So who still thinks that Stam is better than Gregan?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen a few comments on here in the last couple of weeks suggesting that Stefan should be in the team in front of our Captain.

Although I like Stam, I hope that tonight has shown that he is not on the same planet, never mind the same pitch as Greagan.

Cheers,

Harry

You think it's fair to base a decision like that on tonight? The two players who struggled tonight were the two with the least match time on the pitch...Stam and Maher. Clearly lacking match time and sharpness and as I'm stating elsewhere, this is down to a severe shortage of reserve games. TBH, I don't go in for this who is better between the two...I've no preference as I like both very much...but to judge Stam tonight under the circumstances, I think is a bit unfair.

I've seen a few comments on here in the last couple of weeks suggesting that Stefan should be in the team in front of our Captain.

Although I like Stam, I hope that tonight has shown that he is not on the same planet, never mind the same pitch as Greagan.

Cheers,

Harry

What a :censored: stupid post! so you judge a player on one game do you.

im not saying Stam is better but your saying one game proves that one player is better than another

Edited by sheridans_world
Watch it

You think it's fair to base a decision like that on tonight? The two players who struggled tonight were the two with the least match time on the pitch...Stam and Maher. Clearly lacking match time and sharpness and as I'm stating elsewhere, this is down to a severe shortage of reserve games. TBH, I don't go in for this who is better between the two...I've no preference as I like both very much...but to judge Stam tonight under the circumstances, I think is a bit unfair.

I'm not basing it purely on tonight.

IMO, Stam, as much as I like him at 3rd division level, is nowhere near the Player Gregan is.

I also recall Gregan coming back into the team last season with "less match time on the pitch" than Stam due to being out injured for 5 months and showing his "class" Would you also consider that an unfair judgement?

With regard to you not going in for who is better than who, we all have our prefernces, and Shez actually has to make that judgement each week when selcting the team. :wink:

Returning to Stam, I don't think that tonight was down to not playing reserve team football, but poor judgement, which he does have a habit of doing at least once per match and quite often costing us a goal, even when he has been playing week in, week out. That was really my point and something that IMO was confirmed again tonight. Stefan is a decent player, its just for me, having played at Championship and Premiership level for virtually all his career, must mean that Gregan has far more about him and for others to claim this is not the case, well they can borrow my rose tinted glasses next time they watch him. :grin:

im not saying Stam is better but your saying one game proves that one player is better than another

Please refer to post number 11.

I think that clarifies my opinion. Apologies if anyone read it otherwise. However, I did also say in the original post that I liked Stam. So, please it isn't a :censored: stupid post.

Cheers,

Harry

Edited by sheridans_world
Language

Why is it a stupid post?

This is a Latics fans forum discussing players merits etc is what it is intended for, as fans we compare players all the time.

Also the comparison between Gregan and Stam need not be based on one game but can be based on nearly 2 years that Gregan has been at the club and Stam even longer, not one match.

Quite frankly there is absolutely no comparison between the 2 players as Gregan is simply different class to Stam, anyone who thinks Stam is a better player than Gregan needs to either attend more games or pay more attention to what is going on during matches.

I spoke to a couple of my mates who went to the game last night and they said that Stam was one of our better performers last night.

My personal opinion is that I prefer Stam, but there's no doubting Gregan's class.

I've always been in the stam camp but I agree he was poor last night, as were all the defence. However, gregan has the turning circle of the qe2! Hewould have been shown up last night, maybe it's good he wasn't playing?

Why is it a stupid post?

This is a Latics fans forum discussing players merits etc is what it is intended for, as fans we compare players all the time.

Also the comparison between Gregan and Stam need not be based on one game but can be based on nearly 2 years that Gregan has been at the club and Stam even longer, not one match.

Quite frankly there is absolutely no comparison between the 2 players as Gregan is simply different class to Stam, anyone who thinks Stam is a better player than Gregan needs to either attend more games or pay more attention to what is going on during matches.

To be honest...I don't buy this "basing it on 2yrs" line that the OP has come out with. It's another "lying in wait" post...waiting for Stams next bad game to bring up a personal preference that Gregan is better than him and hiding behind the "2yrs" analysis. No doubt, the OP has said all he's said tonight many times over the summer when the exact same topic has been discussed...but then come along after Stams first start of the season (one which I think there are lots of reasons for him to not be at his best) and used it as an example to say how Gregans far better. Unfairly on this occassion IMO. Both have faults. Both can be liabilities and heroes. I await Stams next blinding game or Gregans next poor one for those who say Gregans not as good and Stams the man....which will see Stams fans back on here with the antidote to this post.

Edited by boundaryblue80

To be honest...I don't buy this "basing it on 2yrs" line that the OP has come out with. It's another "lying in wait" post...waiting for Stams next bad game to bring up a personal preference that Gregan is better than him and hiding behind the "2yrs" analysis. No doubt, the OP has said all he's said tonight many times over the summer when the exact same topic has been discussed...but then decided to choose Stams first start of the season (one which I think there are lots of reasons for him to not be at his best) as an example to say how Gregans far better. Both have faults. Both can be liabilities and heroes. I await Stams next blinding game or Gregans next poor one for those who say Gregans not as good and Stams the man....which will see Stams fans back on here with the antidote to this post.

It's all about opinions I know but my judgement of Gregan against Stam is based entirely on having seen Gregan play dozens of games and Stam even more, it has nothing to do with Stam's performance last night.

I simply do not think Stam is anywhere near the player that Gregan is.

It's all about opinions I know but my judgement of Gregan against Stam is based entirely on having seen Gregan play dozens of games and Stam even more, it has nothing to do with Stam's performance last night.

I simply do not think Stam is anywhere near the player that Gregan is.

I respect that...I'm meaning about the opening post of this reoccuring topic. I understand others coming along and agreeing over the OP's views, basing them on over 2yrs but this topic is just a "lying in wait" topic...as I say, the views of Harry Dowd most likely were viewed during the summer or last season and are perfectly valid...but to come along and state the following based on last night to support a preconceived view when Stams clearly got reasons for that performance, I just think is unfair and a bit unnecessary...

"I've seen a few comments on here in the last couple of weeks suggesting that Stefan should be in the team in front of our Captain. Although I like Stam, I hope that tonight has shown that he is not on the same planet"

Oh well...

Edited by boundaryblue80

I respect that...I'm meaning about the opening post of this reoccuring topic. I understand others coming along and agreeing over the OP's views, basing them on over 2yrs but this topic is just a "lying in wait" topic...as I say, the views of Harry Dowd most likely were viewed during the summer or last season and are perfectly valid...but to come along and state the following based on last night to support a preconceived view when Stams clearly got reasons for that performance, I just think is unfair and a bit unnecessary...

"I've seen a few comments on here in the last couple of weeks suggesting that Stefan should be in the team in front of our Captain. Although I like Stam, I hope that tonight has shown that he is not on the same planet"

Oh well...

Sorry, I didn't fully understand what you where saying initially.

I agree any judgement of Stam should not be based entirely on last nights performance as it was his first of the season.

I do think Stam is a decent League 1 centre half who is a bit error prone (then again so is Gregan), I just think Gregan has a lot more to his all round game and has a greater aerial prescence than Stam.

I also recall Gregan coming back into the team last season with "less match time on the pitch" than Stam due to being out injured for 5 months and showing his "class" Would you also consider that an unfair judgement?

Yes. Because it isn't true. His first game back was in the horror show at Swindon where he played in midfield and didn't especially "show his class".

Oh well...

Well like you BB80 I am entitled to an opinion. I have in no way slagged Stefan off and I have made it quite clear from the outsetof the original posting that I like Stam as a player particularly at this level. Neither was my post a "lying in wait topic" as you say. The fact remains that the the comparison/choice has been mentioned on here recently and I used that fact as my opening comment.

I also go on to say that Stefan "is a decent player."

I was very happy that he re-signed during the summer. He is more than useful at this level and certainly adds strength to the squad from the defences point of view.

Please see post 11 of this topic, where I make clear that (a) Stam tends to make 1 major mistake each match (often leading to us conceeding) and (B) Gregans vast experience of higher level football are my reasons for forming my opinion. I don't think that suggests that my opinion was based purely on last nights game. However I cannot disagree that my thoughts are somewhat preconceived as I have had the best part of 2 years watching the pair in the blue (orange/Fluo yellow) shirt to form that opinion.

I'm sure that myself, like others have opinions regarding several players for the other positions, Hazel & Thompson, Liddell & Smalley/Taylor, Davies & Allessandra etc etc.

My belief is that with the way that we are set up we will score goals, the key to success this season will be clean sheets and IMO the inclusion of Gregan over Stam as first choice gives us the best chance of achieving those clean sheets. Too many times last season, particularly at home, we lost matches 1-0 (no I'm not saying they were (all) Stam's fault) and it was something that clearly needed rectifying. The extra points from turning 1-0 or 2-1 defeats or even 0-0 and 1-1 draws into wins is enough to make the difference between promotion/playoffs and another season in this league.

Now Stam playing with Gregan instead of Hazel & Gregan is another matter. Gregan IMO is equally comfortable playing left or right of the central partnership and I believe that this gives Shez that extra flexibility. The Hazel / Stam pairing is also more than uselful, but my OP was based on the fact that I recalled the previous discussion was about certain posters preferring Stean to Gregan. Maybe, I should have expanded the OP somewhat to more fully explain my thinking, but it was only intended to be a brief comment.

Finally for absolute clarity BB the post was not an attempt to assassinate Stefan, who I rate at division 3 level. Hang on. I better clarify that just in case the comment is seen as a swipe at any of our other players. I rate all our players at divsion 3 level. :D

I've always been in the stam camp but I agree he was poor last night, as were all the defence. However, gregan has the turning circle of the qe2! He would have been shown up last night, maybe it's good he wasn't playing?

I'd go the opposite way. Gregan was immense at Burnley last season and in no way shown up.

A well, as far as he's concerned a rest is as good as a chang... hold on that's not right.

Yes. Because it isn't true. His first game back was in the horror show at Swindon where he played in midfield and didn't especially "show his class".

Fair point. However, I dind't go to Swindon so can't comment personally, although all the reports (Chron, on here etc) suggest that Gregan (and the rest of the team) didn't pull any trees up that day. However, my point was more specifically aimed at his return to centre half when injuries allowed.

The Swindon game you refer to, IIRC, saw the return of both Gregan and Liddell before they should have done. Both playing because of our horrendous injury sitaution at that time and Gregan playing in midfield, because basically there was no one else.

Cheers,

Harry