Interest in the Town

I always think of Latics being an ok supported club. My grandparents support them, my sister, he daughter, my wife and quite a lot of my mates. How many of them actually attend the games? Close to bugger all. My wife goes now and then and my sister/daughter/husband go if theres a freebie but apart from that its pretty dire.

I think thats a problem in the town to be honest. People just can't be rsssed. The interest is there but I reckon only promotion will get some serious bums on seats. A 14 year hangover hasn't helped. People get out of the habit, get a different hobby. Meanwhile results are poor and the ground is starting to creak.

Even if we stay top of the league only a brave man would predict the average home support would exceed 6,000 when we are hosting the likes of (and no disrespect) - Chelts, Col U, Scunny etc etc. Sure they'll come out of the woodwork for the higher profile matches but I think we are where are at least until something special happens.

BUT, given a fair wind I believe this club now has the opportunity of getting itself back on its feet and dare I say we'll rarely have a better chance.

The faithful 5000 will be there against Cheltenham no doubt but I hope that the armchair fans quickly realise that the buzz of BP is better than Jeff Stellings jokes and that real life football following your own town team is the only way to fly.

KTF

I think the problem has been a lack of atmosphere when the likes of Chelts, Col U, Scunny come to town. Obviously they're not going to bring very many fans so thats one downer on the atmosphere, another thing is the constant agro Stewards give us (we've been through this last week).

My problem is that we cater too much towards the families and there isnt much incentive towards young adults like myself. I mean I used to be able to bring mates along to the match every other week, but now they're put off by the ticket prices, the lack of atmosphere and too many rules on what you should and shouldnt do and in my book too many rules and regulations are bad for morale, so my mates would rather spend money going to giggs and clubbing. In Germany they get the best crowds over anywhere else in the world, and lets be honest with exception to Bayern and maybe Schalke the players on the pitch arent what you'd call "World Class". But the clubs over there cater for a wide base of supporters and the atmosphere sounds fantastic, even for the minnow clubs. Eintract Frankfurt had some sort of feather thingys they threw up in the air before kick off and it looked fantastic, now that wouldnt happen at Latics because A - some no doubt stupid Health and Safety rule would get in the way and B - a lack of enthusiasm from our own fans

But what I would say is, if we can manage to make the Rochdale Road End our singing end, along with a promtion push then maybe things might change

Edited by Tommy_Fent

I always think of Latics being an ok supported club. My grandparents support them, my sister, he daughter, my wife and quite a lot of my mates. How many of them actually attend the games? Close to bugger all. My wife goes now and then and my sister/daughter/husband go if theres a freebie but apart from that its pretty dire.

Are they the same person?

Your not from Burnley are you?

Where i work in Oldham we are split into three shirts. On the morning shift there is 4 Tics none of them go to games most are ready to retire and Draw there pension.

One the afternoon shift eight Oldham fans 2 attend all home games but do not have a season ticket as we miss mid week games. 1 goes when he can be bothered but moans if he his not able to get a ticket for a big game other one goes most Saturdays.

Rest do not bother mixed ages. On the night :censored: about 12 Latics fans only four bother going to games.

Most blame cost and last of success.

I also encounter this problem, alot of people i know say they support Oldham yet will never or very rarely go to games. £20 and £11 is far too much to pay, i feel that other clubs attract more fans because the saturday afternoon at the football is more part of the culture than it appears to be here. Personally if i was sitting around doing nothing at 3pm on a saturday i would be wondering what to do with myself as i guess would most on this site.

It's all about success really, during the 'pinch me' years we went from 5000 to 15000 for home games in a matter of months, and it was all based around the team winning high profile games that often got on TV. It's difficult to see how we can become media darlings in this way again, although we did have a chance last season only for that total disaster against Huddersfield!!!! Maybe that was a turning point we missed.

Think the best way is to go around Oldham around 13:30 on a Saturdaty afternoon with "Operation impressment".

"Round em up" I say :grin:

Can picture Chaddy the Owl in Spindles at 1.30pm offering freedom to husbands and sons who are bored witless with an afternoon's shopping. Free kids ticket and bus trip to Boundary Park - leave Mum with the car keys and she can carry all the shopping bags back to the 6th floor car park (she'd buy less that way too, so you'd easily save the £20 entrance money).

Works for me!

Can picture Chaddy the Owl in Spindles at 1.30pm offering freedom to husbands and sons who are bored witless with an afternoon's shopping. Free kids ticket and bus trip to Boundary Park - leave Mum with the car keys and she can carry all the shopping bags back to the 6th floor car park (she'd buy less that way too, so you'd easily save the £20 entrance money).

Works for me!

I think if you also laid on a free bus or taxi to take them home, a few might consider it. :wink:

Think the best way is to go around Oldham around 13:30 on a Saturdaty afternoon with "Operation impressment".

"Round rm up" I say :grin:

The Latics pied piper, "forget the shopping, follow me to footballing paradise", seriously though, a one off package £20 giving you, admission, to rocky rd, pie, pint & a prog, & a voucher with £2/3 off nxt gam at hom. hook thm & reel thm in.............................

Even if we stay top of the league only a brave man would predict the average home support would exceed 6,000

If we stay top or atleats get in the play offs our avarage gate will b over 6,000. Yes we will struggle to pull 6,000 in on a rainy mid season game against Colchester et al.

Lets hope we get promoted as it does look like we have a good chance to get the town involved.

I think if you also laid on a free bus or taxi to take them home, a few might consider it. :wink:

I think having two tv matches on Sat gives many there football fix. Go to the pub and spend £20 on booze and see 2 games or go to Latics, get rained on and freeze to death and see crap football (peoples perception not necessarily fact.

Also it's not necessarily the cost of the tickets, its the cost of them in relation to other activities - the "economic cost". If other activites are cheaper or it is percieved that they derive more value, then it is likely that prospective customers go elsewhere. For instance, the clubs past argument that it costs the same as a night in the pub is true, but a night in the pub is also likely to be more value, especially if the wife/girlfriend is with you? On the other hand you can go and see gigs from £8 so it shows what the club are competing with.

Number one priority should be creating an atmosphere and we showed that against millwall it can be created. The club need to look at ways they can harness that atmosphere and turn it into bums on seats.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

It's all about success really, during the 'pinch me' years we went from 5000 to 15000 for home games in a matter of months, and it was all based around the team winning high profile games that often got on TV. It's difficult to see how we can become media darlings in this way again, although we did have a chance last season only for that total disaster against Huddersfield!!!! Maybe that was a turning point we missed.

This isn't something new. It's always been like this, at least for the 30 years that I can remember. Big Joe used to get frustrated at the fact that we were playing good football, got in the play-offs in 1987, but still crowds were low. One game at home to 'Boro had uder 4,000. People said the same things - cost, will support if successful etc. It's a fact of supporting Oldham. We've always been surrounded by:

a) apathy

b)low wage economy

c)One of the biggest clubs in the world (and :censored:y).

A town of this size should, like Huddersfield or Burnley, get crowds of 9,000 whatever the situation, but w never have. When we were successful the crowds went up to 15,000. For goodness sake, the football and level of success deserved a weekly sell-out. In the last season in the Prem we were dipping below 10,000. That's how fickle they are. To be honest, I found the 'new' supporters a complete pain. They expected 5-0 and brilliant every week and if they didn't get they were quick to moan and became cynical and sarcastic.

Catch 22.

seriously though, a one off package £20 giving you, admission, to rocky rd, pie, pint & a prog, & a voucher with £2/3 off next game at home. hook them & reel them in.............................

I dont think they can do that, it would be seen as giving discounts, your normal punters/away fans paying £20 on the day would not get the same fringe benefits.

Good idea though.

I dont think they can do that, it would be seen as giving discounts, your normal punters/away fans paying £20 on the day would not get the same fringe benefits.

Good idea though.

True, it's a fine line for the club but:

1) Don't care about away fans.

2) There are other ways to reward 'normal' punters - just occasionally! A free pie voucher for all on the day would cause one hell of a queue though.

True, it's a fine line for the club but:

1) Don't care about away fans.

2) There are other ways to reward 'normal' punters - just occasionally! A free pie voucher for all on the day would cause one hell of a queue though.

There would be uproar,they sold out of pies at five past three last week!

This isn't something new. It's always been like this, at least for the 30 years that I can remember. Big Joe used to get frustrated at the fact that we were playing good football, got in the play-offs in 1987, but still crowds were low. One game at home to 'Boro had uder 4,000. People said the same things - cost, will support if successful etc. It's a fact of supporting Oldham. We've always been surrounded by:

a) apathy

b)low wage economy

c)One of the biggest clubs in the world (and :censored:y).

A town of this size should, like Huddersfield or Burnley, get crowds of 9,000 whatever the situation, but w never have.

I was thinking the same thing about the 86-87 season. We were in the top 3 all season and ended up in the first ever play-offs. We didn't get good crowds until the Pinch Me season with the success in the cups and the cameras at the ground ever other week - perhaps "stay-away" fans just want to get their face on telly?!?

I know it's going over old ground but I believe cost also has a lot to do with it. The cost shot up as soon as grounds became all-seater. I know people who would go if it were cheaper. Maybe that's not true for all the glory hunters but it's true for a lot of people with many other things to spend that money on.

I was thinking the same thing about the 86-87 season. We were in the top 3 all season and ended up in the first ever play-offs. We didn't get good crowds until the Pinch Me season with the success in the cups and the cameras at the ground ever other week - perhaps "stay-away" fans just want to get their face on telly?!?

I know it's going over old ground but I believe cost also has a lot to do with it. The cost shot up as soon as grounds became all-seater. I know people who would go if it were cheaper. Maybe that's not true for all the glory hunters but it's true for a lot of people with many other things to spend that money on.

cost and success are the deciding factors for a lot of people....i cant afford to go anymore,so my son doesnt go as well.....

but i reckon i know at least 50 or 60 latics fans that would go if it was cheaper,£20 for third division football is what you hear a lot of....

but it is true all those years ago....the team could go 7 or 8 games unbeaten,then draw a midweek game and bang,3000 wouldnt turn up for the next game....then the week after it was cup fever and queued from clayton arms to where b and q is now for pay on the night!!! it was mad and exciting times and the football was outstanding most of the time with a group of players with a never say die attitude,who gave 110% all the time....

times change and we had this debate over and over again,with various polls or questions of how to improve atmosphere or attendance.....then the season starts and it all goes quiet again.......get promoted this season,sign paul scholes for the new season in the championship and we will have a full house.

I know a fella that had a season ticket for 20 years that didn't renew because of the smoking ban at BP - this was before the official ban, this i know has put alot of people off, combined with 20 quid to get it just doesn't feel like going to the footy for alot of people, They need to offer designated smoking areas outside behind the stands - every time you have a tab you run the risk of being ejected which is a joke - not the main reason for poor attendances i know...but a factor

Edited by longtimeblue

I know a fella that had a season ticket for 20 years that didn't renew because of the smoking ban at BP - this was before the official ban, this i know has put alot of people off, combined with 20 quid to get it just doesn't feel like going to the footy for alot of people, They need to offer designated smoking areas outside behind the stands - every time you have a tab you run the risk of being ejected which is a joke - not the main reason for poor attendances i know...but a factor

I know one or two who jacked it in due to the smoking ban....sad really.