Setanta rant!

Isn't ESPN shown on the back of Setanta (i.e. when one goes so does the other)?

NB. Please say no.

No.

ESPN is a huge organisation, owned by Walt and Mickey, while Sentanta is a waste of space tin pot organisation.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

ESPN is a huge organisation, owned by Walt and Mickey, while Sentanta is a waste of space tin pot organisation.

That ESPN channel is NASN, which was part of Setanta. Did ESPN buy it and just let Setanta keep it as part of there package?

College football and Baseball.....just download it for free ;)

ESPN, as expected, have purchased (I hate the way the media say won, as if they've not paid the Premiergreed a :censored: load for it!) the rights to the games previously owned by Setanta and will broadcast them via BSkyB and possibly Virgin Media in a similar deal to that of Setanta.

BBC Article

What It Means To You:

• ESPN's matches will be available on BSkyB
  • You will pay an extra amount for the ESPN matches
  • Games likely to be on a new branded ESPN channel - separate from the existing ESPN Classic and ESPN America
  • ESPN wants it on platforms other than BSkyB and is in talks with Virgin Media, though BT is yet to comment

I got setanta free through the BT vision so I've no financial worry about this. In actual fact I didn't watch that many of the games, watched more boxing than the footie but I think it is a shame that setanta appear to be going under. Sky needs the competition rather than being a monopoly on paper but actually has all the rights to every league/cup...etc.

I don't like giving Murdock money so chose not to have sky and there are millions of people who either think the same or just chose not to have satellite telly that are unable to see England games or footie in general. In theory anyone can bid for the games but in practice we have now seen both ITV digital and setanta fall by the wayside trying to compete with sky.

ESPN are a different kettle of fish and I really hope they make their packages available to virgin, bt and anyone else that carries tv content so that as wide an audience as possible can view them.

I got setanta free through the BT vision so I've no financial worry about this. In actual fact I didn't watch that many of the games, watched more boxing than the footie but I think it is a shame that setanta appear to be going under. Sky needs the competition rather than being a monopoly on paper but actually has all the rights to every league/cup...etc.

I don't like giving Murdock money so chose not to have sky and there are millions of people who either think the same or just chose not to have satellite telly that are unable to see England games or footie in general. In theory anyone can bid for the games but in practice we have now seen both ITV digital and setanta fall by the wayside trying to compete with sky.

ESPN are a different kettle of fish and I really hope they make their packages available to virgin, bt and anyone else that carries tv content so that as wide an audience as possible can view them.

I hate News Corp (owners of Fox, Sky and a million other companies) with a passion. Some of the things they have done would sicken Hitler, but they unavoidable. They're one of the biggest producers of entertainment content in the world and if you watch a show, even on BT, there's a pretty high chance of News Corp having taken a slice of that income.

So you have to either give up on a huge section of the entertainment industry or live with your hypocrasy. I do the latter. That said, ITV and Setanta tried to beat Sky in an awful way - at their own game! Setanta came along, bought a tiny portion of games and budgetted for millions upon millions of subscribers to balance the books. It was never going to happen and you can't even blame Sky for that one.

If the BBC gave up Jonathan 'crap TV show' Ross they could spend that on the rights to the games that ESPN now own... tell me that wouldn't be money well spent?

I hate News Corp (owners of Fox, Sky and a million other companies) with a passion. Some of the things they have done would sicken Hitler, but they unavoidable. They're one of the biggest producers of entertainment content in the world and if you watch a show, even on BT, there's a pretty high chance of News Corp having taken a slice of that income.

So you have to either give up on a huge section of the entertainment industry or live with your hypocrasy. I do the latter. That said, ITV and Setanta tried to beat Sky in an awful way - at their own game! Setanta came along, bought a tiny portion of games and budgetted for millions upon millions of subscribers to balance the books. It was never going to happen and you can't even blame Sky for that one.

If the BBC gave up Jonathan 'crap TV show' Ross they could spend that on the rights to the games that ESPN now own... tell me that wouldn't be money well spent?

The BBC won't spend millions just to show some football games that at least 50% of the population have very little/no interest in seeing. (Quite right too). If you look at when Setanta have shown their games (and when Sky show theirs), BBC have enough stuff to fill the schedule then so if you add regular football into the mix then fans of the likes of Dr. Who, Casualty, Eastenders and F1 would be up in arms as the stuff they want to see gets moved around to show some Premiership game that not many people care about. (I for one would much rather watch a Dr. Who episode than the likes of Blackburn v Sunderland). MOTD and the occassional England game (plus the world cup/europeans) is enough 'premiership/international' football for me. Plus, when you consider the Beeb has rights to the Coca-Cola League soon as well (I think) and it has in its charter that it will show the likes of Songs of Praise and Points of View it gets a bit difficult fitting in Premiergreed football. I'd much rather the Beeb spent its tax money making quality stuff like Top Gear, the David Attenborough stuff, Dr. Who etc. (stuff it makes money on by selling it abroad) than on the wages of some over priced nancy boys who spend more time diving than they do playing football. (I don't agree with what the amount they are paying Ross either- when they could get the same thing for cheaper, he isn't the only Chat Show host around)

• 2 weeks later...
ESPN ....sky in disguise?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8138992.stm

:mmm:

Nah, Even Media Corp can't get a hold of Disney - although I'd bet they've tried before now.

It's just a case of savig money for ESPN... it'd cost them more to hire production teams and so on than it would to just pay Sky to do it.

On the plus side I'll be able to get that and my NHL for £12 a month and knock SS1/2/3 on the head.

Nah, Even Media Corp can't get a hold of Disney - although I'd bet they've tried before now.

It's just a case of savig money for ESPN... it'd cost them more to hire production teams and so on than it would to just pay Sky to do it.

On the plus side I'll be able to get that and my NHL for £12 a month and knock SS1/2/3 on the head.

but sky are still gaining revenue from another company inability to have a production team...

will it be classed as "a sky sports production"?

cause,in theory,it is.

but sky are still gaining revenue from another company inability to have a production team...

will it be classed as "a sky sports production"?

cause,in theory,it is.

Yeah, Sky will of course make money from it. But it'll save ESPN money.

Sky already produce many shows that they don't show on "Sky 1" or whatever. Same as how Granada TV produce things which are actually shown on the BBC and so forth... it's all very integrated.