Strike pair

Against Hull Alessandra and Smalley showed how ineffective Davies and O'Grady had been. Today Alessaandra and Hughes with the help of Whittaker transformed the game. Think they are the best strike pair at present

Lewis seems to be able to play with anybody. This is a major asset.

For me a fit Hughes is easily our best man up front.

As I've said on other posts, this is the first time the two have played together (I think) and we score 3 in a few minutes.

Davies doesn't use his pace enough. O'Grady has promise. Smalley's a wide man. Wolfy's not quite good enough.

So I'm with you - Lewis A and Hughsey to start the key games.

I think that O grady and Davies would have benefitted from the service that Hughes and Lewi received.Throughout their time on the pitch they were invariably playing with their backs to goal.

Probably,the introduction of Whittaker(who created far more of an attacking threat than Maher) was the major factor for the revival,although he was assisted by top performances from Taylor,Hughes and Liddell.

Guest sheridans_world

While I think Hughesy is a damn good player I dont think we need him every game. He needs a break every now and then, he's getting on a bit but otherwise. Class act, I hope he stays fit, I can see us challenging the likes of Leeds, MK Franchise and Leicester if he stays fit and finds the target.

We have one proven goal machine on the books... And then alot of youngsters who may or may not step up to the mark.... Any sensible conversation about the starting two up front is really a conversation about who will partner Hughes... I take Sherdian worlds point about we probably need to rest him from time to time but he is my starting man for at least 3/4 of the season... We cant get up without him... I firmly belive that.

davies and ogrady cantg play together to similar. needs to be one of them with Hughes for sure.

I don't think they are that similar at all. O'Grady holds the ball up alot more and uses his strength whereas Davies is tricky and pacey. I thought they both did well and got in some good positions.

IMHO both Davis and O'Grady looked very ordinary today and never really worried Milwall - when Hughes and Lewis came on they pulled the defence all over and threatened continuously - think its pretty clear that we would have lost that game today without the subs - that says it all - either Lewis or Hughes up top or even both ! The other 2 huffed and puffed but never looked threatening !. Bring on the dale !!

We were also playing 10 men for most of the time it was Hughes and Allesandra upfront.

I think this is a point that seems to have been ignored on many of the threads tonight. Millwall panciked when the man got sent off and Jackett dropped a cod by leaving 2 men up front and giving us more space in midfield which Whittaker and Taylor exploited to the full.

However, whereas before Allot and Maher played side by side 30 yards adrift of the forwards and passed the ball sideways to each other and the back 4, Whittaker took the ball forward making their back 4 come out. Hughes came deeper to receive the ball causing the same effect and basically it all fell into place, great finshing and a brill free kick. Absolutely fantastic comeback and result but lets not forget we were 2nd best by a distance for 60+ minutes. Will be a different side on Tuesday me thinks.

Davies and O'Grady played a little too far away from each other. Everytime Grady got the ball he was swamped by players without an outlet and had to play it backwards.

Davies enjoys using his pace for the ball in behind the defense and it wasn't really that kind of game.

The two don't look that great together at the moment, but I think they'd still trouble a lot of defenses with a more attacking minded midfield. Phillips or Whittaker would make a big difference as I felt allott and Maher looked poor together in the centre.

I'm curious to see how Hughes and O'Grady would play together but have to admit that Hughes and Alessandra have prob earned a start.

I think that O grady and Davies would have benefitted from the service that Hughes and Lewi received.Throughout their time on the pitch they were invariably playing with their backs to goal.

Probably,the introduction of Whittaker(who created far more of an attacking threat than Maher) was the major factor for the revival,although he was assisted by top performances from Taylor,Hughes and Liddell.

I sort of agree, but i thought much of the good service came as a result of Hughes and Lewis movement off the ball being a lot better, therefore creating a lot of space.