Oldham Rugby Fans

Why do the supporters of the rugby club have an antipathy for Latics? I know one rugby fan from Shaw who went to the Rochdale game; he went in with the Rochdale fans (he doesn’t support them) & wanted them to win. I asked him why he wanted Rochdale to win and he replied “because I’m a Rugby fan”. He is born & bred in Oldham.

Why do the supporters of the rugby club have an antipathy for Latics? I know one rugby fan from Shaw who went to the Rochdale game; he went in with the Rochdale fans (he doesn’t support them) & wanted them to win. I asked him why he wanted Rochdale to win and he replied “because I’m a Rugby fan”. He is born & bred in Oldham.

You could say "why do Latics fans always slag off the Yeds" It's something that as long as I can ever remember as always been as people like RL, some like Football.

... but reached a peak around the time the Yeds started palying at BP when the council owned the ground. When Latics bought it back they put up the rent to the Yeds which they knew they had no chance of paying. Yeds spend several years without a ground until the current board come to an agreement for them to come back.

most Yeds fans believe Latics shafted them and I agree, but this was the old board.

This is what I believe happended.......... anyone confirm.

your example though is one person, I know many who support both, more though who support Latics and 'other' RL teams mostly in Super League. RL as suffered more than football with Sky

Jealous of what ???

Comment was tongue in cheek but relatively Latics are the more successful club in modern times and with a potentially bright future.

In the late 50's & 60's Oldham was considered by some to be a rugby town.

Personally I have no ill will towards the yeds, but have no real interest in them, or egg chasing in general

... but reached a peak around the time the Yeds started palying at BP when the council owned the ground. When Latics bought it back they put up the rent to the Yeds which they knew they had no chance of paying. Yeds spend several years without a ground until the current board come to an agreement for them to come back.

.....But really the blame shouldn't lie with Latics...... it's the council's fault for never finding the 'Yeds a new ground after Watersheddings was closed like they promised.

If you rented a house and the landlord put the price up then there's nothing you can do about it except move on; you can't blame TTA for doing this, their job is to make profit for Latics, to get a return on their investment, and they did the right thing to put the rent up to try to make money. Not LAtics problem I'm afraid.

Plus the buggers always ruin the pitch :angry:

I support both teams which to me makes perfect sense because I like football and rugby league and was born in Oldham.

It was a sad day for the town when Watersheddings got knocked down, I know it was a dump but it had character and I have some great memories of the place.

Edited by Horlicks

Seems to be a bit of a trend with football and rugby not getting on.

Roughyeds come across and bitter and twisted with regards to us.

Wigan football fans and rugby have never seemed to have been the fondest.

Same goes with Hornets (very select few fans) and Dale fans wondering why Hornets cant *insert swear* and play elsewhere than Spotland.

Various reasons I suppose. My uncle was an avid rugby fan and always resented the fact that after being top dog in the town in the 50's, Latics started getting 20,000 plus crowds in the early 60's. He always vowed Rugby would get to Wembley first so he wasn't exactly happy in 1990 either. And then when we got the the First Division..............

For all that he was a smashing bloke, just chose the wrong club !

Various reasons I suppose. My uncle was an avid rugby fan and always resented the fact that after being top dog in the town in the 50's, Latics started getting 20,000 plus crowds in the early 60's. He always vowed Rugby would get to Wembley first so he wasn't exactly happy in 1990 either. And then when we got the the First Division..............

For all that he was a smashing bloke, just chose the wrong club !

I support both.

A mixture of jealousy and mental illness

ORLFC shafted themselves. Went from being one of the cream of club rugby late 50s to where they are now. Let the ground fall into disrepair despite good revenue from scratchcards...successful night club etc. Now because we wanted to charge them rent we are the bad guys. The rugby crowd are so deluded as to the quality of their game.

Even super league is crap these days compared to the old winter game..all in the name of trying to be Australian like. Makes me sick. Then their was the fiasco with the lottery winner. and the sucking up that went with it. Well he kept his money ....maybe they think that he shafted them too ?

As for neglect we are no saints either..we were almost dead once.

.....But really the blame shouldn't lie with Latics...... it's the council's fault for never finding the 'Yeds a new ground after Watersheddings was closed like they promised.

If you rented a house and the landlord put the price up then there's nothing you can do about it except move on; you can't blame TTA for doing this, their job is to make profit for Latics, to get a return on their investment, and they did the right thing to put the rent up to try to make money. Not LAtics problem I'm afraid.

Plus the buggers always ruin the pitch :angry:

Poor directors that lead to the ground being condemned, Quinn 'loosing' all their super league money so they went bust ... the council said they'll redevelop Westfield running track so League can be played there (saw the plans as Grandad was chairman of the sports council) and the they sold it to B&Q.

Some simply blame Latics for it all .......... but the damage was done a long time before we 'basically' kicked them out.

At the end of the day without the Rugby team Latics would be losing out on money.

The one time i was annoyed with the TTA was when they charged over £4,000 to play at BP, still didn't hate the football club though.

They've been good to Roughyeds ever since though really, they dropped the rent and then dropped it even more when they were in debt.

As for eddyblue, look at the New Start Mortages stand and you'll see some white boards with Quinn Group on them. Well Bill Quinn is owner of Roughyeds and he isn't short of cash, so i would have to say the Rugby have the brighter future. As for modern times, neither club as had any succes really, both been in debt in the last few years and haven't won much either. Closest Rugby have got to winning anything 'Major' was in 1990 when they were knocked out in the Semi-Final of the Challenge Cup with a try that never should of been.

Come On Latics & Roughyeds!

Rugby holds no sway with me, but my father likes rugby (not Oldham) and says football is for wimps! *sigh*

I suppose all sports teams suffer in one way or another if they don't have somebody bankrolling them, large followings or are just simply awful at what they do.

Thank God for the Latics. :)

Mark posted pretty close to the true happenings but I'll clear a few more things up.

When Latics had money problems in the mid 90's the council bought BP with Latics being the main tenants , ORLFC were already playing most of their games at BP. The council spent £250k on a state of the art pitch (at the time) which could cope with football and rugby being played all year round, when Chris Moore took over Latics he also took over the running of the ground, he offered to buy ORLFC a number of times yet Chris Hamilton turned him down, ORLFC soon found out that the rent was put up to a level they couldn't afford, hence the rugby moved and Moore got his hands on a state of the art pitch which was meant for both sports.

You could say "why do Latics fans always slag off the Yeds" It's something that as long as I can ever remember as always been as people like RL, some like Football.

most Yeds fans believe Latics shafted them and I agree, but this was the old board.

This is what I believe happended.......... anyone confirm.

your example though is one person, I know many who support both, more though who support Latics and 'other' RL teams mostly in Super League. RL as suffered more than football with Sky

This was around the Chris M**** era. The costs of the Rugby being at BP didn't add up. They weren't getting anywhere near enough for their rent or to pay even for the stewarding. CM offered Hamilton £50,000 as a loan. Hamilton claimed it was a back door way to buy the club. Nobody will ever know. In the end, CM put the price at what it should be for the Rugby to play at BP....and Hamilton milked it and claimed the Yeds were being knifed in the back. I'm not one to stick up for the scum that is CM but where the Yeds were concerned, he was within his right IMO. By the way, let's not forget that when Latics bought the ground back they also paid up the previous unpaid rent holidays. Latics money...not Yeds money. Yeds had (and still have) little right to complain IMO until they get the crowds to pay their way. Or a backer like TTA to assist them in their way. I wish them well though and want to see them promoted. Got to several games last season...not made any this season. I should do now I'm living in Oldham now though.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I use to hate the roughyeds purely because it was rugby and found it boring, yet that was when i was younger, i now love both sports and plan to attend a few games next year with the roughyeds (was gonna do this year, but ended up working abroad)

COME ON LATICS AND 'YEDS!!!!!!!!

I use to hate the roughyeds purely because it was rugby and found it boring, yet that was when i was younger, i now love both sports and plan to attend a few games next year with the roughyeds (was gonna do this year, but ended up working abroad)

COME ON LATICS AND 'YEDS!!!!!!!!

But really hand on heart as a summer game it really is crap ?