Who Was Your Favourite Childhood Player ?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I only ever wanted to be a goalkeeper, and never played in any other position, I used to watch in awe of Fred Ogden, George Burnett, Eamonn D'Arcy. Johnny Bollands (first time around) just squeezes in before I was 12. The outfield players that stick in the mind are George Hardwick, Bill Naylor, Ronnie Fawley, Archie White, Lewis Brook, Don Travis, Eric Gemmell. And that barely scratches the surface.

Since I was 12 - not enough room on here for them.

Edited by Bristolatic

I will never forget our best ever left back, Maurice Whittle........ As already stated, free kick and penalty expert, didnt just score from the penalty spot either. He loved to get down the left wing. He was a great character who would turn and wink at us in the Chaddy end whilst patrolling the goalpost waiting for a corner to be taken. Always had a big cheeky smile on his face.

In the same team was our best ever right back, Ian Wood. He scored a few as well. The coolest guy in the team.

The opposition didnt score many against those two!!!!

Tricky Ricky Holden on the wing. I would be sat on the wall by the left-wing pitchside as he'd charge towards the Chaddy End, possibly after some neat work with Andy Barlow - I can still remember the sound of the ball skimming along the top of the astro-turf as he ran passed. "C'mon Ricky!" Never did get a Trilby though...