x latics player dies

Former Latics stalwart Ken Branagan has died after a long battle with Alzheimers Disease. Branagan was 78 and he passed away on the night of Saturday the 9th. August 2008. Born in Salford in 1930, he joined Athletic as a 30-year-old in a double deal with Bert Lister from Manchester City in 1960 for a fee of £10,000. The full-back went on to make 195 appearances for Athletic and scored five goals in his six-year stay at Boundary Park
rest in peace

A really good player and clubman. Overlooked at times in the era of Johnstone and Lister but brought defensive stability to the team and an important part of the early 60s success. I remember him breaking the net with a penalty against Peterboro in 1961, Div 4 and around 28000 at Boundary Park.

i rember KB well..one of the hardest players to wear the shirt..looked the part too. Captain in early sixties before Alan Williams, Did he score a hattrick at Southport away one Christmas ?

Maybe I am wrong. Remember the Posh game well. Bly scored about 50 goals that season..they finished a mile clear with about 130 GOALS. 28000 I was a season ticket holder and still turned up at 12:30 to pick my seat. Great days folks..div 4 and 28000 ............dream .......it was about 3 bob in at the gate...Top league players on £25 a week.....now we have knobheads on £150000..............