A better freekick?

The 4th goal was a thing of beauty. Brilliantly designed and superbly executed. Add in that it clinched a seven goal come from behind thriller and that made it even better. It was also testament to the work put in by Shez and the boys in an area where we have been pisspoor for seasons. Hopefully, this means the coaching staff have realised that games can be won by simple routines and drills. Some work on corners would be nice now. :)

I'm surprised though that nobody has mentioned our first goal. It was another deliberate set piece free-kick with Liddell hanging back after the rest charged forward and Maher picking him out with an astute cross behind the runners. Ok so it was a bit scruffy in execution in that it went in off Lidds' chest but it was a well worked move all the same.

I think that you'll find the 4th goal was a complete disaster caused by a massive looping deflection that Norm failed to deal with.

The 7th - now that WAS a thing of beauty ^_^

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Sitting in the Chaddy behind the goal, we experienced extremes of emotion during the aternoon. In particular there was;

the simplicity of the early opening goal;

bewilderment at the cocked up second Millwall goal;

the bringing down of Hughes for the penalty/sending off;

Hughes wanting to take the penalty, but seeing sense and giving the ball to 'never-miss' Liddle;

the brilliant through ball to Hughes, his great low cross and Alessandra's brilliant finish; and then

the icing on the cake with that free kick.

Sometimes I feel the gods have decided we Latics fans have suffered enough and deserve a glimpse of paradise. I'd like to think the lads did it for Ernie yesterday (even though we were playing the club he suported as a boy). With him looking down on us, he must have had the perfect afternoon and I bet he went beserk like the rest of us when the winner went in.

I don't watch Sky TV, but from what people tell me about the Soccer AM programme, I would be surprised if they don't feature that brilliantly executed free-kick next Saturday.

After his bust up with Craig Davies last season, Hughes has now started picking on Lidds............... :o

I also think yesterday what was brilliant was the way we defended at 4-3 . Hughes used his bags of experience in the corner. And even kicked it away at one point and got away with it:D

KTF

Hughes and Taylor were immense at that stage of the game. Hughes was very lucky not to get a second yellow for kicking the ball away - he needs to avoid doing such daft things to undo all his excellent work.

It was the multiple diversions that created the time and space for Taylor to finish it, see for example how it probably wouldn't have worked if Eardley hadn't sent the lad who ran out to block on his way, guaranteeing he would be a yard slower next time.

I also realised watching the replays that it was Hughesy who won the winning freekick by turning his marker......meaning he had a major hand in all 3 goals. :)

I think we maybe ought to brace ourselves for bids come January.....the bloke is clearly too good for this division.

Having watched the feekick a few times on TV I have come to two possible comclusions:

1) It wasn't quite as good as I thought - yes its good, but the "it was just a shift and a hit" isn't that far off

OR

2) The angle and zoom didn't show the goal off to its true glory.

On the day, the curl of the shot and the quick pace of the paces seemed out of this league (and the one above) but the TV replay makes it look a very good, but not great goal.

Anyway - I enjoyed it immensely. And even if it was just very good, its still 100 times better than most of the free-kicks we produce.