Setanta rant!

I might be wrong, but I seem to the recall the Setanta money being peanuts compared to the SKY money and overseas TV money that the Prem clubs get...

I might be wrong, but I believe it to be around £400m out of a £1.7m total.

If you lost a quarter of your income, it would affect the way you spend (unless you are HM Government).

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It annoyed me at first but then again Sky's monopoly of live premiership football has gone on far too long. Nobody should be blaming setanta for this situation, the people running the money making scam the 'Premier League' has become and the weak men in suits at the FA who enabled it are to blame.

I don't subscribe to either, I watch whatever game I like for free though (but i'm not allowed to say how).

• 1 month later...
I'm torn. On the one hand, I don't like Setanta because it's expensive and the service is poor (which is why I've never subscribed) but, on the other, it's yet another competitor beaten into submission by Murdoch.

I'm with you Steve. Can't stand NewsCorp. They're pure evil. But that said if you're as inept as Setanta and ITV are at providing an alternative then you can't even blam Murdoch and his monkies.

I'm with you Steve. Can't stand NewsCorp. They're pure evil. But that said if you're as inept as Setanta and ITV are at providing an alternative then you can't even blam Murdoch and his monkies.

I've changed my mind after this:

BSkyB's chief executive, Jeremy Darroch, said that his firm had been "talking to Setanta, and trying to work with them and help them", but that it could not agree to the proposal. "At the end of the day, we are not a bank, we are a broadcaster, not a supplier of working capital to a business and rights holder," he said.

"Our job is not to fund other companies. This is a huge amount of money."

Try telling ITV that mr 17%!!!

I told you they were scum!! :ranting:

Guest sheridans_world

Sky cant take all of setanta's matches though, i believe of the two "bundles" setanta have, sky are allowed a maximum of one more, it was a european monopolies/competition ruling doo-dah.

Apparently disney with their channel ESPN are in the lead for the bundles??

Sky cant take all of setanta's matches though, i believe of the two "bundles" setanta have, sky are allowed a maximum of one more, it was a european monopolies/competition ruling doo-dah.

Apparently disney with their channel ESPN are in the lead for the bundles??

I was just pointing out the irony of Sky not being able to bankroll a company when that's what they tried to do to control ITV's rise against them in the past.

Guest sheridans_world
I was just pointing out the irony of Sky not being able to bankroll a company when that's what they tried to do to control ITV's rise against them in the past.

Oh yeah, I accept that.

As a sky subscriber I dont know whether it is good news or bad news about the bundles. I hope it doesnt mean the return of "prem plus" which I, like sultana, flatly refused to pay for.

• 2 weeks later...
Setanta payment deadline looming

Setanta has until the end of Friday to pay the reported £30m it owes the English Premier League, or risk losing its games for next season. The league has threatened to sell the rights to the 46 live matches Setanta is supposed to be showing in the 2009/2010 season to the highest bidder.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8108565.stm

Setanta loses Premier TV rights

Troubled pay-TV sports broadcaster Setanta has failed to pay the latest chunk of the £30m it owes the English Premier League - losing the rights. A potential rescue deal, led by a US investor who had proposed buying 51% of Setanta, had fallen through. The Board of Setanta said it would "consider its options over the weekend".

"In the meantime, Setanta's sports channels continue on air," it added.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8109954.stm

I read yesterday that Endemol are interested in buying out the rights and or Setanta. Can't put a link as I've forgotten where I read it.

Yeah, I heard the same I think it was on Monday - it's not going to happen. The BlueSQ teams will lose 70k - which is a substantial amount of money.

Yeah, I heard the same I think it was on Monday - it's not going to happen. The BlueSQ teams will lose 70k - which is a substantial amount of money.

Just like with ITV it will be the small teams who lose out. ESPN will pay the £30m for the Premierleague and they'll not even notice the difference!

Just like with ITV it will be the small teams who lose out. ESPN will pay the £30m for the Premierleague and they'll not even notice the difference!

By all accounts none of teh non-league teams (with even a grain of sense) have budgeted for the Setanta money.

Personally, I'm more worried about getting the baseball and College Football.

By all accounts none of teh non-league teams (with even a grain of sense) have budgeted for the Setanta money.

Personally, I'm more worried about getting the baseball and College Football.

ESPN has been showing Baseball all day on freeview!