Lost season tickets

I noticed on another thread that the conversation had turned towards lost season tickets, so I thought I would start a quick thread on the issue.

The trouble with the current system is that if a ticket is lost, there is no way to block it at the ground - so if a second was issued, both could be used to enter the ground... and there's no feasible way the club have of stopping this.

I know that Barry has visited a couple of grounds in the past to look at ticketing systems at other grounds, and obviously with a smart card entry system the club would be able to block entry for certain cards - and I am sure that as the ground is developed, this is something that will be looked at closely.

Best regards

Darren

I noticed on another thread that the conversation had turned towards lost season tickets, so I thought I would start a quick thread on the issue.

The trouble with the current system is that if a ticket is lost, there is no way to block it at the ground - so if a second was issued, both could be used to enter the ground... and there's no feasible way the club have of stopping this.

I know that Barry has visited a couple of grounds in the past to look at ticketing systems at other grounds, and obviously with a smart card entry system the club would be able to block entry for certain cards - and I am sure that as the ground is developed, this is something that will be looked at closely.

Best regards

Darren

Most people have mobile phones in this day and age. They either insure it, really look after it or bite the bullet and pay for a new one if anything happens to it. Why is it so different with a season ticket? In fact, it's more likely that something would happen to the phone because of it's value (I actually had my car broken into in Rochdale where they nicked my head unit, amp and decent pool cue. My ST was in view and they left it :grin: ).

You wouldn't go back to the shop or phone company and ask for a new one would you?

Guest oa_exile

Best regards

Darren

Maybe I am missing something here but .........

The season ticket has a serial no , surely the serial no could be pinned onto the turnstile so when the season ticket appears the operator at the turnstile could raise the alarm and the culprit and could be dealt with and season ticket confiscated.......or is that to simple ? :blink:

Back when I was living close to BP, I was broken in to one night and the thieves got away with a fair bit of stuff, including my season ticket. I did at the time write to the club and see if there was anything they could do, well of course they cant do anything other than sympathise with you. I was at the time a bit miffed because they wouldnt do anything, but on hindsight, there isnt really much they can do. They cant check each indiviual ST stubb as it's handed over, that would create an unecessary wait for ST holders getting in to the ground, bearing in mind there is no guarantee that your thief with the ticket will show up.

Best way forward for everyone would be to insure your tickets.

The way forward to combat stolen tickets is to move over to an electronic system, but until we've re-developed BP I dont see that happening.

Edited by 3 Lions

They cant check each indiviual ST stubb as it's handed over, that would create an unecessary wait for ST holders getting in to the ground

They could, how long does it take to read a number on a ticket, dont think it would cause that much of a delay as everyone doesnt turn up all at once. Your right it may not be the thief who has it but it stops someone getting in for free*

Agree it would be better with an electronic system but as you say that would mean waiting for the re-development

*although this fan may come back next season and pay if we get promoted - just a thought!!

My season ticket went in the wash last season, it was completely ruined. The only thing that was left of it was the plastic cover (with no picture or reference to what season the book was from) I took it down to the ticket office, and they pretty much just changed it for me with no questions asked!

I know its different to it being lost or stolen, because i had something to take down the the ticket office, but there was nothing to identify it to the season. I guess i was just lucky.

Could a picture ID with each ST possibly help? As long as the ticket is not reported lost or stolen, it doesnt matter if you lend it to somebody for a game as it's not flagged up.

Checking a picture at the turnstile will be a lot quicker than checking a reference number.

Edited by 3 Lions

To check a serial number takes literally seconds , we are talking the turnstiles at BP not exactly over-run are they ?

Seems like a lack of effort to me <_<

They hardly check anything at the moment, for example how many people take the ticket out of their book before they get to the gate? Not a cat in hells chance they are going to look at a 4 digit number number and compare it against the list of lost or stolen tickets for every person going through the gate.

I say different, checking through a list of numbers would lead to an unecessary delay at the turnstiles. How happy would a ST holder be to wait in the freezing cold outside BP whilst all the serial numbers are checked, meanwhile watching all the pay on the day fans wander in without a problem.

Do we have any idea on how many tickets are lost/stolen each season?

Edited by 3 Lions

They hardly check anything at the moment, for example how many people take the ticket out of their book before they get to the gate? Not a cat in hells chance they are going to look at a 4 digit number number and compare it against the list of lost or stolen tickets for every person going through the gate.

So what happens when a serial number is 'identified'? Also, why only check for missing tickets, why not as you say check that every ticket corresponds with the relevant book? What about when a ticket is lost, replaced and then 'found' again?

With the paper tickets we have (especially allied to the crowds we get - plenty of seating so said 'robbers' don't need to sit in the corresponding seat, it just is impossible to have issue replacement tickets. Unfortunate as it is for those fans that genuinely do get their tickets stolen, there isn't really any option. In my opinion checklists of serial numbers at turnstiles is a whole heap of problems just waiting to kick off!

BTW, the Teamcard is the first step towards smart season tickets as it's the same system that a few clubs currently use.

To check a serial number takes literally seconds , we are talking the turnstiles at BP not exactly over-run are they ?

Seems like a lack of effort to me <_<

Its not that simple exile. Whilst the turnstiles are not over-run they are not exactly manned by budding Albert Einsteins.

Anyone with a season ticket in the Chaddy end could go through 1 of upto 10 turnstiles, there are 3 in the main stand, 5 in the paddock & 6 in the RRE. Do you know how many people lose/misplace/have their season tickets stolen?

Literally every match, with only the odd exception, someone turns up at the ticket office and says that they have forgotten/misplaced their season ticket. The club charge them for going in, put the money on 1 side and when the punter returns with the voucher, the money is refunded. Its a simple but effective measure and helps cut out some abuse of the system.

With stolen season tickets, it is different. With respect, you can't rely on the turnstile operators to carry out those checks. It wouldn't work.

The only solution is an automated system, which the club will be planning to introduce when the ground is redeveloped. The smart card system will have huge benefits all round, with easier access for fans (once everyone gets used to it), a probable saving to the club in match day costs and I would guess will solve the lost season ticket problem, as the card can be cancelled and a new one issued. In the meantime we will have to live with Boundary Parks 18th century set up.

Cheers,

Harry.

Guest oa_exile
Its not that simple exile. Whilst the turnstiles are not over-run they are not exactly manned by budding Albert Einsteins.

Anyone with a season ticket in the Chaddy end could go through 1 of upto 10 turnstiles, there are 3 in the main stand, 5 in the paddock & 6 in the RRE. Do you know how many people lose/misplace/have their season tickets stolen?

Literally every match, with only the odd exception, someone turns up at the ticket office and says that they have forgotten/misplaced their season ticket. The club charge them for going in, put the money on 1 side and when the punter returns with the voucher, the money is refunded. Its a simple but effective measure and helps cut out some abuse of the system.

With stolen season tickets, it is different. With respect, you can't rely on the turnstile operators to carry out those checks. It wouldn't work.

The only solution is an automated system, which the club will be planning to introduce when the ground is redeveloped. The smart card system will have huge benefits all round, with easier access for fans (once everyone gets used to it), a probable saving to the club in match day costs and I would guess will solve the lost season ticket problem, as the card can be cancelled and a new one issued. In the meantime we will have to live with Boundary Parks 18th century set up.

Cheers,

Harry.

Sorry Harry but that just does not cut it , IF you have your season ticket stolen , etc , basically you are :censored: which is what the thread is all about.

Guest oa_exile
The club would insure your ST for £15 (or thereabouts) against theft or loss. It was announced at the time of ST sale.

So what is the difference then in that you insure your season ticket ? paying the £15 does not take away the fact that it cannot be proven as to has half inched it in the first place.

So insure it , lose it , and two people get in for the price of one season ticket :wink:

Sorry Harry but that just does not cut it , IF you have your season ticket stolen , etc , basically you are :censored: which is what the thread is all about.

Exile you are quite right.

However, the club have made it quite clear when announcing season ticket renewals/sales, that they do not replace lost/stolen season ticket and suggest insuring them either through house contents insurance or an alternative facilty offered by the club.

So the club, (1) make it clear from the outset that lost stolen tickets will not be replaced and (2) offer a facilty to insure against such loss. You can't then blame the club when someone loses their ticket or has it stolen, just as you couldn't go back to a car manufacturer after you have had your car stolen and failed to insure it, and you wouldn't get the organisers of a pop concert re-issuing a ticket that you had bought 6 months before and had lost or had stolen.

I do agree with you though when you say "basically you are :censored:" and I have total sympathy with anyone in that position. I know how they feel, as my son had his ticket for an oasis concert lifted from his pocket at the Council house and had to purchase another one from a tout. Its a harsh reality.

Boundary Park is antiquated and until the ground is redeveloped things will not change as there is no money in the pot to update systems in the meantime.

Cheers,

Harry

Guest oa_exile
Don't go giving everyone ideas exile theres enough abuse of the system as it is.

If your not careful SC will be on the phone to you. :grin:

Cheers,

Harry

From what I have learnt of this thread I hope SC reads it ! , he may then realise how many freebies are going through the turnstiles at BP :unsure:

Bottom line get the bods on the turnstiles to check the season tickets :)

I feel that I have done the club a service today and highlighted the pit falls of not checking them ^_^

Hang on if i lost my Season ticket for the Rocky its not much to ask that they look out for the serial number on matchdays theres less than 1600 ST for that stand and mines an adult so theres a good chance that IF somebody was to use it would be found?

No, there really isn't. Supposing 50 tickets get lost throughout the season, the stewards will have to compare each one of 3000 ticket books against a list of 50 numbers every other week. If it can't be done electronically it won't be done at all.

No, there really isn't. Supposing 50 tickets get lost throughout the season, the stewards will have to compare each one of 3000 ticket books against a list of 50 numbers every other week. If it can't be done electronically it won't be done at all.

50 tickets out of 1200 max from the rocky? Thats a lot of lost tickets.

3000 is the total dont forget each ticket is marked for the stand.

Edited by KYLEOAFC

Surely, that can't be right. Each Season ticket is specific to a stand. Now, even given that we're a stand down, each gateperson is only only looking at checking say 1000 per stand divided by the number of turnstiles.

In fact, if I remember correctly the main stand is even more divided by that, with the different blocks so the number of items on the list would actually be 50 divided by the number of areas in the ground approximately, a much easier task.

I'm not saying that that is necessarily feasible, but it's certainly not as impossible as stated above.