What petty things annoy you about football?

What most annoys me are two things:

1. Defenders bringing down or holding attackers in the box and always getting away with it

2. Linesmen and Refs NEVER giving advantage to the attacking team on offline decisions, and not actaully using the "clear ground" official rule to ffside.

Without these two breaches of the official rules which go on in every game there would be more goals, and that would make footy more exciting.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What most annoys me are two things:

1. Defenders bringing down or holding attackers in the box and always getting away with it

2. Linesmen and Refs NEVER giving advantage to the attacking team on offline decisions, and not actaully using the "clear ground" official rule to ffside.

Without these two breaches of the official rules which go on in every game there would be more goals, and that would make footy more exciting.

if you mean the thing about daylight being between attacker & last defender then i'm 99% sure that doesn't apply any more, it was a very brief rule. however i dont have my rule book at work with me so maybe someone who has one at hand/has a better memory than me could confirm or deny my thoughts...?

whilst we're on the offside rule, it really does my head in! lets just have the old fashioned rule where if you're offside, then your offside, none of this being 'active' rubbish. In the words of the great brian clough (i think) 'if you're not interfering with play, what are you doing on the pitch?'

if you mean the thing about daylight being between attacker & last defender then i'm 99% sure that doesn't apply any more, it was a very brief rule. however i dont have my rule book at work with me so maybe someone who has one at hand/has a better memory than me could confirm or deny my thoughts...?

Think that was an instruction/suggestion about how to apply it rather than a new rule. It is sort of a grey area, like if your trailing foot is level with the big toe of the defender's front foot is that onside? But you just know, don't you? They are either ahead or they aren't.

whilst we're on the offside rule, it really does my head in! lets just have the old fashioned rule where if you're offside, then your offside, none of this being 'active' rubbish. In the words of the great brian clough (i think) 'if you're not interfering with play, what are you doing on the pitch?'

Yeah the rules haven't changed, as suggested it's a recommendation on how to apply it My problem is that I think they should apply it in the sense that it was receommended, but they don't.

And yes definately agree on the "active" part of the offiside rule, it's bloody stupid

short corners - hate em

this happened on sat - people who turn up late for games as someone did at 3.20 then deem to sit in the middle of the row - then at 3.40 they are usually the first ones to get up for half-time aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh - can someone explain this please.

can never understand this

Yeah the rules haven't changed, as suggested it's a recommendation on how to apply it My problem is that I think they should apply it in the sense that it was receommended, but they don't.

And yes definately agree on the "active" part of the offiside rule, it's bloody stupid

Don't laugh but I though the rule had changed now where it is the lower body part (ie feet) that are offside !!!!!!

Sure i heard it mentioned on MOTD last week ??

Don't laugh but I though the rule had changed now where it is the lower body part (ie feet) that are offside !!!!!!

Sure i heard it mentioned on MOTD last week ??

As I understand it, it is the forward point of any part of your body that can play the ball. So your arms and hands can't be but all alse can be.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Exactly - how bloody annoying - kill everyone and let's stand up!

Hillsborough / Talyor report debate creeping into this conversation.

I think everyone agreed after this something needed to be done - but was it seating or the removal of the cattle pen style fencing at the front that has made it safer?

I personally think that the removal of the fencing was what has made a repeat incident very unlikely as the crowd could now just step over the hoardings and avoid the crush.

No barriers at the front, good quality terracing with limited people would in my opinion be just as safe and a lot cheaper. But I am now older and lazier and have got used to plonking my arse down on a bit of plastic for the best part of 90 minutes...

Guest oa_exile
listen little child , i have seen england playing at home and awayand that goes for latics too more times than you have had a nappy change and its time to change it as you started to smell of sh.t

lol :lol: Nice one Bob ......... Quality response ! :lol:

Two thinks that wind me up, and I know they really shouldn't...

1. When a shot goes high or wide and the opposition fans jeer, the commentator always talks about "ironic cheers". They are not ironic cheers, they are sarcastic cheers.

2. Also on the subject of commentators, anyone ever noticed how many call Wayne Rooney "Rayne Wooney"?