Demar Phillips

was watchin the extended highlights of the game yesterday, during the applause for Ernie the camera panned to the bench, Demar was there, at least i think it was him wearing no37, so the deal is still ongoing, with him added to the squad, final piece of the jigsaw? i think so, you? hey another thing, Demar is an anagram of DREAM eerie or what, and phillips is an anagram of

Phils Lip not so eerie, ahh well i;ll get me coat!

was watchin the extended highlights of the game yesterday, during the applause for Ernie the camera panned to the bench, Demar was there, at least i think it was him wearing no37, so the deal is still ongoing, with him added to the squad, final piece of the jigsaw? i think so, you? hey another thing, Demar is an anagram of DREAM eerie or what, and phillips is an anagram of

Phils Lip not so eerie, ahh well i;ll get me coat!

BUT... i wouldn't drop lidds on his performance yesterday, nor taylor, or lomax, so where does he fit in?

I think Shez has more of a squad mentality this time round as oppose to a first 11 mentality. Some players may not like it, but if we want promotion that's the way it will be. So on that basis I think there is room for Mr Hill pips.

Not the end of the world if no agreement can be made,there will be other players available on loan! maybe not for a full season,but a season is a long time to pay a big wage to someone who may be no better than what we have already.

It's been said before but what is the point of having a player at the club for a month and THEN NOT being able to agree terms.

Surely everything should have been agreed in principle before he kicked a ball.

He's played in three or four friendlies in place of our own players who needed games for match fitness.

It's so bloody frustrating when this type of thing happens!!!!

Anybody agree?

dont agree with the 'having to wait for stoke' crap - when we were organising for him to come on trial with us there should automatically, out of common sense, have been discussions with regards to his wage and what deal could be done, then we could have worked out within 1/2 weeks if we could afford him or not, thereby being able to send him back, not getting fans hopes up over nothing and then giving our own players a chance or get someone else in.

cant believe we've dithered for 4 weeks. im also sure that there are other people at the club other than the stoke CE who could have dealt with the situation as well if he was busy.

its like test driving a car for 4 weeks and then asking what the price is - you ask for the price first before you even take the car out of the car park so you know what your having to pay/lettin yourself in for.

Guest oa_exile
It's been said before but what is the point of having a player at the club for a month and THEN NOT being able to agree terms.

Surely everything should have been agreed in principle before he kicked a ball.

He's played in three or four friendlies in place of our own players who needed games for match fitness.

It's so bloody frustrating when this type of thing happens!!!!

Anybody agree?

Posted pretty much the same on an earlier thread, surely the Club's and player should have had premilary discussions before he arrived ?

dont agree with the 'having to wait for stoke' crap - when we were organising for him to come on trial with us there should automatically, out of common sense, have been discussions with regards to his wage and what deal could be done, then we could have worked out within 1/2 weeks if we could afford him or not, thereby being able to send him back, not getting fans hopes up over nothing and then giving our own players a chance or get someone else in.

cant believe we've dithered for 4 weeks. im also sure that there are other people at the club other than the stoke CE who could have dealt with the situation as well if he was busy.

its like test driving a car for 4 weeks and then asking what the price is - you ask for the price first before you even take the car out of the car park so you know what your having to pay/lettin yourself in for.

i have to agree,a deal should have been mentioned and things put in place prior to his arrival and prior to stokes departure....sloppyness not to have at least a verbal agreement of some kind in place.......

as for being no better than we currently have.....i dont recall us having a pacey left winger in our squad.....

there would always be room for a player of his type and calibre,and there is no saying lidds would have to be dropped to accomodate him,different systems for different games means keeping things fresh and players on there toes.....you could just as easily say liddlle could be pants for the next 4 games couldnt you.

i have to agree,a deal should have been mentioned and things put in place prior to his arrival and prior to stokes departure....sloppyness not to have at least a verbal agreement of some kind in place.......

as for being no better than we currently have.....i dont recall us having a pacey left winger in our squad.....

there would always be room for a player of his type and calibre,and there is no saying lidds would have to be dropped to accomodate him,different systems for different games means keeping things fresh and players on there toes.....you could just as easily say liddlle could be pants for the next 4 games couldnt you.

I think the arrival of Meher may have soaked up some of the funds available to spend on Phillips.... No meher then i hink Phillips would have been playing against Millwall...

why would you agree terms beforehand for someone who was coming on TRIAL?

what deals did we have in place for all the other trialists we have had this pre-season?

Guest oa_exile
why would you agree terms beforehand for someone who was coming on TRIAL?

Erhhhhh :blink: maybe because he is on Championship wages ? and is still under contract ? pretty obvious BEFORE he comes for a trial we cannot afford him , as in pay his full salary :huh:

Erhhhhh :blink: maybe because he is on Championship wages ? and is still under contract ? pretty obvious BEFORE he comes for a trial we cannot afford him , as in pay his full salary :huh:

so what t if he comes from the championship!, he may have been crap and sent home after 45mins, why agree terms with a club and personal terms with a player if you dont know if he is good enough or if he is going to fit in with the current set up

its not exactly a trial if its all agreed beforehand.

Guest oa_exile
so what t if he comes from the championship!, he may have been crap and sent home after 45mins, why agree terms with a club and personal terms with a player if you dont know if he is good enough or if he is going to fit in with the current set up

Aye , let's leave it for three weeks then instead and then make a Harry Halls of it then :wink:

Your missing the point....What is the point of taking a player on trial IF you can't afford the terms?

Obvious question...Oldham.... If the player proves his worth and fancies the 12month loan what sort of money would you be asking?

Stoke.....About £3000 a week.

Forget it as we can't afford it!!

Hardly rocket science is it!

I just feel that if he doesn't sign due to money then the whole saga has been totally unesscesary!!!

Guest oa_exile
I think some people on here obviously haven't negotiated for anything in their life. Do you put in an offer for a house before you have seen it????

That is the whole point of the discussion Jim , we have seen it :blink:

I guess there's a certain amount of brinksmanship involved, Stoke want to see if they think it will do him good with us, we want to show them that it would, so they may as well chip in to have him play here. It works both ways. What are Stoke going to do with him now if we don't come to a deal, pay his whole wages when he won't get near the first team? It might be that we are offering the best deal they will get at this stage and we get a good deal on the cheap.

Taken from todays Chronicle

ATHLETIC’S move for Stoke City winger Demar Phillips is on the brink of falling through.

Despite lengthy negotiations, the clubs have still failed to agree financial terms for Phillips to join on loan.

The Jamaican international (pictured above) has been at Boundary Park for almost a month and played in four of Athletic’s pre-season friendlies.

Manager John Sheridan remains keen to bring him in, but Athletic are reluctant to stretch their budget too far after making a host of signings during the close-season.

The chances of a deal being struck appear to be dwindling, although Sheridan could provide some leeway by sending a handful of fringe players out on loan.

Athletic are also trying to offload midfield man JP Kalala before the transfer window closes at the end of this month.

Shame i thought he would be good for Oldham!!

Taken from todays Chronicle

ATHLETIC’S move for Stoke City winger Demar Phillips is on the brink of falling through.

Despite lengthy negotiations, the clubs have still failed to agree financial terms for Phillips to join on loan.

The Jamaican international (pictured above) has been at Boundary Park for almost a month and played in four of Athletic’s pre-season friendlies.

Manager John Sheridan remains keen to bring him in, but Athletic are reluctant to stretch their budget too far after making a host of signings during the close-season.

The chances of a deal being struck appear to be dwindling, although Sheridan could provide some leeway by sending a handful of fringe players out on loan.

Athletic are also trying to offload midfield man JP Kalala before the transfer window closes at the end of this month.

Shame i thought he would be good for Oldham!!

Just hope it doesn't come back to haunt us...Just think if he signs for Hudds, Leeds or Tranmere and helps get them up at our expense!!!!!