A better freekick?

Very entertaining game today, if not the best in terms of football (at least until the last 20 minutes).

Thought that the atmosphere was good - perhaps aided by the fact we were a bit more squeezed in than normal due to the Lookers (got used to the new look BP quickly to be honest). Also like the new 'quick' ballboy thing - get more football for your money!

Finally - that freekick. I cannot remember Latics ever scoring a better worked free-kick in all my times watching Latics. Brilliant end to a game and worthy of 3 points all on its own.

Very entertaining game today, if not the best in terms of football (at least until the last 20 minutes).

Thought that the atmosphere was good - perhaps aided by the fact we were a bit more squeezed in than normal due to the Lookers (got used to the new look BP quickly to be honest). Also like the new 'quick' ballboy thing - get more football for your money!

Finally - that freekick. I cannot remember Latics ever scoring a better worked free-kick in all my times watching Latics. Brilliant end to a game and worthy of 3 points all on its own.

I actually thought we had wasted it when Eardley passed it instead of just cracking it as per normal. How wrong I was! Sublime strike from Taylor.

Corners still need some work because to be honest they looked piss poor, but the freekicks were much better all round.

I actually thought we had wasted it when Eardley passed it instead of just cracking it as per normal. How wrong I was! Sublime strike from Taylor.

Corners still need some work because to be honest they looked piss poor, but the freekicks were much better all round.

was listening to GMR on the way home and Shez was saying to the reporter that he had to take the credit for that one, they had only tried it yesterday, taylor scored then too, but says that it's basically a one off as he thinks that teams will look out for it?

said they had one or two others in the bag ready too!!

personally speaking... i don't think you'll see a better, planned and executed set piece even when the greedy league starts up next week!

i think the ref even seemed to apologise to him when he booked taylor for his celebrations!!

It was obviously they had summot planned and I have to admit I was expecting them to waste it but that must've been the best worked free-kick I've ever seen.

Just a shame if we try summot like that again and it doesn't come off it will more than likely be met with a chorus of moans

As did I, I think the actual words were 'What the f*ck was YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!'

Never seen a better worked free kick ever.and will never seen a better worked, better timed free kiick ever in the future. :D

Reminded me of Argentina's equaliser v England in 1998.

Except better!

You get the feeling that if that had been scored in Euro 2008 by Spain / Portugal it would be remembered as one the goals of the championship.

I'm a big fan of well worked free-kicks and it was pleasing for me for the best example to be an Latics one. I think Eardley's cock up of the first one helped. Would agree with the fact that if a team in a higher league or at international level had done something similar (if not the same) then it would be talked about as a legendary set-piece but with Oldham its just a good free-kick just shows how biased football reporting can be.

The 4th goal was a thing of beauty. Brilliantly designed and superbly executed. Add in that it clinched a seven goal come from behind thriller and that made it even better. It was also testament to the work put in by Shez and the boys in an area where we have been pisspoor for seasons. Hopefully, this means the coaching staff have realised that games can be won by simple routines and drills. Some work on corners would be nice now. :)

I'm surprised though that nobody has mentioned our first goal. It was another deliberate set piece free-kick with Liddell hanging back after the rest charged forward and Maher picking him out with an astute cross behind the runners. Ok so it was a bit scruffy in execution in that it went in off Lidds' chest but it was a well worked move all the same.

Guest oa_exile
The 4th goal was a thing of beauty. Brilliantly designed and superbly executed. Add in that it clinched a seven goal come from behind thriller and that made it even better. It was also testament to the work put in by Shez and the boys in an area where we have been pisspoor for seasons. Hopefully, this means the coaching staff have realised that games can be won by simple routines and drills. Some work on corners would be nice now. :)

I'm surprised though that nobody has mentioned our first goal. It was another deliberate set piece free-kick with Liddell hanging back after the rest charged forward and Maher picking him out with an astute cross behind the runners. Ok so it was a bit scruffy in execution in that it went in off Lidds' chest but it was a well worked move all the same.

Just gotta sort them corners out now :wink:

The 4th goal was a thing of beauty. Brilliantly designed and superbly executed. Add in that it clinched a seven goal come from behind thriller and that made it even better.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Sitting in the Chaddy behind the goal, we experienced extremes of emotion during the aternoon. In particular there was;

the simplicity of the early opening goal;

bewilderment at the cocked up second Millwall goal;

the bringing down of Hughes for the penalty/sending off;

Hughes wanting to take the penalty, but seeing sense and giving the ball to 'never-miss' Liddle;

the brilliant through ball to Hughes, his great low cross and Alessandra's brilliant finish; and then

the icing on the cake with that free kick.

Sometimes I feel the gods have decided we Latics fans have suffered enough and deserve a glimpse of paradise. I'd like to think the lads did it for Ernie yesterday (even though we were playing the club he suported as a boy). With him looking down on us, he must have had the perfect afternoon and I bet he went beserk like the rest of us when the winner went in.

I don't watch Sky TV, but from what people tell me about the Soccer AM programme, I would be surprised if they don't feature that brilliantly executed free-kick next Saturday.

As did I, I think the actual words were 'What the f*ck was YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!'

It was more like an, "GO ON!!.. oh no. yes...oh, Taylor, :bblue2::bblue2::bblue2::bblue2::bblue2::bblue2: "

Don't think there's been jumping about like that since Scunny away - or maybe Millwall away? Those boys really don't like Mr Hughes!

It was obviously they had summot planned and I have to admit I was expecting them to waste it but that must've been the best worked free-kick I've ever seen.

Just a shame if we try summot like that again and it doesn't come off it will more than likely be met with a chorus of moans

9 times out of 10 now we can just let Eardley hoof it or Hughes/Lids try to place it, defences will be bricking it of Taylor now :wink:

*opens himself up for a torrent of abuse*

... but, was it actaully that good?? two five yard passes and then a fantastic hit... to be honest, the skill was in the shot, and without that fantastic strike, all we really got was a well executed shift of the ball..

Now, dont get me wrong, it was a great free-kick, but to say it was the best we have ever seen is wrong... we have just been used to lots of drivel... the true great free kicks are when the taker genuinely bamboozles the defence.... Wellens at wolves springs to mind...???

Great, great goal, however was a pretty basic ball shift... its just hardly anyone tries this andf goes for the big whack, so anything like this really stands out...

I aint complaining though... :tongue1: ... and as Lees says, with taylor, Maher, Allott, eards, hughesy and that old slow fella we havent half got some options from free kicks (and long range shooting in general!)

... but, was it actaully that good?? two five yard passes and then a fantastic hit... to be honest, the skill was in the shot, and without that fantastic strike, all we really got was a well executed shift of the ball..

Now, dont get me wrong, it was a great free-kick, but to say it was the best we have ever seen is wrong... we have just been used to lots of drivel... the true great free kicks are when the taker genuinely bamboozles the defence.... Wellens at wolves springs to mind...???

Great, great goal, however was a pretty basic ball shift... its just hardly anyone tries this andf goes for the big whack, so anything like this really stands out...

I aint complaining though... :tongue1: ... and as Lees says, with taylor, Maher, Allott, eards, hughesy and that old slow fella we havent half got some options from free kicks (and long range shooting in general!)

Just as that Argentinian goal v England in 1998 was a "well executed shift of the ball".

In fact both that one and Taylor's were well constructed, well executed goals of stunning quality and would make the MOTD Goal of the Month candidate list without any doubt whatsoever.

When did you sign up, BigFin?

I was referring to the "old slow fella" part. :wink:

606 is a bit dull. Hardly anyone posting.

Back on topic, it's such a shame that the camera work on The Championship was so poor. Even so, the free kick looked terrific. I haven't seen anything like that at BP for many years.

Edited by Zorrro

I was referring to the "old slow fella" part. :wink:

606 is a bit dull. Hardly anyone posting.

Back on topic, it's such a shame that the camera work on The Championship was so poor. Even so, the free kick looked terrific. I haven't seen anything like that at BP for many years.

I know you were fella... trust me, In comparison to Mr Liddell, I am very much a spring chicken... the slow bit, well... of course now lids is the self confessed second fastest in the team, obviously that is untrue :wink:

The camerawork was shoddy.... the cameraman blatantly wasnt expecting anything other than a big whack...

It just shows how much anything even remotely creative takes everyone by surprise....