ressies tonight

The Ressies lost 3-1 against Derby at Alfreton.

http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co.uk/...1384110,00.html

The pitch was saturated and had some surface water after a downpour before kick-off, so it was not a night for knocking the ball about with any reliabilty from the playing surface.

Derby players were generally better than ours, and we conceded early goals in both halves. We were very lightweight up front with Eaves and Brooke. Stephens hit the bar with a good shot from outside the area and then hit it again with a lob from about the same distance. Little Bembo-Leta came on as sub and whipped in a low cross which Eaves managed to put away after the keeper had parried it.

Thompson (captain) had a good game and covered every blade of grass. Kalala would not have impressed if he had been on trial. Byrne, who was subbed after about 75 minutes, did not have the variety in his game that Lomax has. Kieran Lee was not very effective.

The young Esdaile Biney (?) looked impressive during his short time on the pitch. He is a big lad, who made his presence felt and he is very vocal - an old head on young shoulders, and possibly the new Trotman. Chalmers and the other young lads worked hard.

Overall it was a good workout for our underdogs against a Derby side which looked impressive at times.

The Ressies lost 3-1 against Derby at Alfreton.

http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co.uk/...1384110,00.html

The pitch was saturated and had some surface water after a downpour before kick-off, so it was not a night for knocking the ball about with any reliabilty from the playing surface.

Derby players were generally better than ours, and we conceded early goals in both halves. We were very lightweight up front with Eaves and Brooke. Stephens hit the bar with a good shot from outside the area and then hit it again with a lob from about the same distance. Little Bembo-Leta came on as sub and whipped in a low cross which Eaves managed to put away after the keeper had parried it.

Thompson (captain) had a good game and covered every blade of grass. Kalala would not have impressed if he had been on trial. Byrne, who was subbed after about 75 minutes, did not have the variety in his game that Lomax has. Kieran Lee was not very effective.

The young Esdaile Biney (?) looked impressive during his short time on the pitch. He is a big lad, who made his presence felt and he is very vocal - an old head on young shoulders, and possibly the new Trotman. Chalmers and the other young lads worked hard.

Overall it was a good workout for our underdogs against a Derby side which looked impressive at times.

agree with most of this but i thought lee did well,thought he and thompson best two by far tonight,thanks for the directions earlier too.

Cheers D_S.

Of the young lads, who would be your overall stand-out this season? The OS has quoted Dux saying he thought Chris Rowney was the best player in the game; Latics wise, you agree?

Chalmers & Black have been the most recent break-throughs from the yoofs - who do you & seasoned watchers like BP1960 think will be next?

And finally, does anyone have any news on the young ex-Man Ure lad we've signed; David Williams? Where he at fitness wise, as when we bagged him, some said he would be pushing for the 1st X1 by Xmas if fitness & head were both sorted??

Thanks

Edited by slystallone

Cheers D_S.

Of the young lads, who would be your overall stand-out this season? The OS has quoted Dux saying he thought Chris Rowney was the best player in the game; Latics wise, you agree?

Chalmers & Black have been the most recent break-throughs from the yoofs - who do you & seasoned watchers like BP1960 think will be next?

And finally, does anyone have any news on the young ex-Man Ure lad we've signed; David Williams? Where he at fitness wise, as when we bagged him, some said he would be pushing for the 1st X1 by Xmas if fitness & head were both sorted??

Thanks

Thanks, I will be checking out the Latics youngsters soon and let you all know my thoughts on them.

I do know a Premiership club is currently tracking one of them.

Edited by BP1960

The young lad Eaves looks handy. Played in the reserves while still a school boy last year and has played a part this season. Has a Porter look about him and his style of play reminds me a lot of him too. Certainly got something to work with there I think.

I'll let Mark McGhee know :D

Cheers D_S.

Thanks

Chris Rowney had a decent game against superior opposition, but as the Derby players were able to knock the ball about with comparative ease on a treacherous pitch with some surface water, it was difficult for any of our youngsters to stand out. Kieran Lee has looked more effective to me on dryer surfaces.

However, for the short time he was on the pitch, I was really impressed with Esdaile-Biney. I saw him also pre-season at Ashton. He must be only 17 at the most but, as I said above, he is a big lad and a good talker, for which Shez has been crying out. He was fearless and left the Derby players in no doubt when they'd been tackled. He looks like a cross between Rio Ferdinand and Wes Brown (not yellow man), but plays like say a young Gregan or a vocal Trotman. I would stick my neck out and say he's the next big thing among our youngsters. He'll provide useful income from shirt name sales - give us an E, give us and S ....... :grin:

The young lad Eaves looks handy. Played in the reserves while still a school boy last year and has played a part this season. Has a Porter look about him and his style of play reminds me a lot of him too. Certainly got something to work with there I think.

I thought he looked like Neil Tolson who used to play for us and who I always thought could have done big things if we'd kept him. Oafc_ok said he had a look of Chris Porter. He appeared cumbersome moving forward, but again the treacherous surface did not help. I agree there is something to work with.

My biggest reservation with young Tom is his speed, or lack of injection of pace. Still he's very young yet.

That's why he reminded me of Porter :wink:

No, just his overall build and the way he finds himself in the right spot in the box much of the time.

How did Bembo-Leta do? Seems to get a lot of the ball in his 20 minute sub appearances but not had many if any starts at all.

He's small and it wasn't the best of surfaces for his 'twinkle toes'. He did well to whip the ball across low for the goal.

Am i right in think it's Bemba-Leta who is the lad being tracked by Prem league clubs that BP1960 alluded too. Seem to remember in the press that it was mooted that Chelski & Man Ure were sniffing & potentially lining up a package to take him from us.

I saw his cameo at Ashton, he looks pacey as anything - kinda of a look of S.Wright Philips about him too in terms of his size & build.

On the OS there a story about the young N.I lad; McGrath getting called up to the N.I U-17's squad - has anyone seen this lad play - i've heard he's left footed; so there's something to work on for a start as we aren't exactly blessed in that department!!

Am i right in think it's Bemba-Leta who is the lad being tracked by Prem league clubs that BP1960 alluded too. Seem to remember in the press that it was mooted that Chelski & Man Ure were sniffing & potentially lining up a package to take him from us.

It was mentioned in a couple of papers a few months ago. Seen him a few times last season and once this. Very, very quick but seems to be up front a lot of the time and at present isn't the biggest of players! Can see him being a good wide player. Be interesting to see how it all pans out with this lad.

Guest oa_exile

That was about a year + ago , but as BP1960 pointed out the scouts will be checking his progress.