Time to put a stop to these massive transfer fees!

Of course it can: United did under Busby; Liverpool did under Shankly; Leeds under Revie. All of these were once far from what they became.

You could even say that we did it for a time in the glory years.

And under a certain other manager aswell. Was it 28 years without winning the league? God I hate Taggart :angry::(

They're not actually going to bid this amount. Can't any of you see what's going on? They're merely having a laugh at United's expense, now that they can.

What's happened in the last few days has obviously been brewing for weeks. That's why, despite the media recently being full of stuff about City going out of business due to Shinawatra's problems, they continued to spend tens of millions. Yesterday's signing was the one big name that, several weeks ago, their new Exec. Chairman said the club wanted to make to fill COMS this season. As somebody said on the radio earlier, it doesn't even matter whether he's a success or not when, should they choose, they could buy thirty players at £100 million each and it still wouldn't significantly dent the coffers.

All this widens the gulf between the Premier League's money clubs and the rest even further, and, as far as we are concerned, is a disaster, due to our close proximity to City and the potential impact on our next generation of fans.

Exactly!!!!! So back to my original question. What are we going to do to put an end to this lunacy..... I am still very, very angry!!!!!!

Exactly!!!!! So back to my original question. What are we going to do to put an end to this lunacy..... I am still very, very angry!!!!!!

Nothing. Let them break away to form their European Super League, with their licenses - and let us continue to support Saturday afternoon 15:00 K.O, meat and tater pie, Bovril slurping footy that I used to enjoy so much. I'm sick to the back teeth with the the Football League trying to hang on to the shirt tails of the Premiership. Let them go, let them attract fans who want to pay £40+ for 90mins of football.

Nothing. Let them break away to form their European Super League, with their licenses - and let us continue to support Saturday afternoon 15:00 K.O, meat and tater pie, Bovril slurping footy that I used to enjoy so much. I'm sick to the back teeth with the the Football League trying to hang on to the shirt tails of the Premiership. Let them go, let them attract fans who want to pay £40+ for 90mins of football.

I agree with what the fan of the non-relegation rugby european superleague said.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

but if they filled their stadium with the team they had under Keegan, they can certainly do it with the kind of quaity that looks like is coming. If you take into account the heavily boosted profile and the fact that they'll almost certainly win something, if only an FA Cup, how can this not affect our fanbase-and that of other smaller local clubs-particularly when it comes to the kids?

You've answered your own question - they have a finite number of seats and have filled it in the past yet still left enough fans for us to get by with. I don't suppose the new owners are doing this because they are lifelong supporters of the circus club either, it isn't going to be cheap there if they genuinely do buy anything like what they are saying they want. They will be hoping to have a stadium half full of rich Arabs, Singaporeans and so on, which if anything could turn New Moston towards us. :unsure:

There is nothing we can do to stop these inflated fees, the Ronaldo fee is just trash talk, there is no way on earth they'll sell him to City, United fans would rather see him at Madrid first. All these fees has lead to inflated wages and we see the effect to the point where we cant afford to bring players in. We have to keep hanging on to the Premier Leagues tail because we need every penny of the pittance they allow us.

I certainly believe that we have to be in the Championship soon, as the day will come where they(PL) will want to restrict promotion from league 1, you look at the other major European footballing countries, they only have two tier leagues.

And the Championship is bigger than most first divisions in Europe, I think all bar Germany, Italy, Spain and France, so it's not really comparing like for like.

With my big stat hat on I can tell you you've missed out our reefer madness friends in the NL. Plus Germany's 2nd tier is also a smidgeon higher in the average crowd stakes. Still, 7th biggest 'division' in Europe aint bad.

With my big stat hat on I can tell you you've missed out our reefer madness friends in the NL. Plus Germany's 2nd tier is also a smidgeon higher in the average crowd stakes. Still, 7th biggest 'division' in Europe aint bad.

oops - 8th biggest! I'd forgotten to count in everyones favourite, the EPL - whatever that is.

They're not actually going to bid this amount. Can't any of you see what's going on? They're merely having a laugh at United's expense, now that they can.

What's happened in the last few days has obviously been brewing for weeks. That's why, despite the media recently being full of stuff about City going out of business due to Shinawatra's problems, they continued to spend tens of millions. Yesterday's signing was the one big name that, several weeks ago, their new Exec. Chairman said the club wanted to make to fill COMS this season. As somebody said on the radio earlier, it doesn't even matter whether he's a success or not when, should they choose, they could buy thirty players at £100 million each and it still wouldn't significantly dent the coffers.

All this widens the gulf between the Premier League's money clubs and the rest even further, and, as far as we are concerned, is a disaster, due to our close proximity to City and the potential impact on our next generation of fans.

Agree with you on the sense that this must have been going on on the quiet for quite sometime.

What I will disagree with you on is the effect on us the effect is not even slightly disastourous City's fan base will grow but outside of Greater Manchester and in particularly outside the UK. Not only that but we already have that many clubs on our doorstep just one doing better won't have that much effect City already have such a large fanbase locally so I can't see that changing, its not like an entirely new club has relocated right on our doorstep.

Not sure if there is anything teams like Oldham can do to stop transfer fees at the uber-star level becoming bigger than their current level. Bearing in mind the world record transfer fee is still held by someone who has since retired (and the bloke in 2nd can't be too far off retiring either). However in football careers can still be ended in an instant (as can lives) and it would only take one mega-million star for this to happen to for insurance companies to start denying insurance (or to charge prohibitively more) and the fees would come down again. (Especially if the policy was invalidated somehow). Not every club has the potential (even with all the money in the world thrown at it) to break into Champions League football (especially in this country) and there are only so many places at the top table and it might come down to a more money contest which United wouldn't win. Top level professional players want to win and a lot won't move from a top 4 team to a top 6 team for more money unless they feel they have achieved all they can achieve at the team they are at. (Like Man U may start losing some of their talent not for money but because they've done all they can do at Man U- win the Champs League- and although the prize is the same elsewhere the journey to it and therefore the challenge is different).

I get the impression that the new blokes at Citeh are using them like a loss-leader in the supermarket, they're making a loss on City but are using them to promote their country and hoping to get the money back in the end (like a really, really expensive advert) and only certain people can do that (their Dubai 'cousins' for one but that's all i can think of). Billionaires like Abhramovic may have enough money to buy teams success but they aren't going to get that money back and they may eventually say 'No I could afford that, but its too expensive for what I'm going to get.' Plus when you get tired of your toy (and Abrahmovic could well get tired of Chelsea now there's a bigger wallet in play) they won't be looking to put more money into it, they will be looking to sell.

I agree with what the fan of the non-relegation rugby european superleague said.

Quite, however rugby league was on it's mud sodden backside before the mid 90's when it was transformed into European rugby league revolving around the Super League. Yes, the ESL has had it's mad moments, but I think they've got it right in the end. And I'll never forget how bloody poor rugby league was prior to all the divisional tweaks and rule changes. Tackle counts, 40-20's etc etc...

This is I'm going waaaaay off topic, sorry guys.

Agree with you on the sense that this must have been going on on the quiet for quite sometime.

What I will disagree with you on is the effect on us the effect is not even slightly disastourous City's fan base will grow but outside of Greater Manchester and in particularly outside the UK. Not only that but we already have that many clubs on our doorstep just one doing better won't have that much effect City already have such a large fanbase locally so I can't see that changing, its not like an entirely new club has relocated right on our doorstep.

I'm unconvinced, particularly when looking at the numbers in and around the Oldham area who, while they might claim an affection for Latics, would say that City (or United) are their club. If these kind of people are going to spend money on football, it is going to be on world class football, possibly at COMS, too, now, not just at Old Trafford. At best they are likely to remain largely passive towards Latics while glueing themselves to Sky to watch their heoroes in sky blue (or red). Disastrously for Latics, their kids will happily emulate them. This is the reality.

I also recall the days when, for a big game in the cup, or an important league game such City and United fans turned up in droves at BP. To a certain extent this still happens. It was hard enough then, in the days of cheap admission, to keep them regularly attending; how much more so now, with the prospect of not one Champions League side on our doorstep, but two? Similarly, in our glory years many among our heavily boosted support were these same people. I recall people moaning in the BTB and Mouldy Old Dough fanzines about how many of the 'City fans' who turned up at BP during their third-tier season were 'Latics fans' during the early nineties.

Nor do I accept that the 48000 capacity at COMS will necessarily put a ceiling on their support. If the Arabs are as serious as they appear to be, there's easily scope to increase capacity to 60000-plus, a figure that City regularly used to manage for big games in their heyday.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

The trouble (?) with this Adu Dhabi thing is that the money it costs to run a football club is probably less than they lose each year in depreciation on the cars they own.

They might be businessmen, but they may just look at it as a trinket that they can afford to sepnd silly money on so that they can have a bit of fun. They've got over £500 billion to back it up, so losing a billion on City is hardly gonna cause a tremble.

The trouble (?) with this Adu Dhabi thing is that the money it costs to run a football club is probably less than they lose each year in depreciation on the cars they own.

They might be businessmen, but they may just look at it as a trinket that they can afford to sepnd silly money on so that they can have a bit of fun. They've got over £500 billion to back it up, so losing a billion on City is hardly gonna cause a tremble.

it's bad for football ,alienating the likes of oldham athletic to compete in the englishleagues at the highest levels...most of the premiership clubs are now owned by wealthy buisnessmen[not knocking the three amigo's here] they are prudent with our club... it isn't about the real fans anymore..the ones that stand or in our case sit and shut yer gobs,it's about the worlds richest men on ego trips...and that's wrong .....

I hope to see a cap brought in soon. not a transfer fee cap, but a transfer budget cap. if it was said a team could only spend £50 million in a transfer window, and, along with a wage cap, we could potentially see more loyalty among players. clubs would have to wheel and deal much more, and the transfer window would become interesting again, because city couldnt just chuck a hundred million quid at united for ronaldo, or 30 odd million at real. clubs like stoke and hull would also find it easier to compete.

it will never happen though. the powers that be wont let it due to greed

I hope to see a cap brought in soon. not a transfer fee cap, but a transfer budget cap. if it was said a team could only spend £50 million in a transfer window, and, along with a wage cap, we could potentially see more loyalty among players. clubs would have to wheel and deal much more, and the transfer window would become interesting again, because city couldnt just chuck a hundred million quid at united for ronaldo, or 30 odd million at real. clubs like stoke and hull would also find it easier to compete.

it will never happen though. the powers that be wont let it due to greed

Manufacturers of brown paper envelopes would be dancing in the streets, that's for sure. There's always ways around it.