What petty things annoy you about football?

Following a recent discussion on the board about I dislike the whole process of 'shielding the ball', whether out for a goal kick or to waste time in the corner flag; and the thread about people leaving early from games; I thought it might be amusing to see what other apparently minor things about the game of football annoy you.

A chance for all your Victor Meldrew-type rants to come out. So here are a few of mine:

THe death of bbstruction - Cannot remember the last in-direct free-kick given that wasn't an offside. Lins to my shielding issues.

A properley contested drop ball - forget all this nicey nice stuff. Kick lumps off each other!

The growth of shirt / short / socks sponsorship.

Referree Assistants - they are, and will always be Linesmen.

Sponsor named grounds

Anymore?

Edited by Scapegoat

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread Scapegoat!

Here's mine...

Supporters that hold their arms aloft as a shot drifts way over the bar

That socks over the knees thing that Terry Henry started off. The nancy.

That 'hiding behind the keeper' trick. Err, how many times has it actually worked since Gary Crosby did it to Dibble in 1989?

Great thread Scapegoat!

Here's mine...

Supporters that hold their arms aloft as a shot drifts way over the bar

That socks over the knees thing that Terry Henry Paul Gerrard started off. The nancy.

That 'hiding behind the keeper' trick. Err, how many times has it actually worked since Gary Crosby did it to Dibble in 1989?

I can't stand petty and over-fussy referees. The ones who make bad games worse by constantly blowing their whistle for nothing tackles, if the lads on the park could tackle properly they would be in a better league, if both players are contesting the ball and aren't complaining that they are being impeded then let them get on with it, same goes for when the team that has been fouled but maintain possession then let the game flow rather than stop and make them restart.

Agree that Linesmen are linesmen.

The 'easy, easy' chant - right royally p*sses me off... especially the need to do it when 1-0 up...

The JP trophy - and its crappy 6 first teamers regulation...

The fact FA cup semi-finals are at wembley - totally cheapens the cup final....

The fact you get booked for over-celebrating... the type of rule only created by people who have never scored a goal....

Mine is opposition players giving the Vs or celebrating infront of even though we have give them no stick.

I no the Oldham Fans abuse alot of "big name " players (remember booin Windass) but I remember Chris Shuker celebrating to the Oldham fans for no reason what so ever

:@

Most annoying things in football -

1/ Septic Blatter

2/ -The offside rule -

3/ and the worst rule of the lot this silly situation of players having to leave the field after treatment.

You get your player hacked down witha leg breaker and you get penalised by having to play on with 10 men at the freekick.

Time septic Blatter changed the rules back or retired.

Or better still BOTH

Edited by losesome

The creeping death of, “Come on Oldham,” when we get a corner.

Women in the crowd. What’s all that about?

In finals, the stupid ceremony on the podium and the identikit fireworks. Just go up the steps, shake hands and get your medal.

Keith Curle

Technical areas

Anything else involving the 4th official

Crap players in flash boots

Blackpool and Vale playing 'Glad all over' when they score.

Hate, hate, hate hearing that.

the rule where if a player needs treatment he then has to go off and run round to the halfway line before being allowed back on.just let them get up dust them down and get on with it.

substitutions with 1 minute remaining......