Danny Whitaker...

Right... I loved wellens as much as the next person, name on the back of the shirt and all the rest...

BUT.. this guy showed tonight that he can step into this shoes and much much more.... pulled all the strings in midfield, always looked in space, and along side allott looked the balanced midfield we have been crying out for

This guy is class... absolutely fantastic... like allott and ruuuubes before him showed he is a brilliant player signed from a dodgy team...

WE DICKED ON LEEDS! AGAIN!

Right... I loved wellens as much as the next person, name on the back of the shirt and all the rest...

BUT.. this guy showed tonight that he can step into this shoes and much much more.... pulled all the strings in midfield, always looked in space, and along side allott looked the balanced midfield we have been crying out for

This guy is class... absolutely fantastic... like allott and ruuuubes before him showed he is a brilliant player signed from a dodgy team...

WE DICKED ON LEEDS! AGAIN!

When we signed Danny i thought he was just the type of player we were looking for, somebody who could play off the shoulders off the strikers, but who could also do the wellens and drop deep, pull the strings and pick the passes, then when we signed maher i didnt think danny would get a sniff!

Looks to me like maher's the one who's going to be warming the bench quite a bit this season

Keep it up Danny lad

When we signed Danny i thought he was just the type of player we were looking for, somebody who could play off the shoulders off the strikers, but who could also do the wellens and drop deep, pull the strings and pick the passes, then when we signed maher i didnt think danny would get a sniff!

Looks to me like maher's the one who's going to be warming the bench quite a bit this season

Keep it up Danny lad

Dont be surprised if Allott and Maher swap about, where does that leave Stephens and Lee? I do think we signed one too many central midfielders, but rather have them than not!

Dont be surprised if Allott and Maher swap about, where does that leave Stephens and Lee? I do think we signed one too many central midfielders, but rather have them than not!

I reckon Lee is going in as left back. Stephens was said to be backup when he joined. I don't think that has changed. I'm not sure Maher will be happy with the way things are progressing - but then agian I don't know the guy.

I reckon Lee is going in as left back. Stephens was said to be backup when he joined. I don't think that has changed. I'm not sure Maher will be happy with the way things are progressing - but then agian I don't know the guy.

the lads doing great and warrants his place.....if maher is unhappy its his own fault for not seizing the oppertunity...its good to have a few players narked a bit,means they will try extra hard when a chance comes along.

Probably comparing him to the wrong player though, as he is replacing McDonald.

I wait to see his consistancy before jumping on the 'he is great' bandwagon.

He did have a very good game today though.

Indeed. Wellens and Whitaker are different players.

Now, he has already proved he's not a lazy-arsed sod like Wellens was (I never overly rated him), so he's already won more respect from me than I ever had for Richie. I do also think he's gonna have a very good season, as he reminds me of Allott, and any player who puts in 100% at this level tends to be rewarded.

I do want to see him more though. Today we saw him in 2 roles. During the first 30 minutes he was very much like Allott in the fact he didn't make many forward runs - something I think would have seen us create more chances in the first half (not picking here). Then during the 2nd half when we were running riot, he was on the edge of the box a lot more (the only similarity with Wellens really, and the only ever thing I liked about Richie), where it's no surprise we benefited, as we won so many more second balls. One thing we missed all last year - well apart from when Jarrett was around - was a man on the edge of the box.

I hope he plays in an advanced role next week, but he shows that when we need to play it safe for the opening exchanges ofpotentially tough matches he can do this effectively. There's no way many players will run through Allott and Whitaker without being hit with a powerful but fair challenge.

the lads doing great and warrants his place.....if maher is unhappy its his own fault for not seizing the oppertunity...its good to have a few players narked a bit,means they will try extra hard when a chance comes along.

I originally read that as naked and wondered wtf you was on about

If we have uneartherd a guy who genuinely knows how to slide the diagonal ball in to the strikers, ghost it late in to the area Scholes style or just do more than pass it sideways, we are indeed very lucky.

I thought our midfield, despite usually having four decent players in it, was our nemesis last season, with its distinct failure to regularly deliver the above.

Most on here gave Allott 'player of the season' for his attitude. Put the blue shirt on my back and you'd get the attitude out of me too. I have no problem with Allott at all, but he was part of a faltering midfield operation.

This season we may just have made a single change that buys us the balance needed. Very early days, but I can see us being genuine contenders.

If we have uneartherd a guy who genuinely knows how to slide the diagonal ball in to the strikers, ghost it late in to the area Scholes style or just do more than pass it sideways, we are indeed very lucky.

I thought our midfield, despite usually having four decent players in it, was our nemesis last season, with its distinct failure to regularly deliver the above.

Most on here gave Allott 'player of the season' for his attitude. Put the blue shirt on my back and you'd get the attitude out of me too. I have no problem with Allott at all, but he was part of a faltering midfield operation.

This season we may just have made a single change that buys us the balance needed. Very early days, but I can see us being genuine contenders.

Its not just about attitude at all!

Allott was consistently our best player, breaks up alot of attacks rarely gives the ball away (ok majority of passes are simple side balls) gets stuck in and always challenges well in the air. Difference being in the midfield is thus far whitaker has been a much more potent threat than mcdonald as a partner for allott allowing rat boy to sit and concentrate on things he is most effective at.

I just watched all the goals ... Danny is the first to celebrate with whoever scores .... Latics blood ??? I really like him. Cant wait for him to score

I also noticed nearly all the players celebrate with the goal scorer - shows a great team spirit when that happens. Great to see it for a team with quite a few new players.

I also noticed nearly all the players celebrate with the goal scorer - shows a great team spirit when that happens. Great to see it for a team with quite a few new players.

As a life-long fan, Lidds showed respect for dirty Leeds by not going overboard with his part of the celebration.

As a life-long fan, Lidds showed respect for dirty Leeds by not going overboard with his part of the celebration.

That makes him a "Judas traitor" then... "Yer #*@$%! Liddell. Get off and Eff off to Leeds you waste of space. blah blah blah" :grin:

It keeps him sweet with dirty Leeds so he can get a ticket for the Play-off Final, like last season.

Hmmm, interesting... Let's imagine it's May 2nd 2009 at Walsall away (last match of the season) and we get a penalty in injury time. Lidds steps up to take it. Dirty Leeds have already finished playing and if Lidds scores we finish above Leeds and condemn them either (i) to the play-offs or (ii) to 7th place and ANOTHER season in the 3rd tier of English football (whichever takes your fancy).

What would Lidds do? :shock:

Edited by martjs

Hmmm, interesting... Let's imagine it's May 2nd 2009 at Walsall away (last match of the season) and we get a penalty in injury time. Lidds steps up to take it. Dirty Leeds have already finished playing and if Lidds scores we finish above Leeds and condemn them either (i) to the play-offs or (ii) to 7th place and ANOTHER season in the 3rd tier of English football (whichever takes your fancy).

What would Lidds do? :shock:

Score in the knowledge that they will go up one day, and so he can have the last laugh over spainboy. :grin: