Crucial

GREAT, we beat famous leeds, people getting excited about the season thinking about promotion already.

however,

I see saturday as one of our most important games, Chletenham at home. If we cant win games like this, then you can kiss goodbye to our famous promotion season. So hopefully we can start winning these games for ones and look forward to a good season. Lets make BP a fortress.

Wenks Target: 15 home wins, Currently 1

Guest oa_exile
GREAT, we beat famous leeds, people getting excited about the season thinking about promotion already.

however,

I see saturday as one of our most important games, Chletenham at home. If we cant win games like this, then you can kiss goodbye to our famous promotion season. So hopefully we can start winning these games for ones and look forward to a good season. Lets make BP a fortress.

.......and there was me thinking the season was 46 games :blink:

Guest oa_exile
READ

I did , dont base the season on the odd banana skin as it will happen.I agree that Saturday should be on the lines of 3pts Cannon fodder BUT I have watched OAFC long enough to know we will shoot ourselves in the foot against teams like this.

Edited by oa_exile

I did , dont base the season on the odd banana skin as it will happen.I agree that Saturday should be on the lines of 3pts Cannon fodder BUT I have watched OAFC long enough to know we will shoot ourselves in the foot against teams like this.

like i say 15 home wins will be excellent. We got 10 last season. Carlisle got the best with 17

however,

correct, this is the type of fixture where we usually mess up and they are playing fairly well at the moment. it will be a good pointer, the result of this one. if we put them away well then i will begin to think we are going somewhere this season.

looking ahead, if/when we do get up are we gonna have a spate of threads along the lines of "we might have got promoted but next season's what matters. it's divisions like the Championship we need to get results in, never mind league 1".

FFS - times are good. enjoy it.

(PS - can I do the "this Colchester game's the most important............" thread after we've beat Cheltenham & Burnley??? :grin: )

looking ahead, if/when we do get up are we gonna have a spate of threads along the lines of "we might have got promoted but next season's what matters. it's divisions like the Championship we need to get results in, never mind league 1".

FFS - times are good. enjoy it.

(PS - can I do the "this Colchester game's the most important............" thread after we've beat Cheltenham & Burnley??? :grin: )

do what you want buddy, i wont mind :D

Some of you lot are being unfair... I know what the original poster was on about and he is bang on...

He never said a loss on saturday would cost us promotion, but losing these type of games will defo cost us promotion! Thats a fact. It easy to raise your game for the Leeds and the first game against Millwall. Cold wet windy BP on a Saturday against a team we should beat....over the last ten years these are the games that have cost us....

Saturdays game will tell me more about our chances of promotion than either the Leeds or Millwall game did....

Guest oa_exile
Saturdays game will tell me more about our chances of promotion than either the Leeds or Millwall game did....

.....dont base the season on the odd banana skin as it will happen.

Let's be honest the first 60+ mins of the Millwall opening game wasnt actually promotion form BUT the last 30' was :)

Some of you lot are being unfair... I know what the original poster was on about and he is bang on...

He never said a loss on saturday would cost us promotion, but losing these type of games will defo cost us promotion! Thats a fact. It easy to raise your game for the Leeds and the first game against Millwall. Cold wet windy BP on a Saturday against a team we should beat....over the last ten years these are the games that have cost us....

We know that we need to avoid hiccups against so-called lesser teams, but if we win on Saturday all it will tell us is that we've beaten Cheltenham at BP, just like we did on 26th April.

If we won every away game and lost every home game (except Millwall) or vice versa (except Leeds) that would average one and a half points per game, and not be enough for promotion. What we need is an average of two points per game, and if we are to lose at BP, it would be better to do so against the lower teams than our promotion rivals.

Consistency is the name of the game and getting that fortress BP mentality.

From the Advertiser:

Keeping it in perspective

Gavin Browne

21/ 8/2008

JOHN Sheridan has warned his Oldham Athletic players not to get carried away by their successful start to the season.

Having come from 3-1 down to beat Millwall and then played with 10 men for 90 minutes of the Carling Cup victory at Rochdale, Athletic completed a hat-trick of wins with a 2-0 triumph at Leeds United last weekend.

They now face Cheltenham Town at Boundary Park on Saturday with Sheridan demanding his players remain focused against a side who had been tipped to struggle this season.

He said: "It's one of those games where everyone's expecting us to win because of the start we've had and because it's Cheltenham.

"I'll never take them for granted though. Hopefully we'll perform and if we do the same as in the previous games, I think we'll get the right result.

"I've made it clear that getting off to a good start is important after the two seasons we've had. I think people are getting carried away because we've won two games, you can easily lose the next two or three."

That sentiment was echoed by Reuben Hazell who, along with back four colleagues Sean Gregan, Neal Eardley and Kelvin Lomax, recovered from a jittery collective performance against Millwall to nullify Leeds' attack.

Hazell and Gregan have formed an effective partnership at the heart of Latics' defence, a case of 'opposites attract' according to Hazell.

He said: "Me and Greegs complement each other. He's aggressive and likes to attack every ball and I sweep up around him.

"I enjoy playing with him and it's starting to become a decent partnership. We conceded three on the first day but I think that was a freak result and a freak game - I think we're back to where we were last season before he got injured.

"There's been three really funny and entertaining games in different ways this season but if we have a really boring 1-0 win against Cheltenham, it won't bother us one bit."

Cheltenham boss akso thinks this game will be a good indicator towards promotion prospects.

From the never read Gloucester Citizen:

Oldham clash will be benchmark – Downing

08:00 - 22-August-2008

Be the first reader to comment on this story.

KEITH DOWNING says tomorrow's trip to Oldham Athletic will provide a good early indicator of his Cheltenham Town side's progression.

They last travelled to Boundary Park on the penultimate weekend of last season.

A tired looking Robins team went down 2-1 to the Latics, setting up a nail-biting final day 'great escape' act against Doncaster Rovers.

An improvement in away form is one of Downing's primary objectives for this term.

Oldham have started the new campaign strongly and Downing believes they can act as a yardstick for the Robins.

Oldham are strong at home and they have some good players, particularly in the front four, but we will go there with renewed confidence and believe we can get something," Downing said.

"I have tried to strengthen the squad with knowledgeable players at this level and if we play something like we did at Southend (1-0 Carling Cup win), we are capable of coming away with a positive result.

"There's a very fine dividing line in this division when you look at what clubs like Walsall and Northampton did last season with budget constraints.

"It's a tough league but one we can do well in and Oldham will provide a stern test."

Downing will make a late decision on midfielders David Bird (ankle) and Craig Armstrong (calf), but both players are rated as doubtful.

Dean Sinclair is poised to start the match after arriving for his second loan spell from Charlton Athletic.

Downing once again hinted that former Swindon Town defender Andy Nicholas, 24, will be offered a contract after a spell on trial.

"A decision will be made in the next day or two when I have spoken to the chairman, but Andy has impressed me," he said. Nicholas started out as a trainee with Liverpool before making 105 league starts for Swindon.