England

You'd think so wouldn't you but strangely when they are due to play everyone seems to be overcome with a wave of optimism that this time we can do it we can finally prove to everyone how good we really are.

Truth is that is exactly what we are doing.

For me we have produced 2 outstanding displays in the last 12 years, those being our 4-1 defeat of Holland in Euro 96 and the 5-1 win in Germany a few years ago.

The rest has been mainly very poor performances and very poor results.

But looking back on it how good were those two performances, Holland's team in 96 (especially their defence) was old and it was much the same team that won the euros in 88. With Germany it was a similar story to Holland - a team full of older players who had lost their pace- that was in 2001 but how many of that German team are playing now and compare that with England. We do well against slow old opposition no matter which country they are playing for. When you look at the good teams around now most of them have one or two people with over 60 caps but the rest have 25-45 (so have been around for 2-3 seasons) and the odd player with a few caps (so just pushing through).

Gerrard and Lampard are good players for their club but neither has really performed for their country in ages (so they are NOT world class). With slightly tougher qualification this time round (you have to finish top to be certain of qualifying) I can see England not qualifying. I'd be tempted to drop almost all of them, I think bar Rooney who is a world class player but with a sunday league temperament. After all our next game is Andorra and I'd fancy Oldham to beat them so some of the also rans in the England squad (the likes of Ashley Young, Micah Richards, David Bentley, Jonathon Woodgate etc.) should have no trouble. I think this may give the likes of Ferdinand, JT, Lamps, and Gerrard a well needed kick up the arse. (Although Lampard and Gerrard should only ever play together when we are looking for goals). The attitude of the squad I think would get a boost from this as well as it strikes me as being a bit we were here first so you can't play.

With slightly tougher qualification this time round (you have to finish top to be certain of qualifying) I can see England not qualifying.

....some of the also rans in the England squad (the likes of Ashley Young, Micah Richards, David Bentley.......)

Agree that we will not qualify. Croatia's players are technically better than ours and they have more pride and desire to do well for the shirt.

The "also rans" are the future on which we need to build.

I have an idea: let's trust the recruitment of the new team management to the guy who :censored:ed it up last time and who is about to leave.

First "Barwick" goes after Big Phil, who's got some pedigree in the international game, but because "Barwick" acts as though it's a done deal, Big Phil won't have anything to do with it. We end up with "McLaren", who ish now Dutch, and who was clearly out of hish depth. Then "Barwick" presides over the expensive recruitment of Capello, and promptly resigns.

Criminal mismanagement at the top, and lo and behold we're crap on the pitch. Whoda thunk it?

If you paying with your credit card you should have the full weight of your credit cards legal team on your side ?? Contact them and thell them they keep taking money they have no right to!!!

If you are paying via continuous authority on your credit card, the card company will tell you that it's a matter between you and Setanta and won't get involved. It's a nightmare! They will even continue to charge you after you close your credit card, you're still liable and the card company will do NOTHING to stop it.

If you are paying via continuous authority on your credit card, the card company will tell you that it's a matter between you and Setanta and won't get involved. It's a nightmare! They will even continue to charge you after you close your credit card, you're still liable and the card company will do NOTHING to stop it.

yep, that's the nail on the head. It's a complete nightmare. I will never make the mistake of using my credit card for regular payments again. I will also never make the mistake of going anywhere near Setanta Sports again.

To anyone who is reading this and is thinking about getting Setanta.........just dont do it!

I agree with a couple of people on this thread that qualification for the 2010 World cup will be very difficult for England, having to win the group to qualify automatically and having Croatia again (who beat us home and away in Euro 2008 qualification) makes it far from certain that we win the group.

Also a couple of people stating that David James is the current number 1 England keeper, while I agree that he probably is.

I think it says more about the dearth of decent English keepers that he is.

I think he is dire and isn't nicknamed Calamity James for nothing, his goalkeeping was summed up in one moment of madness the other night when he rushed out of his goal about 40 yards to play as the right full back leaving the goal totally unguarded, he got skinned by the Czech player who then showed a complete lack of composure or another stupid and unavoidable goal would have been conceeded, we really do need to find somebody somewhere better than this.

I am going to be signing up to that BT Vision thing shortly and you get Setanta free, would you not recommend it even it is free?

Well I suppose thats an add on to a BT package so you dont have to deal with the feckers at any point. Just make sure that you are purely with BT and have no contractual obligations to Setanta, if thats the case then happy days I suppose! Also if anything goes wrong with the service/picture I hope it's BT you have to call and not that shower - they just stick you on hold whilst earning money on your call before cutting you off after about 20 minutes.

Also a couple of people stating that David James is the current number 1 England keeper, while I agree that he probably is.

I think it says more about the dearth of decent English keepers that he is.

I think he is dire and isn't nicknamed Calamity James for nothing, his goalkeeping was summed up in one moment of madness the other night when he rushed out of his goal about 40 yards to play as the right full back leaving the goal totally unguarded, he got skinned by the Czech player who then showed a complete lack of composure or another stupid and unavoidable goal would have been conceeded, we really do need to find somebody somewhere better than this.

Carlo Cuducini - eligible through marriage.

Well I suppose thats an add on to a BT package so you dont have to deal with the feckers at any point. Just make sure that you are purely with BT and have no contractual obligations to Setanta, if thats the case then happy days I suppose! Also if anything goes wrong with the service/picture I hope it's BT you have to call and not that shower - they just stick you on hold whilst earning money on your call before cutting you off after about 20 minutes.

Don't get me started on being on hold for 20 minutes! :angry: We moved house at the end of July and I have spent the best part of the last month on hold with various companies being told my call was very important to them and that I was being monitored for training purposes. Don't think much of any of their training as the people I eventually get to speak to sound like it is their first day. I am not sure how the BT thing works, I guess I would have to deal with BT but they are another shower, I had to get OFCOM involved before they would connect our line at the new place as the old owners were with TalkTalk, they originally gave me a date of 2nd September to get the line fitted then I would have had to wait 5 working days for the line to "settle" before they could enable the broadband. I asked them how the line would know it was a working day and not a Saturday or Sunday but they couldn't really answer that. Finally got a call from "The Chairman's Office" and had the line fitted last week and got them to send me the HomeHub on Weds which I fitted myself despite the software they use throwing up all sorts of errors and not connecting to the hub.

I've been saying that about Cuducini for ages. He's been eligible for years and has said that he would. Maybe that'd be a step too far for many - an Italian manager and then we start having Italian players!

I'd have players from Mars if they were able to put a better shift in than the current lot of "International Footballers" that we are currently lumbered with!

Because he can still take a corner.

Anyway, My questions...

1. Why, after about 60 games of it not really working, do we have a supposedly ruthless manager still trying to play Gerrard and Lampard together?

Has to be Gerrard and A N Other for me NOT LAMPARD!

2. Why do we still have no shape to a team?

This is the most worrying aspect, Rooney is no better than he was as a 16 year old at Everton, his football brain is that of a 9 year old, aimlessly running into the wrong positions, in fact he's a ahigher level Craig Davies AND he's still sulking with the FA over his pre-season ban a couple of years ago.

3. Why do our full backs never overlap wingers to stretch defences? Cole is a little :censored: out and Wes bleedin' Brown? Even Graham Taylor wouldn't have picked him.

4. Why do we have a team that is man-for-man technically superior in quality to just about every country bar 2 or 3 yet is nearly always second to the ball to whoever we play? 'Cos they can't be arsed mate, too much effort they'd rather haver their feet up waiting for the next Premier Greed game. Tossers the lot of 'em!

5. Wes Brown? Why? Quite

6. Why, when playing for Chelsea does John Terry barge every tvvat out of his way to head the ball home, yet in the last minute of an England match does he mince about with a lame leg forward in a feeble attempt to force the ball home. The racist c*nt. Too much like hard work and wouldn't want to get injured would he? Shown up for what he is on the International stage, an over-rated cart-horse!

7. Why do we never look like winning? All down to desire and a lack of technical ability, as Shez says, taking care of the ball is everything (especially at International level) if yer can't find a frigger in the same shirt what chance do you have? Oh I know scrappy set-piece goals from a crosses by a pub-team player, past his best for the last 5 years!

8. Why when defending a free kick with THREE opposition players on one end of our wall, does the keeper not think that the ball could be heading into that side of the goal? Two words....................David James

9. Why, after vowing not to watch another England performance quite a few games ago, did I sit through the fúcking highlights on ITV? Cos we all do it! Turned it off and went upstairs after 75 mins as I don't have Sultana in the bedroom, even then though I couldn't resist 5live!

10. Why don't we actually try dropping our overpaid lazy :censored:ing excuse for players for some really hardworking, but less paid players who will actually get stuck into the opposition more even if it is a friendly. You know, what with them being more hungry to wear the shirt rather than being paranoid that they'll get injured or something? Won't happen, not as if they have central contracts like cricket is it? We need the bollocks to make major changes. Andorra is the ideal opportunity.

11. How can a player who couldn't buy a goal for Portsmouth, be allowed a whole quarter of the penalty area to turn his marker (who coincidentally, had he been playing for Chelsea would have absolutely nailed him) and rifle home a goal? Pretty jammy deflection though, I agree with the space allowed him though!

12. When exactly did it really all go wrong for England? Was it after the 1990 World Cup? Again two words.....................Graham Taylor!

Ok so who should play............

IMHO

Robinson - Dropped one bollock and was crucified for it. Found his form again at the backend of last season

Richards

King

Ferdinand

Hoyte (Very good player, taller and stronger in the tackle. Cole has been :censored:e for England for a while)

Bentley (Give this lad a decent run)

Gerrard

Barry

Joe Cole (Consistently England's best player over the last 2 or 3 years, didn't used to rate him but he's won we over recently)

Ashton (Please get him fit)

Owen (Still our best threat when fit!)

Rooney, sorry no thanks,

Lamps sorry for your loss and everything but imo you should have been allowed to disappear to Milan. 5 year deal UNBEELEEVABLE!

Cole no way!

Terry ..........give him 20 minutes with terry Butcher, discussing the England captaincy

James not done a lot wrong but getting on a bit now DESPITE him consistently being the best English keepr in the Prem.

Becks? Come on he's playing for the Dog and Duck. Fergie don't get rid unless you are on the way down.

Edited by oafcprozac