We want Hughes

I understand the sentiments last night and quite agree with them. If you want to win a game against a team from a higher division (admittedly we are only separated on the league ladder by one place at the mo) you have to start your best 11 availible that means you don't leave your first two choice forwards on the bench, your 'best' centre half at home etc. But for fans to sing 'we want Hughes' when O'Grady is trying his heart out for the team is wrong. It doesn't give him any confidence and basically says that the fans of his new team don't think he's any good (I for one think he's good but not good enough to be in the team at the mo). I've got no problem with fans singing Hughes songs if he's on the bench but they shouldn't sing negative songs about those on the pitch (and singing we want Hughes is in that category).

BTW I understand Shez's decision but I don't like it.

I understand the sentiments last night and quite agree with them. If you want to win a game against a team from a higher division (admittedly we are only separated on the league ladder by one place at the mo) you have to start your best 11 availible that means you don't leave your first two choice forwards on the bench, your 'best' centre half at home etc. But for fans to sing 'we want Hughes' when O'Grady is trying his heart out for the team is wrong. It doesn't give him any confidence and basically says that the fans of his new team don't think he's any good (I for one think he's good but not good enough to be in the team at the mo). I've got no problem with fans singing Hughes songs if he's on the bench but they shouldn't sing negative songs about those on the pitch (and singing we want Hughes is in that category).

BTW I understand Shez's decision but I don't like it.

There were one or two booing O'Grady off last night - hardly his fault he never got the ball at his feet or a winger at his side was it?

Refuse to boo anyone in a latics shirt personally especially someone like O'Grady who always gives 100%. Also didnt agree with singing we want Hughesy on as those fans were no doubt singin johnny sheridan etc.

He did look gutted to go off. He got scraps and was far too isolated on his own up front - a lot to ask of the lad against higher league opposition, plus he was kicked up in the air by dirty Burnley every time he got near the ball - he held up well but just didn't get the support he badly needed from midfield or a second striker. He's had a shaky start but i'm sure will come through - lets not get on his back and lets not have another Ricketts situation - a waste of everyones time, our money and our chances of promotion,

I wasn't at Burnley but I've liked what I've seen of O'Grady so far. He's different to what we've had recently, it might take him time to fit into how we play (especially when the others don't know either :unsure: ) but I think he'll do fine. Anyone who booed him can go piss up a rope.

Didn't go to Burnley due to the Col U trip Sat but some Latics fans insist on having a Boo Boy every season last season in the Lookers upper we had Smalley, Davies, Eardley and even Taylor!! Eardley most games before the game kicks off!!

We will always have fans that will Boo our own players. After moving to the Maine Stand this year I have already had Eardley is Crap, Davies isn't fit to wear the shirt and Maher should never play again for the club (after the first game of the season lol) :angry:

Didn't go to Burnley due to the Col U trip Sat but some Latics fans insist on having a Boo Boy every season last season in the Lookers upper we had Smalley, Davies, Eardley and even Taylor!! Eardley most games before the game kicks off!!

We will always have fans that will Boo our own players. After moving to the Maine Stand this year I have already had Eardley is Crap, Davies isn't fit to wear the shirt and Maher should never play again for the club (after the first game of the season lol) :angry:

people who say that clearly dont know what they are going on about!!! 1 word for them d***s

ktf oafc

Refuse to boo anyone in a latics shirt personally especially someone like O'Grady who always gives 100%. Also didnt agree with singing we want Hughesy on as those fans were no doubt singin johnny sheridan etc.

I was one of those singing 'we want Hughes on'. Like you I will never boo a latics player. The reason I was singing was not a personal attack on O'Grady. With the way the game was going (O'Grady feeding on scraps) I thought Hughesy would be better at holding the ball up. I rate O'Grady I think he has some good ability on the ball but the Burnley defenders had the measure of him on Tuesday and it just wasnt his night. And yes I was also singing Johnny Sheridan aswell because I like to show my support in a vocal way. Are we not allowed to show support for our manager?

Yea it was out of order chanting we want Hughesy on. And to Boo O Grady was shocking.

I do appreciate Hughes but some people go over the top. I mean even when someone else does all the work or Hughes sets it up. Its always Hughesy, Hughsey...

I dont know how this makes the other players feel?

Didn't hear the boos for O'Grady, but we were way off to one side.

Some 'fans' need to gain a bit of perspective. And a few braincells.

I like the look of O'Grady, but I think it's going to take him a little while to step up to League One level. He has the strength but it's obvious he's used to having the extra time you get in League Two. Tuesday night will have been a valuable lesson in his development - sometimes as a striker you have to feed off scraps, and may only get one decent chance. I've got every faith in him improving though - he looks like a worker who will learn.

Yea it was out of order chanting we want Hughesy on. And to Boo O Grady was shocking.

I do appreciate Hughes but some people go over the top. I mean even when someone else does all the work or Hughes sets it up. Its always Hughesy, Hughsey...

I dont know how this makes the other players feel?

I agree

I really like Hughesy myself - think its a massive plus we have him in our ranks BUT; i do think its getting a bit silly how many chants he gets. The Dale game was the case in point, when after the penalty shoot where Norm saved the penalties & another 3 players scored their kicks - at the end when we won, its was all " HUGHESY HUGHESY"....

I'm all for chanting for the players - but i think we need to share it out it tad more as its very Hughes orientated at the moment i feel

Yes to chanting, no to disgraceful booing.

Hughesy is the flavour of the week - I've got a feeling (in my water) that he may take the end of season Player of the Year plaudits. I'm sure Chris O'Grady will get his chance to shine, but, it may only come at the expense of Hughes/Davies/Alessandra.