This point has been touched on a few times in recent weeks but even Shez said in his post match interview. " You could see that the players who came in need games "

This reserve situation is clearly going to affect our general match fitness and a friendly once every 2 or 3 weeks is not going to help matters.

I really hope the club have made the right decision but there's no way that you stay match fit playing friendlies where there are no trophies and league positions to worry about!!!

This point has been touched on a few times in recent weeks but even Shez said in his post match interview. " You could see that the players who came in need games "

This reserve situation is clearly going to affect our general match fitness and a friendly once every 2 or 3 weeks is not going to help matters.

I really hope the club have made the right decision but there's no way that you stay match fit playing friendlies where there are no trophies and league positions to worry about!!!

I think the club has made a mistake in dropping the reserve team fixture list, we already at this early stage of the season find ourselves fielding players who are clearly short of match fitness, due to their being no suitable reserve team fixtures in which to give players a run out.

I think the decision was a kneejerk one made after last seasons unusual injury situation where we were struggling to fulfill reserve team fixtures with a team full of youth team players as the 'genuine' reserves were all required for the first team.

This season with a bigger stronger squad we have more players to keep match fit and yet far less fixtures in which to do this.

Hopefully we will not have any repeat of last seasons injury problems, which may in itself see us struggle to find playing opportunities for the peripheral players.

I believe the reserves have 3 cups to play in this season.

It also seems like we arrange friendlies when we know what the first team are doing. Now that we are out of the Carling Cup, we have arranged a friendly straight away. Same may apply for the tinpot. I have a feeling that it will work in our favour this season.

I believe the reserves have 3 cups to play in this season.

It also seems like we arrange friendlies when we know what the first team are doing. Now that we are out of the Carling Cup, we have arranged a friendly straight away. Same may apply for the tinpot. I have a feeling that it will work in our favour this season.

so just say the side goes out of the 3 cups in the first round...then what????

i said it at the time and i'll say it again,the club have dropped a huge one not playing regular games and fighting for a trophy and position....this will come back to bite the club on the arse if we ever have a serious injury problem like last season......

its all well and good having a friendly here there and everywhere,but its a nothing game,nothing at stake and not played how it should be,its just a workout,nothing more....

i just hope our injurys dont arise again or else where knackered.

i said it at the time and i'll say it again,the club have dropped a huge one not playing regular games and fighting for a trophy and position....this will come back to bite the club on the arse if we ever have a serious injury problem like last season......

its all well and good having a friendly here there and everywhere,but its a nothing game,nothing at stake and not played how it should be,its just a workout,nothing more....

Then we arrange more fixtures and don't have a backlog in the reserves. Last season we were in a tough league and I'm not sure where we finished but I'd imagine it was quite low. Do we want to be demoralising our reserves?

If the players can't go and play a friendly and play to their full potential (they are vying for a place in the 1st team remember!), then it's probably a good thing that they aren't in the 1st team in the first place.

Then we arrange more fixtures and don't have a backlog in the reserves. Last season we were in a tough league and I'm not sure where we finished but I'd imagine it was quite low. Do we want to be demoralising our reserves?

If the players can't go and play a friendly and play to their full potential (they are vying for a place in the 1st team remember!), then it's probably a good thing that they aren't in the 1st team in the first place.

A tough league !! -

We played Port Vale , Walsall, Bury , Shrewsbury and Huddersfield amongst others.

Hardly a tough reserve league.

Yes we played a lot of youngsters because of injuries but that will stand them better for the future than the current set up of friendlies and a few cup games.

I think this has been a major error of judgement on the managements part this season and hopefully it wont come back to haunt us.

Maybe im being a dope, but doesn't the problem arise if we have zero injuries all season???? :unsure:

Or do you mean a freak week where we suffer eleven first team injuries and have to field a side with little match practice? :unsure:

Maybe im being a dope, but doesn't the problem arise if we have zero injuries all season???? :unsure:

Or do you mean a freak week where we suffer eleven first team injuries and have to field a side with little match practice? :unsure:

there is already a problem isnt there and we dont have injuries..so in one way yes your right...

and no i wasnt meaning a freak injury list,but if we had the same problems as last season.....

as for being in a tough league last year....well,the majority of our reserve players where playing in the first 11,virtually all season.....so tony p didnt have many to pick from and had to throw scholars into the side with no experience at all,that is why the reserves got battered last season,using 16 year olds because he had no other option...

a friendly is a friendly,played at a much slower tempo and not as much aggression,compared towards a competative reserve game with something to play for....

maybe im wrong.....but what happens if say hughes and a couple of others get injuries,out for say 6 weeks......how do they then get match fitness back when the injury has cleared up....you just cant throw them back into the first team,that is where ya will miss reserve matches.