96.2 The Revolution

I'm not sure if we have any fans of The Revolution radio station on here but anyone who has listened today will have noticed that the music policy has totally changed and cheesy pop is now the order of the day. Yesterday, all of the presenters were laid off with no warning following the sale of the station, so no more Mani, Phil Beckett et al. They are all obviously very upset and emotions are running high but there is talk of them forming an internet based radio station. If anyone wants to offer words of support or thanks then add them here and I will make sure that all comments get back to Phil Beckett.

I thought it was odd when I was driving to Asda and they had Leona Lewis on followed by Nickleback, I just thought it was the dead hard quiz with no prizes. Absolutely gutted that it has ended this way.

Just told the wife and she is as gutted as I am, all our radios are either tuned to the rev or 5live. Phil Beckett's missus is on a midwifery course with one of Clare's friends which has nothing to do with anything.

If they can do anything to keep the spirit of the rev up I would listen.

Edited by beag_teeets

If they can do anything to keep the spirit of the rev up I would listen.

And hopefully that's exactly what will keep them going. I'm hoping to grab a word with Mike Joyce tonight because he's DJing at the club I'm off to and my mate knows him. If they know the support it out there, hopefully they'll do something. xfm isn't the station it was when it first got its license and as for the rest of local radio........

Just had a look through the facebook/myspace pages and it is so sad. Clare and I feel like we have just had some really bad news, well, we have. We have listened to the Rev for about the last 3 or so years, pretty much everyday, can't believe it has gone.

Dunno what the djs can do as times are hard for internet radio type things, Pandora is close to closing, I know it is different to what they would want to do but times are hard all across the board.

I probably shouldn't be typing this now because I'm very drunk. However, I managed to get my chat with Mike Joyce tonight and he is clearly still very upset over the way the takeover of The Revolution has happened. He pre-records his Sunday show, so had no idea when he recorded the show for last Sunday that it would be his last. He was made aware on Tuesday of this week that the station was being bought and was told that he could pre-record his show for this coming Sunday if he wanted but that all of the songs were being removed and he would have to play what he was told to play. His response was "I'll leave it then", which was far more diplomatic than I would have been. He also said that he does not consider himself to be a DJ, merely a bloke who plays songs he likes and therefore, could not stay with the new station.

He doesn't feel that there is any future for the old station because all local radio stations are struggling and said that they would "have to find other ways of spreading the word".

Let's hope that the new Revolution is a complete and utter failure and that those who have perpetrated this heinous act lose a great deal of money!

The Rev is/was the best station out there by miles. I am well gutted about what has happened. Dont know if ill be able to wake up in the morning if my alarm doesn't have Martin Coogan on.

If you want to listen to :censored:e, you listen to KEY 103/Galaxy....If you want some top tuneage its the rev.

Edited by dave_ragg1984

I am still gutted, it is only when something is taken away that you realise how much it meant to you. So many of the things we do had the rev on in the background, we have just woken up and I went to let the dog out, put the kettle on and flicked the radion on which was tuned to 96.2 to be met with :censored:e music, arses. Speaking of which I then had to go for a sit down in the smallest room and Clare had the radio on in the bedroom, "Elliot's on" she shouted "but hes playing :censored:e, Jordin Sparks I think"

Now it will become just another commercial radio station that pumps crap like jordin sparks and other mid atlantic manufactured music or basshunters eurocheese as the public wants what the public gets. Yet again Oldhamers fail to get behind one of the only good things about the town, there will be less than 6000 at BP today and if we happen not to win or fail to win our next game there will be less there at the next home game as hundreds more people say "see, I knew they were crap" and not get off their arses and support the only professional football team in the town.

If you look at the history of Oldham and surrounding areas it was the hotbed on which this so called great country was built:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldham

Has a history of political radicalism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royton#Textil...rial_Revolution

If you look at it now it is a dump full of nothing and no one cares about it. That report by some tory think tank this week was right when it comes to Oldham, regeneration has failed in Oldham, mostly as its people do not give a flying :censored: about it.

I know I am being over dramatic and all over some bloody radio station that half the time didn't play what I wanted to listen to but when it did, my god it was fantastic - I drove to the Milwall game, in the rain listening to an acoustic version of "Swamp Thing" by the Chameleons, where on earth would you hear that at about 1sh on a Saturday.

I am going in to Bury now as Clare and I are due an upgrade on our fones, I don't know how to get in to Bury town centre at the mo as every time I drive in the road has changed due to the building works, they are building a new shopping centre as Debenhams are opening a store and M&S are moving to a bigger store, (As Joe Royle once said, Oldham is the only place in the world to say No to M&S) the market is world famous and every week the surrounding roads are full of coaches of people who have made a special visit just to go to the market.

When I was growing up Oldham was a much more important place than Bury, it isn't today.

• 2 weeks later...

Details are emerging of the old Rev DJ's looking to start their own station after Steve Penk bought The Revolution.

Myspace - http://www.myspace.com/radiorepublicmanchester

Facebook - http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=...4296&ref=nf

I would recommend that people sign up and show their support for the new station.

Hopefully it might carry some Latics news as Broady used to do a bit for the Rev.