the moat

not sure if ive aired this on here before so sorry if i have. i believe 'the moat' causes more 'trouble' than it stops, for the simple reason that it prevents the supporters reaching each other. i understand why it was put there, it was built when we punched above our weight in all aspects. but as has been said before most grounds have a bit of plastic and a plastic copper, which is easily breached by anyone intent on doing so but very rarely occurs. we have the moat which protects the spotty 15 year old who wants to 'charge the away fans' full in the knowledge they have zero chance of doing so, but they (believe they) look hard in front of their mates. i think this is being blown out of all proportion if fans leaning over a fence waving their arms is 'trouble'. but the fact they dont get put on their backside doesnt put them back in their box and then they get braver and chuck a coin. meshing probably wont stop it. its a fine line, i say. a fine line. will stop eventually when the coppers have a few tapes of them leaning over a fence with an angry look on their face, and can apply for a banning order.

It's an interesting point - all the evidence of the last decade and more is that the more you fence or block people in the more they confront the barriers. I suspect the problem is that it would need a lot more stewarding and policing without a physical divide so that they were able to deal with it if it did still go off, and they would have to be much stronger in throwing out and banning people who did throw things or charge to act as a greater deterrent. Likewise, if they put a net up, some people will see it as a free license to throw whatever they want, which is still hardly safe and likely to lead to more trouble outside.

I think if the numpties could not see the away fans and vice versa there would be less trouble. We could increase the moat walls, not too high so it restrics the view (although in some matches that might be a bonus)

The chanting could still be heard but all that bravado shown by both sets of supporters might be reduced.

I think if the numpties could not see the away fans and vice versa there would be less trouble. We could increase the moat walls, not too high so it restrics the view (although in some matches that might be a bonus)

The chanting could still be heard but all that bravado shown by both sets of supporters might be reduced.

If you raised it so they cant see the away fans then the away fans would not be able to see parts of the pitch so that wouldnt work! Although at Burnden Park they didnt mind a supermarket blocking your view!!

I know what the numptiies' response would be:

We don't need no education

We dont need no thought control

No dark sarcasm in the classroom

Teachers leave them kids alone

Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!

All in all it's just another brick in the wall.

All in all you're just another brick in the wall.

If you raised it so they cant see the away fans then the away fans would not be able to see parts of the pitch so that wouldnt work! Although at Burnden Park they didnt mind a supermarket blocking your view!!

Thats true.....

And if Numpties brother came 'Humpty Numpty' there would be lots of H&S issues. :grin:

I know what the numptiies' response would be:

We don't need no education

We dont need no thought control

No dark sarcasm in the classroom

Teachers leave them kids alone

Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!

All in all it's just another brick in the wall.

All in all you're just another brick in the wall.

I suppose there's a chance they'd respond with that.

But if you ask them who wrote it, they'd probably say the Scissor Sisters... :blink:

On a serious note I think this will die down quite abit once the novelty of being close to the away fans has worn off. I think most of us didn't really see the problems that knocking the Broadway stand has caused. Once the redevelopment is complete and once we get an idea of where different segments of the crowd are going to sit its should all return to normal.

Guest oa_exile
On a serious note I think this will die down quite abit once the novelty of being close to the away fans has worn off. I think most of us didn't really see the problems that knocking the Broadway stand has caused. Once the redevelopment is complete and once we get an idea of where different segments of the crowd are going to sit its should all return to normal.

That will be a while and I mean a while.

no way higher fence. that would stop all the banter, and reduce the atmosphere. its no coinkidink that that has improved, this is just a consequence. for me its a definate case of novely and boundary pushing. which will subside over time after more ejections, stiff talkings to outside afterwards, and a few bans. shame about the netting, especially as i believe it wont make much difference. someone will probably rip some up and get banned for it!

not sure if ive aired this on here before so sorry if i have. i believe 'the moat' causes more 'trouble' than it stops, for the simple reason that it prevents the supporters reaching each other. i understand why it was put there, it was built when we punched above our weight in all aspects. but as has been said before most grounds have a bit of plastic and a plastic copper, which is easily breached by anyone intent on doing so but very rarely occurs. we have the moat which protects the spotty 15 year old who wants to 'charge the away fans' full in the knowledge they have zero chance of doing so, but they (believe they) look hard in front of their mates. i think this is being blown out of all proportion if fans leaning over a fence waving their arms is 'trouble'. but the fact they dont get put on their backside doesnt put them back in their box and then they get braver and chuck a coin. meshing probably wont stop it. its a fine line, i say. a fine line. will stop eventually when the coppers have a few tapes of them leaning over a fence with an angry look on their face, and can apply for a banning order.

Was thinking this when i was sat at Leeds r8 next to the SUPER LEEDS FANS! I could have quite easily gone straight into the Leeds section if i wanted. I Like a bit of banter between fans but it felt asif there was no point taking it to far and making threats like some do because you could quite easily carry out you threats when there is only mesh.

Its easy for them to shout threats and throw stuff when there is a big moat in between and you know no1 is going to get you.

I think the next time some, swearing, idiotic, stupid, braindead, spotty 16 year old chav, decides to charge the away fans giving it large... the stewards should just say "ok sonny...." and lead them round the barrier to the away fans section, and just throw them in.... see what happens, we should invite millwall back just for the hell of it....

Be like Roman times... except throwing a Chav to the Lions... :wink:

On a serious note... its amazing how hard people are with a barrier in between them... I just reckon it wont be long until someone gets a right smacking outside of the ground after being 'spotted' for ther antics....... 'udders are cappable of that, be interesting to see how the smaller section changes the dynamic....

Guest oa_exile
Its easy for them to shout threats and throw stuff when there is a big moat in between and you know no1 is going to get you.

.......until you get outside when they come hunting for you :blink:

I saw the Chelsea v Spurs game on MOD. Now these two sides are arch enemies, and Chelsea fans have a name for hooliganism. All that devided the fans, was one seat with a steward sat in it from front to back.