What's wrong with

Never lets us down. Why the big emergency for a new left back?

Fair question.....I would say Shez maybe see's Kelvin as cover for either full back position once he can secure a 'first team' left back. But I agree he could well be that first team left back, right footed or not. Or maybe Shez simply wants to further his '2 players for every position' policy.

Fair question.....I would say Shez maybe see's Kelvin as cover for either full back position once he can secure a 'first team' left back. But I agree he could well be that first team left back, right footed or not. Or maybe Shez simply wants to further his '2 players for every position' policy.

Whilst I agree he has never let anybody down, for a team chasing promotion, Kelvin would only ever be seen as back up. Whilst the goal was ridiculously early on Saturday, the guy was allowed to stick his cross over unchallenged wit Kelvin nowhee to be seen - a carbon copy of the goal Hull scored. He's only young (although older than Eards) but he needs to step up a level defensively. I would like us to get in an experienced guy rather than another kid with his Premiergreed employers calling the shots. Of course funds dictate what will happen, but on Saturday's performance no way should Taylor be sacificed to play left back EVER!

Lomax was again our best defender on Saturday. As usual.

If you watch the 1st again when they celebrate someone runs from the right. Thats a player who went further down the line and runs back to celebrate. Thats who Lomax was marking.

Lomax was again our best defender on Saturday. As usual.

If you watch the 1st again when they celebrate someone runs from the right. Thats a player who went further down the line and runs back to celebrate. Thats who Lomax was marking.

personally i had taylor at fault for the 1st goal. Came all the way into midfield for no reason Kelvin went with the other guy. When the ball came back for the cross there was no one there but if taylor had kept his shape he could have put a challenge in.

Actually thought taylor had one of his best games on the left saturday but that was one mistake but he made up for it with the goal and 3 decent crosses into the box that someone should have been on the end off

personally i had taylor at fault for the 1st goal. Came all the way into midfield for no reason Kelvin went with the other guy. When the ball came back for the cross there was no one there but if taylor had kept his shape he could have put a challenge in.

Actually thought taylor had one of his best games on the left saturday but that was one mistake but he made up for it with the goal and 3 decent crosses into the box that someone should have been on the end off

Think we're getting a bit carried away here. Lad played into space crosses ball which another lad making a good run scores. Goals happen, I put that one down to decent play.

Bigger fish to fry with the other goals if you are going down this avenue.

Think we're getting a bit carried away here. Lad played into space crosses ball which another lad making a good run scores. Goals happen, I put that one down to decent play.

Bigger fish to fry with the other goals if you are going down this avenue.

I agree - I was pointing out where lomax was.

Never lets us down. Why the big emergency for a new left back?

Simple. Another manager besides Shez will just see how talented he is. We'll be fighting off a few clubs from the Championship (which reminds me, I saw 2 scouts on Saturday). Last season he grew as a player so much, and what he brings to our side, such as his energy to bomb up and down the flank, his support when over-lapping, his excellent tackling, his pace, and his composure is so under-rated I think.

Simple. Another manager besides Shez will just see how talented he is. We'll be fighting off a few clubs from the Championship (which reminds me, I saw 2 scouts on Saturday). Last season he grew as a player so much, and what he brings to our side, such as his energy to bomb up and down the flank, his support when over-lapping, his excellent tackling, his pace, and his composure is so under-rated I think.

Almost agree with that; Lomax is really undervalued IMO.

Shez got it wrong for me when he said "Kelvin worries me defencively" - i don't see it. He's strong & committed in the tackle, good in the air for his size (which is of average height for a full-back), bombs on well from deep & is assured in possension of the ball.

He played really well vs Everton against a better standard of opposition, and i think he shows as much potential as the likes of Eardley/Taylor/Deano/Lewis etc.

Well played Kelvin, i'm not bothered if we don't get a new LB in; you'll do for me!

I wasn't at all convinced by Lomax last season, and was getting a bit bored of the usual blinkered, "he's one of our own, Latics youth product, therefore he can do no wrong" stuff on here (interesting how that doesn't seem to work with Smalley, but that's another subject...).

But give him his due, he played very well on Saturday, no crucial mistakes, not caught out of position too much, added a dimension going forward, and a sublime one-touch pass in the build up to our third. (I wouldn't go quite so far as to say he was our best defender - that was Gregan whatever his knockers claim.)

If I was certain that Kelvin could reproduce that form every game, and if I wasn't worried about a lack of cover, I'd stop looking for a left back.

Edited by garcon

I've never been one of the "cos he's one of ours" club, but Lomax has never done anything wrong and I would rather see him at Right back than eardley.

Latics fans do have a go at some though and not others. Take hughes for example, he cant do any wrong. The chance he had (I think it was 3-2 at the time) on saturday. If that was davies he would have been shot down in flames. Thats not having a go at hughes though. I'm just pointing out what fans are like.

Almost agree with that; Lomax is really undervalued IMO.

Shez got it wrong for me when he said "Kelvin worries me defencively" - i don't see it. He's strong & committed in the tackle, good in the air for his size (which is of average height for a full-back), bombs on well from deep & is assured in possension of the ball.

He played really well vs Everton against a better standard of opposition, and i think he shows as much potential as the likes of Eardley/Taylor/Deano/Lewis etc.

Well played Kelvin, i'm not bothered if we don't get a new LB in; you'll do for me!

Shez did then go on to pick him - and it was Shez who brought him back from the cold. I thought those comments were probably just giving him a bit of a nudge that he needed to up his game to it's maximum. Full back is still our weakest squad area IMO, Lee is the only one I wouldn't be disappointed to fill in on the left and Rueben on the right.

From what I could see we had no problems at all on the right side. Eardley is a country mile better than Lomax. He contributes going forward, has a very good shot on him and can deliver a good cross every now and again. Lomax just does a job, nothing more!

From what I could see we had no problems at all on the right side. Eardley is a country mile better than Lomax. He contributes going forward, has a very good shot on him and can deliver a good cross every now and again. Lomax just does a job, nothing more!

Nah, that's not right. Lomax does more than a job....Macca's everton goal wouldn't have happened without Lomax pushing on from LB and joining the midfield; playing a clever 1-2 give & go and the rest we all know!!!!

In this LB debate, i think we all need to consider Black too, as if Lomax id found wanting (which i doubt will happen as he's v solid!) then young Black can always come in. He played a very promising 45mins vs Ashton and impressed me. He looks like the next one to break into the 1st X1 from the yoofs.

A left hand side of the possibles of Lomax/Lee/Black (& Stam at a push) isn't bad at all for a promotion pushing League 1 side IMO....many sides would look in envy at that considering thier own relative squad depths!!

Lomax's ability to pick out an attacking pass is his best attribute. I wouldn't have a problem with him as first choice left back.

He's a solid defender and almost always stops the cross. The first goal on Saturday was due to poor shape because of Taylor chasing the ball - can't hold it against him, it was the first 10 seconds of the new season and he wanted to get into things as quickly as possible - he went on to more than make up for it but it'd be nice if he was more aware positionally.