Corney's latest statement

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't you love the way so many on here contrive to make out he's having a pop at those of us who DO GO just for the opportunity to have a moan?

I don't think for one minute that Simon is having a pop at those that do go, but from day 1 TTA have looked at crowd potential through rose coloured spectacles. In their first interview on GMR they quoted average crowds of 6000,(did someone mislead them about Oldham). I went on to say they were closer to 5500 probably 5000 core support. Other factors working against them are:

Indigenous population declining at the rate of 5% every 10 years

Oldham council inability to bring quality jobs to Oldham, resulting in a low wage local economy

Lack of incentives for OAP's and those that reach the age of 16. I know 3 17 year olds, former home and awayers, who haven't been this season can't afford it. Life has moved on not many kids leave education and move into jobs at 16, move with the times Latics, once these kids lose the thread they are lost forever

Demolishing the Lookers, some haven't renewed season tickets, many who have moved to RRE are restless don't like the view from behind the goal, and too much hassle going on. If the view from behind the goal is as good as at the side of the pitch why don't we ever see a Directors box behind the goal( even when the team trot out from behind the goal E.g. Burnley)

No promotions or relegations in the last 10 years a relegation and promotion would have left us in a better position supporrt wise than the current inertia in League 1. The floating voters unfortunately ain't had any glory to hunt.

TTA wil have to sell, that is the reality of the situation, and I support them wholehartedly, but sending out the message that he has in the last week of the transfer deadline is naive, it tells clubs putting in bids this week, that they have a reasonably strong bargaining position.Any reasonable offer will be accepted.

Thanks for everything TTA and KEEP THE FAITH I know its hard

Ticket prices are a big issue. Encouraging youngsters to come is one way forward. More free tickets for families, especially during our current form. We may as well fill the seats and get a good atmosphere than have empty seats.

I agree in principle, but I've paid for a full season and have a problem with other non-concessions getting in for nowt!

totally agree with corney. less than 5000 for a town of our size is pretty poor. coupled with the fact that they've been badly hit by the loss of interest by developers wanting to take on the surplus BP land and the general loss of sponsership due to the economic squeeze, TTA have been badly hit - they don't have to lose their money every season you know?!

Just 1 point to mention is the fact that there is no sign of Corney's "rant" on the OS and when Simon goes off on one you tend to see it there first. It just seems to me a little odd this "statement coming out less than a week after he says that they have received bids for 3 players and that unless their valuation is met the player/s will be going nowhere AND EVEN IF THEIR VALUATION IS MET THEY MIGHT STILL NOT SELL THE PLAYER.

I have a feeling that this might just be a chron led story, because lets face it there wasn't much else to report after a "good" weekend and a fairly one sided game with nothing contentious happening. It just seems as if Yarwood has asked Corney after the match "what do you think of the crowd figure today." or "disappointing crowd today Simon." knowing full well it would provoke a response and give a nice back page headline on a quiet bank holiday Monday.

The comments over the 2 weeks are inconsistent even given the poor crowd on Saturday.

I agree, many of the suggestions from this board have been good and some worth trying, but the club marketing has been extremely poor IMO.

Now thats the problem ..... there as been nobody at the club to do marketing and I don't think they were happy with Bob watching Corneys comments on friday. On a plus the club have now recruited two people in this area and they are have seemingly impressed so far and SC asked fans to contact them with ideas for marketing / fund raising.

Sure someone here has their names?

You usually only have one chance a season to catch the drifting (usually United) fan. So pick a home game randomly and analyze his matchday experience at Boundary Park.

Arrive 2.15pm - Head to the RRE as this is the closest stand after walking down Sheepfoot lane. £20 in for 3rd rate football which is steep but he pay's it and goes in the stand. Gets a pint of Carlsberg (£3?) and gets a programme to read. Carlsberg tastes like p*ss but the programmes decent even if it is £3. Fancy's a bet on the game but can't see a bookies so decides to light a fag instead. Steward comes over and asks him to stop smoking because the ground is a no smoking stadium. Man tells him that he's away from everyone and outside with a 90mph wind blowing any chance of 2nd hand smoke miles away from anyone close. But they are the rules!

2.50pm - After chancing another lager he heads into the stand as the crowd picks up, he is told that he would have to drink his beer before he goes into the stand as drinking whist watching the game is prohibited. Decides to locate towards the the away fans as this is where he believes the atmosphere will be. Players come out and few songs start and he enjoys the craic with the fans.

3.15pm - Stewards ask him to sit down which he politely says that he wouldnt be able to see because people in front are stood up. Eventually the crowd settles but so does the atmosphere. Stewards and police stare at the crowd like their animals and he feels that the treatment is way over the top.

3.45pm - Decides to stay at his seat at half time. Can't hear the PA system so misses other half time scores. No entertainment apart from watching the sprinklers gradually get closer to the players warming up.

4.30pm - Game still 0-0 and hardly entertaining stuff. See's fans being chucked out for pointless petty things.

4.50pm - Game finishes and the man heads home thinking was it worth it? He's spent £30 which he could of spent in the pub watching the Premiership game on the tele.

Obviously everyones match day experiences vary but I would say that this wouldn't really attract fans into coming to the games. A few simple things like a bookies or a smoking area would help make the day experience better. It makes me laugh how naive the club have been though, I started a topic on here before the season saying how to improve the matchday experience yet even with about 5 pages of free ideas nothing has been done and they blame people for staying away. I just hope Hardy or Corney reads this and understands that turning up at Boundary Park can be a chore sometimes and part timers will stop coming all together. It's simple really just get the average guy off the street and treat him well, get him spending his money on decent food/beer, let him release his problems on a Saturday afternoon by shouting and screaming at the ref and treat him like a human being not an animal. A faster service is required as well before and at half time in serving booze so why not get a bin of cold ice water and chuck loads of (in date) bottles and dish them out. Quicker service = more money!

People might state that Stewards are doing there job but are they? They cause more arguments in the stand and they are losing the club a lot of money by their constant lack of respect to the paying supporters. Like how they got all the Cheltenham fans to sit down on Saturday, well done guys but why couldnt you do it a week earlier when the real trouble was when Millwall fans were spitting and launching p*ss over the moat! Its their section when it suits them...

Come on Oldham get the experience of coming to Boundary Park better and the fans will slowly come back.

Edited by oafckev

I got given a hip flask as an xmas gift a couple of years ago but i cant take that in the ground as it might be used as a weapon. Well excuse me have you seen the price of whisky these days im hardly likely to go throwing it about

You'd think that :wink:

QUOTE(KiDdErZ @ Aug 25 2008, 21:48 PM)

I got given a hip flask as an xmas gift a couple of years ago but i cant take that in the ground as it might be used as a weapon. Well excuse me have you seen the price of whisky these days im hardly likely to go throwing it about

Yes, you could be accused of shooting from the hip flask. :o

So we should hand out leaflets to the blue rinse brigade outside Gala bingo and tell them to get on down to latics.

I can see how you get the idea of a 'full house', but they're already eligible for concessions. To help you get the image of this category right in your own mind, think Helen Mirren.

I can see how you get the idea of a 'full house', but they're already eligible for concessions. To help you get the image of this category right in your own mind, think Helen Mirren.

Definitely 'two fat ladies' as opposed to 'legs eleven'

i've paid for a full season and would have no problem whatsoever with it.

Good post, there are plenty of other ways to spend twenty quid these days and Football in general needs to wise up, plenty of empty seats in the Premier as well in the lower leagues.

Rugby League seem to have been far more proactive in attracting supporters.

Still increasing the crowds is what the Club pays the commercial/marketing department for, so let them get their act together.

Hip flasks are presumed to contain alcohol, whereas 2 litre bottles of Tizer confound even the West Yorkshire police and stewards :)