Travelling to Colchester?

If you've been to Brighton, you'll know what a nightmare the Travel Plan arrangements can be. It's the same at Colchester's new stadium.

Very limited parking costs £10 at the stadium. 'The Dog and Pheasant on Nayland Road, is probably the closest pub to the stadium, although it is still around three quarters of a mile away. The pub is part of the "Hungry Horse" chain. There is a parking exclusion zone covering residential areas. The advice is either payapprox £4.40 to park in the town centre (and then, on production of a match ticket purchased in advance, pay £1 on a No. 65 bus from Head Street to the railway station) or pay £5.50 to park at the railway station. Then catch the FREE shuttle bus from the station to the stadium - Note it is FREE if you can produce a match ticket bought in advance. Obviously this is also applicable if travelling by train.

I've checked with the BP ticket office - they haven't received any tickets from Colchester yet, but in view of the importance of getting a ticket for the free shuttle bus, they will chase Colchester.

Here is what you need to familiarise yourself with before travelling:

http://www.cu-fc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Matc...1364037,00.html

Parking restrictions near the ground

The areas around the ground are covered by a Clearway “No Stopping” restriction. Parking enforcement will be carried out, so you are advised to check signage and lines carefully. Note that the Clearway restriction is not marked by yellow lines – but is zoned within signs marked with a red cross on a blue background. Clearway means that you cannot stop to load or unload passengers, wait or park, and the restriction applies to the disabled drivers “blue badge”.

The following roads have a Clearway “No Stopping” restriction, which also extends to roadside verges and footways:

Northern Approach Road;

Boxted Road;

Langham Road;

Severalls Lane;

Axial Way; and

United Way.

Most other areas have either resident only parking restrictions or yellow lines.

Please respect the resident areas near the ground.

Owners of any vehicles contravening the parking restrictions could be liable for a Penalty Charge Notice (£70).

original_Parking_fine.jpg
Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Guest M_OAFC

If this free bus from the station is going to drop us off 3 quaters of a mile from the nearest pub then I suggest we congregate in a pub near the station pre-match and get this bus at about 2.30pm if possible.

What do others think?

If this free bus from the station is going to drop us off 3 quaters of a mile from the nearest pub then I suggest we congregate in a pub near the station pre-match and get this bus at about 2.30pm if possible.

What do others think?

I think thats what we are planning to do

What do others think?

The Bricklayer's Arms, suggested by JoeP on the Colchester Express thread sounds ideal.

11588_324bc1ee9b241174708ee7bb6506d5a2.jpg

Who says they haven't got a sense of humour in North East Esssex?

The Bricklayer's Arms, suggested by JoeP on the Colchester Express thread sounds ideal.

Why are all these new grounds a nightmare to get too.

They all appear to be designed with supporters last on the list of thoughts ??

Parking is virtually non extistant and public transport is limited.

How do they expect people to get there.

Why are all these new grounds a nightmare to get too.

They all appear to be designed with supporters last on the list of thoughts ??

Parking is virtually non extistant and public transport is limited.

How do they expect people to get there.

Shoppers, cinema-goers, theatre-goers or opera-goers would not be treated like this. We even have our own Act of Parliament - no other group of citizens can claim that - we really are classed as the lowest of the low! :angry:

Shoppers, cinema-goers, theatre-goers or opera-goers would not be treated like this. We even have our own Act of Parliament - no other group of citizens can claim that - we really are classed as the lowest of the low! :angry:

Yes, indeed. Free travel on the buses! I feel like a pensioner.

I can't think the club can do much more. It took them years to manage to get a stadium through planning permission, and one of the pre-requisites was that there wouldn't be too much transport. How easy can it be for us? Train - Pub - Bus - Match - Bus - Pub - Train. Hardly any walking, nowt to do myself.

Southerners in the know: Which of your Southern trains can you have railbeers on?

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Guest M_OAFC

Bricklayer's it is then. See you all there.

Ludicrous scenario if you ask me. Brand new ground seemingly in the middle of nowhere (so not a land/space issue) and they wouldn't/couldn't put a car park next to the ground.

Just another reason why I'm so glad we have Boundary Park and all of its envoirons. Lots of parking, lots of pubs within walking distance and great access.

Ludicrous scenario if you ask me. Brand new ground seemingly in the middle of nowhere (so not a land/space issue) and they wouldn't/couldn't put a car park next to the ground.

Just another reason why I'm so glad we have Boundary Park and all of its envoirons. Lots of parking, lots of pubs within walking distance and great access.

Look at the proposals for Evertons new ground - next to a Tesco store.

Can you imagine the choas on match days there .

These planners are absolute w*nkers.

Unfortuuantely it is a great british disease - Planners give absolute no consideration to those who attend the events.

Nearly every sporting event in this country is a disaster in terms of accessability.

Know what you're getting at but, for the avoidance of doubt, there is a 700 space car park, but only limited non-reserved spaces available on the day at £10.

Yes, indeed. Free travel on the buses! I feel like a pensioner.

I can't think the club can do much more. It took them years to manage to get a stadium through planning permission, and one of the pre-requisites was that there wouldn't be too much transport. How easy can it be for us? Train - Pub - Bus - Match - Bus - Pub - Train. Hardly any walking, nowt to do myself.

Southerners in the know: Which of your Southern trains can you have railbeers on?

Couldn't say if the trains out of London have a trollie or not. Usually cheaper to buy before we go, but I'll ask my house mate who is a Colchester fan... but never a problem drinking on them.

At Straford the train I catch to Colchester using the same platform as the tube .... therefore is it 'London' legal to drink whilst waiting for the train, not that it'll stop LL.

Look at the proposals for Evertons new ground - next to a Tesco store.

Can you imagine the choas on match days there .

These planners are absolute w*nkers.

Unfortuuantely it is a great british disease - Planners give absolute no consideration to those who attend the events.

Nearly every sporting event in this country is a disaster in terms of accessability.

They shut the Selhurst Park Sainsburys before the matches, maybe it's that sort of a deal? It's not exactly ideal to have a supermarket shutting every other SAturday mind.

For those who are organised enough, you can ride the free bus from the train station without a ticket according to Col U.

I'm preparing to be laughed at a lot by Mark tomorrow now for championing the free bus!!

why wait til tomorrow :laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16:

Just printed off all the travel information.

Its a right pain to put it mildly, sure similar park and ride schemes are in place at clubs like Swansea but the point of the buses is theres plenty of parking space from where they embark, not park in town centre, then get to NEAR the train station to catch a bus. Thats a park and ride and ride scheme. Rubbish