sick of being kicked in the teeth...

why bob for airing an opinion that dare question mr corney's comments ....

no just read between the lines

Future of the squad is in the public’s hands — Latics director

Reporter: Michael Yarwood

Date online: 25/08/2008

MANAGING director Simon Corney has issued a stark warning that cash-strapped Athletic may be forced to sell one of their star players.

Mr Corney admitted he was “gutted and upset†to see a crowd of only 4,673 for Saturday’s game with Cheltenham — and he said the lack of support could cost Athletic a chance of promotion.

He said: “This is something I need to talk about because it’s vital to the future and central to our hopes of reaching the Championship.

“We’ve put together a good squad of players, headed by a good management team, but we simply cannot sustain it with attendances like this.

“I understand it’s expensive, people are struggling and others might be on holiday but, seriously, the future of this squad is completely in the hands of the public.

“There are no worries about the club itself because we’ve engineered it so there won’t be any danger, but our destiny is not in our own hands.

“We beat Cheltenham with a fantastic performance, but the shine was taken off when a crowd of 4,600 was announced.

“It was very, very disappointing. I was gutted and upset, and I just wish the peripheral fans realised we have been backed into a corner.

“The way things are, we can’t keep our squad going on such low gates and we’ve got no choice but to look at other ways of raising money.

“We are doing all we can to hold on to our players, but it’s a genuine and major concern because we can’t keep doing that forever.

“In the budget we allow ourselves to lose a lot of money by getting crowds of between 5,500 and 6,000. We actually need 7,500 to break even, but 6,000 is manageable — the figure on Saturday definitely wasn’t.

“In no way am I pouring cold water on a great start to the season. It has been tremendous and I know some people will say I’m being negative, but I’m afraid it’s the truth.

“Keeping this team and squad together is dependent on people attending games. I’m not screaming and shouting about it, I just want everyone to realise our situation.

“If 1,000 more fans came through the turnstiles we could cover half of our weekly losses (of around £15,000) and maybe even bring more players in.

“We won our first two league games, including a great victory at Leeds, and then only 4,600 turned up here the following week. We have a very good team this season and, for many reasons, I hope people come along to see it.â€

Athletic’s average league gate last term was 5,327 — a 16-per-cent drop on the previous year and their lowest since 2000/2001.

They have turned down several bids for players but don’t have another home match before the transfer window shuts next week

in short not enough people are not watching latics ,so the tta might have to sell to break even which i am sure the tta don't want to do ,they carn't keep on putting money into the club when crowds are down , so they have right to complain about the stayways in oldham Edited by boboafc

:blink:

Err... I know double negatives are confusing, however are TTA complaining that we have too many people at Boundary park??

:wink:

"no just read between the lines in short not enough people are not watching at bp" Reading between the lines, as suggested, I think he means there are too many people having a go at the away fans/stewards etc, standing up, singing, banging the drum, oggling fit female stewards and not watching the match... :grin:

:getmecoat:

no just read between the lines in short not enough people are watching latics ,so the tta might have to sell to break even which i am sure the tta don't want to do ,they carn't keep on putting money into the club when crowds are down , so they have right to complain about the stayways in oldham

in short fixed

Edited by boboafc