All this Having A Pop At Corney?

TTa own the club, and like every business, the owner wants to increase the business, through whatever channels he has available. He has the right to expect more supporters. The oldham public are a JOKE. I understand your point about 'MONEY IS THIN ON THE GROUND' but the fact is, most of these so called STAY AWAY fans are drinking 10 pints from 12pm - 6PM watching Sky TV in pubs around the borough. I have been watching Oldham long enough to know that if Oldham Athletic are in the same position around xmas, the crowds will swell to around 6500 home fans. I am not blaming the playing staff or TTA, because thay have done more for this club than most, however, I would like to see more from the commercial/marketing departments, lets have something new and fresh rather than the same ideas year in year out.

KEEP THE FAITH

Roll on saturday!

Edited by Eddie_m'gurk

TTa own the club, and like every business, the owner wants to increase the business, through whatever channels he has available. He has the right to expect more supporters. The oldham public are a JOKE. I understand your point about 'MONEY IS THIN ON THE GROUND' but the fact is, most of these so called STAY AWAY fans are drinking 10 pints from 12pm - 6PM watching Sky TV in pubs around the borough. I have been watching Oldham long enough to know that if Oldham Athletic are in the same position around xmas, the crowds will swell to around 6500 home fans. I am not blaming the playing staff or TTA, because thay have done more for this club than most, however, I would like to see more from the commercial/marketing departments, lets have something new and fresh rather than the same ideas year in year out.

KEEP THE FAITH

Roll on saturday!

Its a difficult situation for TTA. They clearly want / need more people through the gate to help the club be more self-sufficent financially - and I doubt that many/any people would disagree with this.

They will have looked at the attendances in the years prior to their takeover and had an expectation of the crowds they could get. They have been a little optimistic, but I still think given the investment and performances/league position over the last few years the gates are down on what I thought they would be, by maybe 10%.

So TTA want to try and boost gates.

They could have gone out for a marketing drive / really positive PR type approach to boost gates - and on this board there have been lots of options and ideas suggested. However this costs money to set up, and often acts as a 'loss-leader' initially (you lose money on the offer, but hope it entices people to come again at full-price).

I think many on this board (myself included) would have preferred this approach.

Instead, they have utilised the media (Chron / SSN / FLR) to highlight the financial plight of the club in what appears to be more a 'begging / threatening' type approach. Whilst this can (and has) annoyed some supporters, you have to admit that its a very low-cost option.

We have tried some marketing initiatives in the past (remember Tell 5 / kids in free etc.) but they have not worked that well. At the end of the day, the best approach to bigger crowds, is produce the form on the pitch. We are doing that, and the armchair fans will be taking notice via the press and TV. Utilising this attention to get the point accross is understandable.

Its a difficult situation for TTA. They clearly want / need more people through the gate to help the club be more self-sufficent financially - and I doubt that many/any people would disagree with this.

They will have looked at the attendances in the years prior to their takeover and had an expectation of the crowds they could get. They have been a little optimistic, but I still think given the investment and performances/league position over the last few years the gates are down on what I thought they would be, by maybe 10%.

So TTA want to try and boost gates.

They could have gone out for a marketing drive / really positive PR type approach to boost gates - and on this board there have been lots of options and ideas suggested. However this costs money to set up, and often acts as a 'loss-leader' initially (you lose money on the offer, but hope it entices people to come again at full-price).

I think many on this board (myself included) would have preferred this approach.

Instead, they have utilised the media (Chron / SSN / FLR) to highlight the financial plight of the club in what appears to be more a 'begging / threatening' type approach. Whilst this can (and has) annoyed some supporters, you have to admit that its a very low-cost option.

We have tried some marketing initiatives in the past (remember Tell 5 / kids in free etc.) but they have not worked that well. At the end of the day, the best approach to bigger crowds, is produce the form on the pitch. We are doing that, and the armchair fans will be taking notice via the press and TV. Utilising this attention to get the point accross is understandable.

A win on Saturday and I would expect a crowd of 6500 against the yorkies. And TBH I dont think we need to move the season ticket holders, because I cant see them bringing 1500 with their form

A win on saturday and id expect afew more than 6500 tbh.

i wouldnt.....never has been in any other year so i dont see why this one should be different....christmas will be a different matter,if we are still top come then the fans will return,however every team has a blip at some point,and knowing our luck it will be after crimbo when the fans are coming back then leave just as quick again.

i wouldnt.....never has been in any other year so i dont see why this one should be different....christmas will be a different matter,if we are still top come then the fans will return,however every team has a blip at some point,and knowing our luck it will be after crimbo when the fans are coming back then leave just as quick again.

Id say 7000 mark ... theyll bring 1000 (depending how they do saturday maybe more maybe less) and i think a win for us and afew more arm-chair supporters may turn up.

most of these so called STAY AWAY fans are drinking 10 pints from 12pm - 6PM watching Sky TV in pubs around the borough.

Maybe the loss of Clayton Arms has had a big effect ?

At the end of the day, the best approach to bigger crowds, is produce the form on the pitch.

Or a rich Arab buys the club.

Edited by BP1960

I think if the udders had started well, it would be a different matter. So while everyone is scrunched up in the small section on the RRE, the udders will have 10 seats each. I would send them tickets and see how it goes.

I think giving them the large section is more on police advice more than anything. Instead of looking at the last few matches and realising they dont bring to many, theyll have seen the FA Cup game last year and thought oo er dont want them in the home end best give them afew more tickets.....I think well see the block nearest to the divide blocked off to ... its not possible to block off the small end like they did with MK, easier to shove Hudds in the big end and block a section off.

TBH it makes me laugh a bit all this critisicm about our fans and the people of Oldham from Mr. Corney and some on here. Are we really any different than the people of Northampton or Scunthorpe? NO, NOT ONE BIT!!!! Surely they didn't buy the club thinking they could make money out of the football side with large attendances, if so they are not as good at businees as I thought. And this is not a critisicm of TTA I will be eternally greatfull for all they have done for our club but I have stated in the past on this board that they were not Latics fans. The attraction was the cheap real estate available by being involved in the club and the profits they could make from it. And as I say this is not a critisicm, it was a mutally beneficial deal, we get to keep our club, they get to make a few bob - nothing at all wrong with that in my eyes.

The only way to get people to football matches is the product on the pitch, get that right and they will come as happened to us in the late 80's early 90's. Will they leave when the form runs out? - well largely yes. But we will be left with the hard core like I guess many of us now are from that period of success, and these are the ones who will keep the club going into the future.

You can use the example of them down the road. In the months leading up to the Semi-Final against us in 1990 during the "Fergie Out" campain (seems hard to beleive doesn't it) they had there lowest league attendance for donkey's years when it dropped below 30,000 for the mid week visit of Coventry City. After winning the final (which allegedly saved his job) the rest is history, and after 15 years of unprecedented success they get regular attendances of over 75,000. Success puts bums on seats, and shirts and mouse mats in kids christmas lists simple as that.

This constant critisicm and threat will get us nowhere, in fact is seems to be alienating the hard core if anything, lets get a win against the Monkey Hangers and then look forward to another 500 or so home fans turning up against the Udders. Keep it up and by Christmas we should have the 6000 or so TTA desire.

Guest FyldeBlue

KEEP THE FAITH

Roll on saturday!

Having been there, seen it, done it and got many "T"shirts sadly we don't go to B.P. anymore and it always hurts, however we have an explanation, not excuses !

We have a 135 + miles return journey to make for home games and over the last ten to 12 years or so, we have had our share of good and bad times, how often we have decided " we 'aint going to pay out a small fortune to watch rubbish" was quite often the excuse. In fairness a match cost 4 Tickets and the petrol costs so it was goodbye to a £100 for a Saturday afternoon.

The good days often turned into bad days until in the last two seasons at last the club appears to be on the right path, with the TTA as fantastic owners who appear to genuinely care about OAFC.....and quite rightly express serious concerns when less than 5000 turn up, however we have found in the past two seasons (mainly) that after a spell of great results we have decied to make the journey again only to be bitterly disappointed when the team has then played badly and the result has been a loss and an end to a good run.

Just think how many times this is has happened, and indeed how many fans feel the same way as we do.....no matter where you come from it becomes a costly exercise and with a bad result - "for what"....

We obviously all watch the results and be assured we are as delighted as every Latics fan, but now we've become afraid to come in case we break the run and end up watching more rubbish......here is the clue to the lost attendances Mr Corney and colleagues !... it will take some time and perhaps just a few weeks or maybe a couple of months of seeing these results and the club at the top of the league, before the TRUE faith is returned, already my lot are expressing interest in coming again, even some mention of buying Season Tickets again ! so you never know we could be back soon, hopefully many hundreds of others will feel the same and make that fantastic journey back to Boundary Park, lets hope so, the TTA have done a wonderful job and for little return in fact in their case just more personal pocket digging !

Come on all Latics Fans... get back to Boundary Park.... this could be the year.

Edited by FyldeBlue

A win on Saturday and I would expect a crowd of 6500 against the yorkies. And TBH I dont think we need to move the season ticket holders, because I cant see them bringing 1500 with their form

I don't remember seeing anything on the official site about Hudders getting the large section of the RRE.

Only Leicester City so far.

TBH it makes me laugh a bit all this critisicm about our fans and the people of Oldham from Mr. Corney and some on here. Are we really any different than the people of Northampton or Scunthorpe? NO, NOT ONE BIT!!!! Surely they didn't buy the club thinking they could make money out of the football side with large attendances, if so they are not as good at businees as I thought. And this is not a critisicm of TTA I will be eternally greatfull for all they have done for our club but I have stated in the past on this board that they were not Latics fans. The attraction was the cheap real estate available by being involved in the club and the profits they could make from it. And as I say this is not a critisicm, it was a mutally beneficial deal, we get to keep our club, they get to make a few bob - nothing at all wrong with that in my eyes.

The only way to get people to football matches is the product on the pitch, get that right and they will come as happened to us in the late 80's early 90's. Will they leave when the form runs out? - well largely yes. But we will be left with the hard core like I guess many of us now are from that period of success, and these are the ones who will keep the club going into the future.

You can use the example of them down the road. In the months leading up to the Semi-Final against us in 1990 during the "Fergie Out" campain (seems hard to beleive doesn't it) they had there lowest league attendance for donkey's years when it dropped below 30,000 for the mid week visit of Coventry City. After winning the final (which allegedly saved his job) the rest is history, and after 15 years of unprecedented success they get regular attendances of over 75,000. Success puts bums on seats, and shirts and mouse mats in kids christmas lists simple as that.

This constant critisicm and threat will get us nowhere, in fact is seems to be alienating the hard core if anything, lets get a win against the Monkey Hangers and then look forward to another 500 or so home fans turning up against the Udders. Keep it up and by Christmas we should have the 6000 or so TTA desire.

A good example is in the programme from Saturday, past games 5, 10, 15, 20 years aho etc... scores and attendences. Doing well good crowds, indifferent crap crowds. But surely the fact we got nearly a 1,000 more than Cheltenham shows the interest in returning and both Manc clubs on the telly too so Saturday's crowd wasn't a disaster imo!

Excellent points by Scapegoat, ghostofcecere and Fylde Blue.

The fact is that no amount of moaning or pleading by TTA, or ranting about stayaways by regulars will bring back the crowds. Only sustained success onthe pitch will do that.

It is difficult to believe that TTA weren't aware of the character of the club's fanbase and difficult geograhpical position when they bought the club.

Saturday's crowd was a step in the right direction.

As far as SC's comments are concerned, I can understand the sentiment. We're all pissed off that there aren't more Oldhamer's in the ground but I'm not sure he's going the right way about dealing with it.

To constantly criticise the stay-aways isn't going to encourage them to come along. Get some ticketing offers out there and bury the hatchet.

If the team carry on their winning ways, then I hope like Saturday gone the crowds will gradually improve. At best I think this season if we get back to 6500 which we saw during the dark days it will be fantastic. However returning fans (like Fylde mentioned) need to remember at this level, sides (and currently our side) will have days of hit and miss football. Periods when its dreadful allied to some good stuff being played, sometimes during an entire match! as well just periods during one match. We just need to get some stickability.

It is intersting to look at Bradfor City now. 12.5k on Saturday.

I am not going to tell the TTA they have got to subsidise more, I am very grateful for what they did.

You have to hope that 12.5k at their prices is better than 4.5-5.5 on ours.

It would certainly create more of an atmoshere.

£150 ofr a few weeks, then 300, we ours are 379-399.

So we would get £1.8m for £150 x 12,000 season ticket

Whereas we get 1.9m for 5,0000 x £379, slightly approx figures, and maybe the 5,000 isoptiomistic

If we did it for 175, and still got 12,000 that would be 2.1million

Or follow the easyjet model, and fluctauate it each week, cheapest in May, almost traight after the last game (and promotion!!! to capture the feelgood factor) then more expensive tillt he start of the season, wit the highest price on the first game of the season, and even more part way through.

I think in this situation a comparison with a supermarket apt, many hav similar prodcuts on sale, but it times of economic stress, more go to the cheaper end of the market, so make it more affordable to go, but with the minimum level on price so they are not losing more money than now.

So undercut the competition to get the volume.

It is intersting to look at Bradfor City now. 12.5k on Saturday.

I am not going to tell the TTA they have got to subsidise more, I am very grateful for what they did.

You have to hope that 12.5k at their prices is better than 4.5-5.5 on ours.

It would certainly create more of an atmoshere.

£150 ofr a few weeks, then 300, we ours are 379-399.

So we would get £1.8m for £150 x 12,000 season ticket

Whereas we get 1.9m for 5,0000 x £379, slightly approx figures, and maybe the 5,000 isoptiomistic

If we did it for 175, and still got 12,000 that would be 2.1million

Or follow the easyjet model, and fluctauate it each week, cheapest in May, almost traight after the last game (and promotion!!! to capture the feelgood factor) then more expensive tillt he start of the season, wit the highest price on the first game of the season, and even more part way through.

I think in this situation a comparison with a supermarket apt, many hav similar prodcuts on sale, but it times of economic stress, more go to the cheaper end of the market, so make it more affordable to go, but with the minimum level on price so they are not losing more money than now.

So undercut the competition to get the volume.

This model may work in many other fields and indeed in may other football clubs, but it's a hard one for TTA to judge. Well I say it's a hard one but maybe not!. remember celebration Sunday when we had so many there some regulars were left stranded outside? of course we all do that match was free. However at a later match we asked for £2 admission and didn't come near to fillin the ground!!!!

This model may work in many other fields and indeed in may other football clubs, but it's a hard one for TTA to judge. Well I say it's a hard one but maybe not!. remember celebration Sunday when we had so many there some regulars were left stranded outside? of course we all do that match was free. However at a later match we asked for £2 admission and didn't come near to fillin the ground!!!!

Perhaps Poundstretchers could sponsor the Latics. :)

I don't remember seeing anything on the official site about Hudders getting the large section of the RRE.

Only Leicester City so far.

So you missed the bit about having to exchange your season ticket voucher for a ticket with reserved seating. I got mine weeks ago. They have boon allocated the large section, which is nonsense. The yorkies have a fickle away following, and wont bring 1500, especially how they have started

TBH, i was a little disappointed at the MK following on saturday. Looking at the start they have had, along with the winning mentality from last season and their home crowd, I thought 304 was very poor. If they had brought what I expected, 700ish, the 6000 mark would have been there and there abouts. But im clutching at straws now lol :wink:

We all know another 5/6 games at this quality, that extra 800/1000 will be crawling down sheepfoot lane :blush:

Edited by Eddie_m'gurk

So you missed the bit about having to exchange your season ticket voucher for a ticket with reserved seating. I got mine weeks ago. They have boon allocated the large section, which is nonsense. The yorkies have a fickle away following, and wont bring 1500, especially how they have started

If there's any chance, however small, of selling out the small section then they will have to switch it. Firstly it isn't ever going to hurt us financially as we will not sell out every home ticket this season for a League game even if we win the division, and secondly they would face the risk of an unexpectedly high away turn out of away fans meaning that some end up in the home stands. Given that the teams we are talking about (Trannies, Uddy, Leeds, dunno about Leicester) are amongst the likeliest to have a few naughty boys with them the club won't take that chance.)

If there's any chance, however small, of selling out the small section then they will have to switch it. Firstly it isn't ever going to hurt us financially as we will not sell out every home ticket this season for a League game even if we win the division, and secondly they would face the risk of an unexpectedly high away turn out of away fans meaning that some end up in the home stands. Given that the teams we are talking about (Trannies, Uddy, Leeds, dunno about Leicester) are amongst the likeliest to have a few naughty boys with them the club won't take that chance.)

Dont think you can get a ticket if you dont have a season ticket.