Corney's latest statement

Hip flasks are presumed to contain alcohol, whereas 2 litre bottles of Tizer confound even the West Yorkshire police and stewards :)

Its all wrong though, whisky warms you up when its cold. Its the working mans game. I'm launching a crusade who's signing up?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corney isn't preaching to the likes of you and I who go brother. In fact I bet they wished they had another 4000 like us who are Latics to the core and spend accordingly. It's the others in Oldham he is getting at, you know the types, them that sit in the pub claiming to have an interest in Latics cos they used to go years ago and that they're Oldhamers and proud.

I'm sorry but the above has really stirred me up.

I would like nothing more to go to Boundary Park every week but having a wife, house, child and with the ? above seemingly all jobs at the moment i'm penny pinching, but i put a couple of pennys to one side for a beer every other week to spend in the pub with the lads, of which i get sick cause i'm a tick, so what, i sign up to latics world, but the shirts home and away but i'm no good cause i dont go every week?

Getting :censored:e every day off city and united fans isnt enough, no, fans who cant go are being turned on by there own, cheers lads!

If we're still playing well at Christmas and scoring plenty of goals, although it hurts me to say it, I think our floating ManUre and Citeh fans will have come to our rescue yet again by boosting the BP crowds, like they used to do in Big Joe's days. I know those two teams weren't playing on Saturday, but there was a lot of enthusiasm for Latics on GMR which, if continued, will rub off on those floaters.

Interest on GMR ????? yOU ARE HAVING A LAUGH. Unable to attend Saturday I was tuned into GMR in the car. Bolton was commentary game.......now lets go round our other local sides to see how thay are doing.......first its off to Hartlepool v Stockport....then its off to Macclesfield...then to Bury..then Rochdale.....oh and then its Boundary Park .......get the picture ? Been no interest on GMR since Joes days.

Interest on GMR ????? yOU ARE HAVING A LAUGH. Unable to attend Saturday I was tuned into GMR in the car. Bolton was commentary game.......now lets go round our other local sides to see how thay are doing.......first its off to Hartlepool v Stockport....then its off to Macclesfield...then to Bury..then Rochdale.....oh and then its Boundary Park .......get the picture ? Been no interest on GMR since Joes days.

I was talking about what I heard on the way home from the match. There were plenty of positive vibes coming over the airwaves from the presenters and callers. One Latics fan actually told the listeners that BP was the place to be for exciting quality football and plenty of goals.

Think we are both of an age to be wearing surgical stockings. Getting a little bit worried about where this thread is going.

One thing is certain everyone on here will be old someday.

But that's not certain is it? Not that I'm a doom and gloomer or anything.....

Now where is this thread going??

I feel for TTA's and can understand Simon Corneys dismay, however, you need only look at some of the other attendances in our division on Saturday to see it's not just us. It is, after all, a bank holiday weekend. Lots of people are away or doing other things for the weekend and speaking personally, I find the long school holiday period more expensive than when the kids are in school.

Scunthorpe.......Att. 4,717

Northampton.....Att. 4,402

Leyton Orient....Att. 3,803

Hartlepool Utd...Att. 3,945

Crewe Alex.......Att. 4,160

Some very poor attendances.

I will be eternally grateful to TTA's for what they have done/are doing for us and I hope they will give it until at least the January transfer window before they consider selling anyone. (Assuming attendances don't improve).

Here's hoping.

Yes but all these clubs except Orient are in small towns. We have a catchment area of 250,000. They are not all unable to pay £20. Surely we should be able to get at least another 2000 of them to turn up. A town the size of Oldham should be attracting 10000 fans. Perhaps the club should employ a PR agency to try and come up with some ideas to attract people.

I don't understand why all of a sudden the town the size of Oldham should be attracting 10,000 fans, we only just managed that when we were founder members of the premier greed.......yes, we do have a catchment area of 250,000....4-5,000 of the are loyal (wether they can get there every week or not!!) You can get max clifford if you like and he still won't generate 10,000 people up to pay £20 (just for 1 persons ticket!! and not including 2 kids, refreshments etc) for 3rd division football..no matter how entertaining we are. Although the idea of an "ageing" Helen Mirren popping in (out) to the White Hart, Rifle Range, Greyhound, Carters and Clayton Green before a game, may bring to the club the odd MILF hunter!! :D

I would like nothing more to go to Boundary Park every week but having a wife, house, child and with the ? above seemingly all jobs at the moment i'm penny pinching, but i put a couple of pennys to one side for a beer every other week to spend in the pub with the lads, of which i get sick cause i'm a tick, so what, i sign up to latics world, but the shirts home and away but i'm no good cause i dont go every week?

Getting :censored:e every day off city and united fans isnt enough, no, fans who cant go are being turned on by there own, cheers lads!

I can't see what you're problem is? If you can't afford to go then thats your reason, just state your case and move on. No one will tell you that's bull:censored: if you said it. So what about those that can afford it, sit in the pub and tell ya they're Latics and ask how did they go on? The only people I can see my original statement stirring up are those that know they're in the batch I refer.

I personally think that the club should adopt a plan for the future .

All kids under 6 FREE when entering with a Full paying adult !

The kids are the ones that the club have to get into the habit of wanting to watch Oldham Athletic .

£20 for an adult and 2 kids is a lot more attractive than £40 for the same in the Chaddy end !

Oldham as a town is in dire need of regenerating commercially, sporting and economically.

For me its simple maths and thats what sales is - £19.99 is a lot more of an attractive price than £20.

The price needs to be lowered that is obvious to everyone, but how do you raise the lost income ?

TTA missed out on a ideal opportunity to try a Season Ticket incentive this season !

We did well with the Cup Run last year and along with the sale Of Neal we must have made £600 k plus. We didnt spend a bean of that on players only using some of it to bring down the NSM stand !

Personally if I was one of TTA I would of offset £500 k against the Season ticket revenue.

So if 3000 season tickets made for example £900, 000, I would have used the £500 k and sold the ST a lot lower knowing that £500k was already in the bank.

I know better than most how much Blitz spends on the club each day, each week every month, but in order for the club to survive its the fans of tomorrow not us today that will ensure the club continues to grow.

TTA are frustrated with the attendances we get and how we manage to fill BP when they give free games or £2 games which I can understand. We need to lower the price of the gates that is obvious - £15 a game is I would say would be fair !

Yes but all these clubs except Orient are in small towns. We have a catchment area of 250,000. They are not all unable to pay £20. Surely we should be able to get at least another 2000 of them to turn up. A town the size of Oldham should be attracting 10000 fans. Perhaps the club should employ a PR agency to try and come up with some ideas to attract people.

The catchment area and interest for Orient is less that all the other clubs mentioned. They have West Ham 5 minutes down the road, Spurs / Arsenal 20mins the other way and a huge % of the population imigrants not interested in English football, I actually believe they are in the worst position of the lot.

I personally think that the club should adopt a plan for the future .

All kids under 6 FREE when entering with a Full paying adult !

The kids are the ones that the club have to get into the habit of wanting to watch Oldham Athletic .

£20 for an adult and 2 kids is a lot more attractive than £40 for the same in the Chaddy end !

Oldham as a town is in dire need of regenerating commercially, sporting and economically.

For me its simple maths and thats what sales is - £19.99 is a lot more of an attractive price than £20.

The price needs to be lowered that is obvious to everyone, but how do you raise the lost income ?

TTA missed out on a ideal opportunity to try a Season Ticket incentive this season !

We did well with the Cup Run last year and along with the sale Of Neal we must have made £600 k plus. We didnt spend a bean of that on players only using some of it to bring down the NSM stand !

I understand your logic here but the £500,000 was used to offset losses that we had already incurred!!

Personally if I was one of TTA I would of offset £500 k against the Season ticket revenue.

So if 3000 season tickets made for example £900, 000, I would have used the £500 k and sold the ST a lot lower knowing that £500k was already in the bank.

I know better than most how much Blitz spends on the club each day, each week every month, but in order for the club to survive its the fans of tomorrow not us today that will ensure the club continues to grow.

TTA are frustrated with the attendances we get and how we manage to fill BP when they give free games or £2 games which I can understand. We need to lower the price of the gates that is obvious - £15 a game is I would say would be fair !

I admit that I haven't read all 7 pages of this so sorry if I'm repeating things.

I do not understand why Simon comes out with this on such frequent occasions. I fully appreciate that they are funding the club and that it must be disappointing when you see the crowds that we are attracting but his way of doing it is nonsensical. Clearly, the statement is aimed at those who don't go but must of those don't give two hoots about the club and many more have nothing more than a passing interest. What's the point of making threats to these people that we will sell players... THEY DON'T CARE! This is the wrong way to attract people, there's no point telling them to come and at the same time telling them that we are probably about the weaken the squad.

There are many reasons why the crowd was down on Saturday; holidays, bank holiday weekend, Leeds festival. Look at other crowds around the country. Newcastle had their lowest league attendance since they redeveloped the ground. Huddersfield had an attendance of three thousand less than the number of season tickets they sold.

Selling Taylor now would be a crazy thing to do. Crowds would drop further and we would be back into the viscious circle.

If we keep winning and playing as we are, crowds will start to increase. If we're doing well, people will want to be a part of it.

I know it is easy for me to say but it is time to KEEP THE FAITH!

For the past few years I have put £30 a month aside to pay for my season ticket, (that's about £7.50 a week) so that when May/June comes round when the STs are available I have had had enough cash to pay for it with a little left over. I drive to most home games now so having a drink is out for me and I am one of those people that proves the adage that the bookies always win so I don't have a bet, not a fan of mass catering either as I like my food to taste good, plus for the past few seasons my mum has asked me to pop round on a Saturday and do a few odd-jobs for her and she "pays" me back with a fry up so I am not hungry at the game. I occasionally get a bottle of coke or a coffee when it is nippy & a programme, so the cost of going to the game for me is:

£7.50 - Season ticket

£3 - Car park ( I could save this if I parked elsewhere and walk up to the ground)

£3 - Programme

£1.50 Coke/Coffee

£15 - Total

Ok, not included petrol or wear and tear on the tyres (and suspension in that car park) but £15 isn't bad is it? Perhaps I am one of the lucky ones and can afford to put the money aside, I don't have to work on Saturdays or Tuesday evenings and at the moment I am not really doing aways but I understand that the money I spend is going back to the club and if I want to still have those enjoyable few hours on a Saturday then I need to keep on stumping up.

I was gutted when I heard the crowd on Saturday and can fully understand where Simon Corney is coming from, to us Latics is Latics but to him and the other two it is a business as well, they have kept up their side of the bargain this year and provided the product and us as customers (which we are) simply did not buy it on Saturday.

You wouldn't sell Beluga Caviar on Oldham Market, likewise you wouldn't sell a snout & hoof burger and Bovril in The Savoy as there wouldn't be a market for them and you would make a loss. People have said that we need to play good, attractive and winning football before people will come back but this is chicken and egg, this has to be paid for first which judging by this season so far it has but if the crowds don't return then all we will be left with is chicken:censored:.

I understand your logic here but wasn't the £500,000 used to offset losses already incurred!!

I bet TTA wish they'd only lost £500,000 and Trotters had wiped that out!. It's simple really which ever way we want to butter this up 4500 a game (any game) is nowhere near enough. Forget the three guys my heart sinks when I see that at my Latics. Corney stated if 5500 or there abouts turned up they'd be chuffed and still stump up the £7,500 a week loss with the hope once the product on the pitch warranted a futher 1000 more coming onto the gate. If that was the case they'd increase the calibre of player, wage bill and again most likely carry the loss that incurred.

We need more punters................... all of us needs more punters, simple as.

Edited by Lags

I haven't trawled through all 8 pages of this thread so apologies if I'm repeating what has already been said.

I don't see that Corney has done anything other than state the obvious, the financial facts are no secret and have been in the public domain for a long time.

The club simply cannot survive on 4,600 crowds without TTA digging deep into their own pockets to offset the weekly operating losses.

If crowds don't improve we will have to sell a player in order to balance the books somewhat.

I would hope over the next few months if we continue to play good attacking, winning football that some of the 'stayaways' will steadily drift back to BP.

If not then we can probably expect Eardley or Taylor to be sold during the January transfer window as was the case with Trotman, simple as that.

I haven't trawled through all 8 pages of this thread so apologies if I'm repeating what has already been said.

I don't see that Corney has done anything other than state the obvious, the financial facts are no secret and have been in the public domain for a long time.

The club simply cannot survive on 4,600 crowds without TTA digging deep into their own pockets to offset the weekly operating losses.

If crowds don't improve we will have to sell a player in order to balance the books somewhat.

I would hope over the next few months if we continue to play good attacking, winning football that some of the 'stayaways' will steadily drift back to BP.

If not then we can probably expect Eardley or Taylor to be sold during the January transfer window as was the case with Trotman, simple as that.

He has stated the obvious, my only problem with that is that it feels like he's having a dig at those who do go regularly, when clearly he's after getting the occasional fan to turn up more often.

I will always say playing good football is the key to this and while there's never any hope of Oldham playing in a 40,000 seater stadium (certainly not a full one) week in week out, playing as we have done over the last few games will ensure crowds increase.

My main challenge to Mr Corney is "what are the club doing about it?"

Where's the innovation, pricing schemes etc that are needed? Earlier on this board I suggested a ten match ticket. Somebody else took this a step further and suggested the three match ticket. A "3 for £50" offer ensures that you get the fan for the next three games. Chuck in a few vouchers (e.g. 50p off a programme etc for each game) and you might be able to up your income in the ground. How many people see a good game, see a poor game and miss the next game? A 3 for £50 may just help!

How easy is it to buy online these days? Do the club/agent still charge a fee for this? Does the 2% credit card surcharge lose more than 2% of potential business?

There seem to be lots of little ways that an extra 50 here or 100 there could be attract to BP, paying close to full price for the opportunity. But I don't see that sort of innovation within the revered walls of Oldham Athletic 2004 Ltd.

then he's not having a go at you either.

it's not rocket science, is it?

He has stated the obvious, my only problem with that is that it feels like he's having a dig at those who do go regularly, when clearly he's after getting the occasional fan to turn up more often.

I will always say playing good football is the key to this and while there's never any hope of Oldham playing in a 40,000 seater stadium (certainly not a full one) week in week out, playing as we have done over the last few games will ensure crowds increase.

My main challenge to Mr Corney is "what are the club doing about it?"

Where's the innovation, pricing schemes etc that are needed? Earlier on this board I suggested a ten match ticket. Somebody else took this a step further and suggested the three match ticket. A "3 for £50" offer ensures that you get the fan for the next three games. Chuck in a few vouchers (e.g. 50p off a programme etc for each game) and you might be able to up your income in the ground. How many people see a good game, see a poor game and miss the next game? A 3 for £50 may just help!

How easy is it to buy online these days? Do the club/agent still charge a fee for this? Does the 2% credit card surcharge lose more than 2% of potential business?

There seem to be lots of little ways that an extra 50 here or 100 there could be attract to BP, paying close to full price for the opportunity. But I don't see that sort of innovation within the revered walls of Oldham Athletic 2004 Ltd.

Brother I am not trying to single you out here or poo pooing all of your post, but your main challenge is being met in the best possible way......................... the squad! the best possible way of increasing the crowd more so than any scheme is a winning entertaining side out on the pitch. What the guy is saying we've built this squad with the notion that last seasons crowd at least stays the same, but it asn't. I can see where those saying if they sell this window they'll feel as if they've been sold down the river after seeing a little light at the end of the dross we've endured are coming from. But let me just say Latics have been doing this like forever, doesn't make it any sweeter I know. I just hope TTA keep the faith until at least the Jan window and see where we are. If the crowds are no better then, I'll totally understand them balancing the books in anyway they can.

Edited by Lags

For the past few years I have put £30 a month aside to pay for my season ticket, (that's about £7.50 a week) so that when May/June comes round when the STs are available I have had had enough cash to pay for it with a little left over. I drive to most home games now so having a drink is out for me and I am one of those people that proves the adage that the bookies always win so I don't have a bet, not a fan of mass catering either as I like my food to taste good, plus for the past few seasons my mum has asked me to pop round on a Saturday and do a few odd-jobs for her and she "pays" me back with a fry up so I am not hungry at the game. I occasionally get a bottle of coke or a coffee when it is nippy & a programme, so the cost of going to the game for me is:

£7.50 - Season ticket

£3 - Car park ( I could save this if I parked elsewhere and walk up to the ground)

£3 - Programme

£1.50 Coke/Coffee

£15 - Total

Ok, not included petrol or wear and tear on the tyres (and suspension in that car park) but £15 isn't bad is it? Perhaps I am one of the lucky ones and can afford to put the money aside, I don't have to work on Saturdays or Tuesday evenings and at the moment I am not really doing aways but I understand that the money I spend is going back to the club and if I want to still have those enjoyable few hours on a Saturday then I need to keep on stumping up.

I could see what you are getting at but, and I'm pretty sure im not missing anything, surely you have to work out the cost of your season ticket on a game by game basis by dividing the ticket cost by the number of fixtures to which it gains you admission? I make that approximately £14 which increases your match day price by some 50%. Still worth every penny in my book. However if I had 2/3 lads, which I haven’t, im not sure id be able to afford to take them every week.

I believe £20 is a fair enough price, it is in line with the market. Further, I think the 30% saving per game when buying a season ticket makes it excellent value. It is half what the Leeds faithful pay is it not? However I see no harm in a 'kid or two free with a paying adult' type of scheme......as has been pointed out repeatedly a kid for free is better than an empty seat, for the dad, the lad and the club.....especially when the kid is seeing good, winning football (in a football atmosphere) and is able to make a hero of the likes of Hughes (!?! :wink: ) and hopefully get hooked for life. If crowds began to swell with 'free kids' thus damaging the opportunity to admit paying customers then simply identify fixtures where it may be an issue and make them all ticket, adjusting or dropping the kids free scheme for these games. It would be a nice problem to have and I cant imagine many would complain at Latics revoking their kids free ticket in order to sell it to someone else. Those that would....bollocks to them.

Can anybody point out the pitfalls of such a scheme? If not, then why is it not implemented without delay? As I said before now is a time for getting kids hooked. Some may moan they have got their kid a season ticket.....these fans should be 'hardcore' enough to to recognise the motives behind such a scheme and will get over it in due course.

I noticed one of the new appointments on the commercial side is Richard Taylor, a very clever lad who is Latics to the bone. I am confident he will do his upmost for our cause and expect to see things happening soon. He will certainly do more than Bob, the oldest swinger in town!