Man City Been Sold

14.27 Mark Hughes has confirmed to Sky Sports News that Manchester City have had a bid for Tottenham striker Dimitar Berbatov accepted, and he now hopes to meet the striker to discuss a shock move to Eastlands.

The BBC are joining in now

1430: The latest from Man City - and I have to say that they are fast becoming the club of the day. BBC Sport understands that a £30m bid has indeed been made for Dimitar Berbatov, while the club are in talks with Valencia's David Villa and Stuttgart's Mario Gomez.

This is getting silly! :grin:

BP1960 @ Sep 1 2008, 16:24 PM)

I wonder what the £20 a week maximum footballers wage would be now if hadn't been abolished in 1961...can someone work it out on an inflation basis ?

£317 per week.

Now thats more sensible, fans can identify with that. :)

This time I very much doubt it. The likes of these Arabs don't mess about.

This is bad news for clubs like ours all round-a successful City, playing in top class surroundings, would sweep up many floating fans in surrounding towns and attract a whole new generation of young supporters.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF they do become a major force then yes it has to be detrimental to an extent but probably not catastrophically so. They can only fit in so many into 'their' stadium and methinks the laws of supply&demand will start kicking in next season - watch out for their ticket prices heading significantly northwards.

Citeh fans will be pleased as punch to see their team do well but if the ticket prices go up (and if they do well they are surely to do so) many will be priced out of going. Citeh doesn't have all that large a fan base outside of Manchester (at the mo) and they are probably more working class than United fans. Every club has its tightwads and it does seem to me that Citeh has more than its fair share, if they can't afford to go (or are unwilling to pay the price asked) I can see some going elsewhere to watch their football (and back in the day a fair few used to come watch Oldham), we may benefit from this.

Also what we could well benefit from is the influx of highly paid superstars may mean than some youngsters/reserves will be displaced down the pecking order to where they can go on loan. Given that we are the nearest club to Citeh (probably) and are rumoured to have some sort of loan agreement with them we could pick up some good quality players this way. Citeh's transfer policy looks like it might be similar to Chelsea's whereby they would much rather pay for talent than make their own (who was the last Chelsea youngster to come thorugh their system to the first team- probably John Terry) and there could be some talent we could pick up.

However all the bad points already mentioned still stand. Just every cloud an all

If nothing else it will push the price up, with Spurs benefitting as ManUre's debt increases.

Noel Gallagher added: "I'm also pleased we've managed to swindle Man United out of a few bob as they've had to pay over the odds for Berbatov."

"It'll be nice to know that every gallon of petrol a Manchester United fan buys is going into our kitty."

The trouble is that my petrol money is as well! :disappointed: