Olympics - Opening Ceremony

Looking forward to the olympics. Be it I only really like watching the Athletics (The 100m's is going to be good) events and the Boxing. Shame one of the British lads has been sent home from the latter already after failing to make his weight - only days after saying he was fine and everything was going well. Hmmm ^_^

[ the lighting of the flame was the best part of the opening ceremony

There were many astonishing parts of the ceremony better than the brilliant lighting of the flame.

Apparently, an hour after the end of the ceremony, the 90,000 crowd had disperesed and there was not one piece of litter to be seen.

I hope when London/England/Britain do it, some fat bloke in a stained vest walks into the middle of the stadium with a sparkler, and lights up a single crappy firework that you can get from the supermarket. Throws a few devil bangers on the ground on his way out and get's offered a pint a kebab and a bag of chips as he exits.

That would be tremendous

nice says onslow
kua03_7.jpg Edited by boboafc

I like the Olympics a lot and although I really dislike China's human rights record there is no way any British sporting team should be pulled out of an Olympics all together. Even when the Ruskies invaded Afghanistan we competed (albeit not as GB&NI but as the Olympic association and under the Olympic flag). I'm not happy that athletes who obviously wanted to protest at the poor humanitarian record of China were told not to (some French bloke, i think, wanted to wear a pin as was told not to- and I bet if some British athletes had be allowed they would have doen something similar). The Olympics is all about higher, faster, stronger and once the decision had been made for the games to go ahead in Beijing then that's all there is to it (I know I'd have been beyond annoyed if something I had worked my life towards was taken away from me because of politics). The mistake the IOC did was to award the games to Beijing on the promise that they would improve their human rights record and not taken it away when they obviously didn't (nevermind awarding it to them in the first place).

I can almost guarantee that those people who are volunteers at these games are just that volunteers as I think it would be the sort of thing that they would be proud to do. I volunteered for Manchester 2002 (as did my parents) only to end finding a paid job that the organisers had decided was the only thing I was only capable for (but two weeks later having sent my volunteer application in much earlier) and I had a great time (didn't get to see a lot of sporting activity but in the end I couldn't have cared less). The only good thing for me at the moment about London having the next games is the possibilty of doing something very similar (although I will be better qualifed by then- just by being over 25- so won't get treated as poorly by the organisers) and I know my Mum fancies doing the same thing she did for Manchester. (Hint For anyone interested who doesn't have any significant skills I'd brush up on some of the rules and regulations for some of the stuff we don't do a lot of in the UK but is in the Olympics- a lot of the judges will be volunteers too).

Missed the opening ceremony for obvious reasons. The human rights issue has been tacked onto the event because of its magnitude but the thing is theres so many issues in all areas of the world that arnt fair or right not just Tibet. Fair play if they people wish to protest but id rather enjoy the Olympics in a sporting context, personally i love it particularly the track events. Watched the swimming this morning, the americans and aussies are league ahead of everyone else better facilities and attitude to sport is my opinion on why thats the case