Blue Square Premier pays tribute to Ernie

A minute's silence is to be held before every game in what used to be the Conference this weekend, and it started with an impeccably observed period before Barrow vs Oxford live on Setanta.

A nice touch I thought.

Might be worth going round some forums tonight/tomorrow morning to let fans know the kind of guy they'll be paying tribute to.

LINK

Yes it is and it says a lot that it's happening in the 'non league' and that nobody on the governing bodies in either of the 2 Football Leagues he played in has thought of it

Ernie was a Millwall fan and a Rochdale player, so immediately prior to the next two games we'll witness more emotion expressed than at all the other grounds put together.

DO IT FOR ERNIE!

Guest gillianfn
Good to see it being a minute's silence too, rather than the awful minute's applause.

I've been speaking with Ernie's sister today, she has been so moved at the things that people have done, especially the things that will help to keep his memory alive. Ernie was a Millwall mascot and loved the club - some of their fans have contacted me this week in relation to Factor 50 - have sent donations and offered to help with the collection - he was clearly loved by an awful lot of people.

A minute's silence is to be held before every game in what used to be the Conference this weekend, and it started with an impeccably observed period before Barrow vs Oxford live on Setanta.

A nice touch I thought.

Might be worth going round some forums tonight/tomorrow morning to let fans know the kind of guy they'll be paying tribute to.

LINK

Just been looking on line at the Ebbsfleet United matchday programme for tomorrow. It contains a picture of Ernie and an explanation of the reason for the minute's silence. It also mentions that donations can be made vis Grays Athletic. I presume the same piece has been included in all Conference club programmes.

Yep - I meant it was good to see the conference games were doing silence, as opposed to our applause.

Sorry I'll try to keep up!!

I agree with you really. I do think silence is more dignified and applause 'so Italian!'

I suppose my view is that applause should be more about celebrating a life well run whereas silence is more about tragedy and life cut short which is what this is. Not everybody would agree with me on this though.

Think I might be writing rubbish now so I'll go to bed.

Thanks Ernie, our time of need and you were there.

Edited by astottie

sorry to keep popping up on your new threads for a much longer time than usual, but having 'looked from the outside in' on this i can now say that i can see a part for the applause in the football related rememberance. theres no way louise (and i use her name in overfamiliarience (is that a new word?) rather than aquaitance) could have attended last night with a silence. firstly it would have been heartbreak over heartbreak and secondly it would have been ruined. i missed it, i was late and so were many others, imagine the sound of a couple of hundred traffic caused late latics stumbling thru gates which included a few 'unforseen' intoxicated cash arrivals? time plays its part, obviousy, but last night could have been an unfortunate end to ernies legacy. instead i believe that it could be the beginning of more active promotion of causes that matter. i would also like to pay my personal tribute to markoasis for the banners. even if i missed them en masse, i scene them. brilliant.

sorry to keep popping up on your new threads for a much longer time than usual, but having 'looked from the outside in' on this i can now say that i can see a part for the applause in the football related rememberance. theres no way louise (and i use her name in overfamiliarience (is that a new word?) rather than aquaitance) could have attended last night with a silence. firstly it would have been heartbreak over heartbreak and secondly it would have been ruined. i missed it, i was late and so were many others, imagine the sound of a couple of hundred traffic caused late latics stumbling thru gates which included a few 'unforseen' intoxicated cash arrivals? time plays its part, obviousy, but last night could have been an unfortunate end to ernies legacy. instead i believe that it could be the beginning of more active promotion of causes that matter. i would also like to pay my personal tribute to markoasis for the banners. even if i missed them en masse, i scene them. brilliant.

No worries mate ...... just glad people felt they added to the celebration of ernies life.