who did Latics play the day you were born?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was born in May 1954. In the final match of that season on April 29th we lost 4-0 nil to Everton.

I was at that match. Official crowd 30,072 but many Everton fans climbed over the walls to get in and there was a sizeable Everton contingent on the spare ground behind the RRE,

If Everton had not won, Blackburn would have been promoted instead. The Blackburn players were present at BP. All the goals were conceded in the first half by George Burnett, ex-Everton keeper. In the second half he played a blinder - the cynics said that his mind was on his bank balance in the first half.

Guest oa_exile
It was the 17th of Jan, 1976 and it was Blackpool at home according to Soccerbase. I was born on a Friday.

You are right I was looking at the 76-77 season :blush: and add a :clown: to that as well.

Funnily enough though the year after Jan 15th 1977 we did play the Lashers and again won 1:0.

The playing the Lashers bit thro me :unsure:

Guest oa_exile
Born on Satuday 4th April 1981 Oldham Royal.

Away at Deepdale,

Preston North End 1 Oldham Athletic 2

Any ideas where I would find the scorers?

Wylde , Atkinson

ATT: 6154

Now what is your address and mothers maiden name and I'll just go and apply for some credit cards :wink:

I was born in July 1980. Soccerbase gives the first match of the season as a League cup match where we lost the first leg 1-0 away to Pompey, but there is no date. 1st league game of the season is a 1-0 home win against QPR. :bblue2:

When I was five days old the season began with a 3-1 defeat at Bury in front of a crowd of 1,575. Times were hard - there was a war on, and I had a 'Mickey Mouse' gas mask.

A04036_m.jpg

Hang on Walt Disney wasn't even born until 1901, that's 45 years AFTER the Crimean War ended. How can you have had a Mickey Mouse gas mask?

The first game that occurred after i was born we drew 2-2 with Birmingham City on 4/4/87 in the old division 2.

Christ, I feel old, I went to that one! We were winning 2-1 after a late Tony Henry penalty on an incredibly windy day at BP (shock-horror) Brum got a last-minute corner that blew over bounced off Linighan's head into the roof of the net, gutted!

4th May 1991 I think We Got Beat Away At Notts County 2-0

Feel even older now, Lee. Was at that one too. We'd clinched promotion the week before and thousands of Latics fans were there creating a real carnival atmosphere, there were nuns, gorillas, Roman legionaries, scooby doos, darth vaders everywhere, great day even though we played :censored:e and lost 2-0, although our nemesis Tommy Johnson scored a wonderful diving header for the second. AND Meadow Lane was a real :censored:-hole back then!

Feel even older now, Lee. Was at that one too. We'd clinched promotion the week before and thousands of Latics fans were there creating a real carnival atmosphere, there were nuns, gorillas, Roman legionaries, scooby doos, darth vaders everywhere, great day even though we played :censored:e and lost 2-0, although our nemesis Tommy Johnson scored a wonderful diving header for the second. AND Meadow Lane was a real :censored:-hole back then!

At Least I Was Born During A Promotion Campaign :D Lol

Guest oa_exile
Now what is your address and mothers maiden name and I'll just go and apply for some credit cards :wink:

I was born in July 1980. Soccerbase gives the first match of the season as a League cup match where we lost the first leg 1-0 away to Pompey, but there is no date. 1st league game of the season is a 1-0 home win against QPR. :bblue2:

Sept 2nd (2nd Leg) we lost 1:0 away to Pompey, the 1st leg was on Aug 26th we won 3:2

We then went out on the away goals rule.

What a great day that was....apart from the performance and result.

268745225_a32b348c90.jpg

268745221_d510487314.jpg

444831727_788d288694.jpg

444831725_c1b4f614e6.jpg

444831729_ac0b368f11.jpg

444831731_b26c24ec77_b.jpg