who did Latics play the day you were born?

2nd Round FA Cup? Latics lost 1st Round at Wrexham 4-2. Must have been a free weekend off.

It really got me thinking, so I have been doing some more digging.

There were no Div 3 games that day - I had always thought that the famous Oldham weather may have been a contributing factor, but it seems there was a general "Saturday Off" for some obscure reason.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oa_exile
It really got me thinking, so I have been doing some more digging.

There were no Div 3 games that day - I had always thought that the famous Oldham weather may have been a contributing factor, but it seems there was a general "Saturday Off" for some obscure reason.

Not as obscure as you may think ^_^

I have just been troving through the fixture lists for season's before and after and funnily enough it was not un-common to have no fixtures at the beginning of December int owd days (early and middle sixties)........... :huh:

Not as obscure as you may think ^_^

I have just been troving through the fixture lists for season's before and after and funnily enough it was not un-common to have no fixtures at the beginning of December int owd days (early and middle sixties)........... :huh:

So this idea of a winter break is not exactly "new" then? :huh:

Guest oa_exile
So this idea of a winter break is not exactly "new" then? :huh:

Well either that or it was FA Cup 2nd & 3rd rounds around then (as Bertie quoted).

He is probably right because we were really crap in those days :lol::lol::lol:

I was born in May 1954. In the final match of that season on April 29th we lost 4-0 nil to Everton. That was our third 4-0 defeat that season in the old division 2. We were also on the wrong end of a 7-0 and an 8-0 in the league that same season!

In fact we only won three matches all season. But one of them was Leeds.

:cardinal:

I was born in May 1954. In the final match of that season on April 29th we lost 4-0 nil to Everton. That was our third 4-0 defeat that season in the old division 2. We were also on the wrong end of a 7-0 and an 8-0 in the league that same season!

In fact we only won three matches all season. But one of them was Leeds.

:cardinal:

Just one? What a bad season.

Born 15 March 1953 - nearest match was the day before. Lost at home to Carlisle 4-2 . Crowd of 20,937 in season we won Div 3 North.

But my "Latics birthday" - first match- was 17 Sept 1960 - lost to Millwall at home 3-2 in Div 4. 48th anniversary coming up!

Edited by LaticsPete

This thread makes me feel old. I was at half of the games mentioned, as I'm sure were quite a few others.

Without looking I think mine (16th Jan, 1976) was Blackpool at home. My dad's amusing anecdote is he was walking up Sheepfoot Lane to see me and my mum with a massive bunch of flowers and had thousands of fans taking the piss out of him walking the other way. I'm sure he said we were playing Blackpool.

Guest oa_exile
This thread makes me feel old. I was at half of the games mentioned, as I'm sure were quite a few others.

Without looking I think mine (15th Jan, 1976) was Blackpool at home. My dad's amusing anecdote is he was walking up Sheepfoot Lane to see me and my mum with a massive bunch of flowers and had thousands of fans taking the piss out of him walking the other way. I'm sure he said we were playing Blackpool.