SMS - Byrne Signs - and in squad today!

what are they dithering over? either sign him or not,whats the problem.

He might not want to sign. He may be waiting for a contract in Holland, and a month keeps his options open. If he can play centre half as well, we may need him at Tranmere today when they go route 1.

what are they dithering over? either sign him or not,whats the problem.

:blink:

Errr... they have?

Giving a guy you have barely seen play a months contract to see if he is any good, is a bloody good move in my eyes... you wnat another JP or Thompson on our hands for two years??

On the other hand he could be the next ruuubes - 1 month is easy enough time to make a decision...

The Advertiser is confused about Byrne's nationality.

Scotsman signs on

Gavin Browne

8/ 9/2008

JOHN Sheridan has added to his Oldham Athletic squad by signing former Aberdeen defender Richie Byrne on a month’s contract.

The 26-year-old Irishman agreed terms on Friday before being named on the bench 24 hours later as Athletic won 1-0 at Tranmere Rovers.

Having impressed while on trial at Boundary Park, Byrne was handed a short-term deal by Sheridan who challenged him to oust Kelvin Lomax from the left-back position.

Sheridan said: "We've had a look at him and I like what I've seen. He can play left-back and centre-back, he's a very good addition and hopefully we can try and give him some football.

"Kelvin's playing there and playing well but I don't want him getting in a comfort zone, I want him (Byrne) to push other people in the team."

Byrne, who has been capped at B level by the Republic of Ireland, played for Shamrock Rovers and Dunfermline Athletic before joining Aberdeen in 2005. He made 59 appearances at Pittodrie, playing a part in a UEFA Cup campaign, before departing the club last summer.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns