due to meeting him in the flesh), and Groves

Although I later saw the light, and admired Ian Wood and Keith Hicks, because I had a great understanding of the game that it wasn't just attacking that won games!!

Edited by singe

Guest oa_exile
I did :grin:

Thought so :grin: I actually like Super Sean myself ^_^ think he was underated as we were blessed with great strikers before he came along.

Edited by oa_exile

For his goal at Old Trafford alone he should go down as a latics legend

Whilst I'm here, with access to a disc of old files and all that, this is why Soooper Sean had such a fat aris, set this up before he finished playing and apparently he ate all the profits, profits in this instance spelt - p i e s !

mccarthysgc3.jpg

Once used in a reserve team report when we played home games at Hurst Cross. 19th September 2001 to be exact

McCarthys dial a cake, how good is that?

Edited by StipeTripe

yeah, I remember that. Vic was on the pitch doing a warm up before the match and then there was a big pitch invasion. Everyone thought it was going to be ariot, but they all just took their scarves off and hung em round his neck. Never forget that.

and those who ran on the pitch were removed from the ground by the :bobby: which did not go down well with us latic fans as we boohed them for removing them

Alan Groves was my favourite. I used to copy the tricks he did in my first Latics kit (complete with number 11 on the shirt & shorts).

The guy was awesome & I have never seen anyone since who compares to him.

Who has anyone seen who took the mick out of fullbacks the way he did? (maybe goofynaldo at manure).

Who remembers him sitting on the ball waiting for the opposition to come & get the ball off him?

He was different class. (he had a dodgy haircut though? like the bloke out of Boney M).

My other favourites:

Maurice Whittle - Free kick & penalty expert! (He could strike a dead ball as hard as anyone I've ever seen)

Shoot!......Shoot!.......Shoot!.........Shoot! (classic chant) BANG!!!! GOAL!

Vic Halom 'King of all Geordies!'

Steve Taylor (Only because he was the first Latics autograph I got when he came to our school one day with Les Chapman, I remember being awestruck at the ridiculous pointed shoes he was wearing).

Rodger Wylde (remember him scoring away at Rotherham then milking the applause from the Latics' fans in the away end (Emlyn Hughes eeeeawwwww was playing & we won 2-1).

Simon Stainrod he was class as well (remember him winding up Terry Curran v Sheff Wed & then bricking it in the main stand paddock as the Wedneday fans rioted when Curran got sent off, also remember Jack Charlton crying like a baby on one of those loud hailer things as all hell let loose around Boundary Park) Happy Days! Monday...Tuesday.....Who the fcuk are Wednesday?

the good old days

Has to be Stainrod for me, still remember the game against Preston and his reaction to the linesman after he scored "was that one alright then ?" - brilliant. Plus his debut at Ewood Park still the best I've seen by any Latics player over the years.