Yeah I like it to, it's much better than the factual style reporting we've had in the past.

He'll do well to surpass the Huddersfield report from last season. Went along the lines of :"IF every Roses battle was as one-sided as this one then the county of Yorkshire would be wiped off the map.."

Anyone remember Jim Williams, a brilliant Latics match reporter who told it as it was ?.

I know the Jim Williams who is the papers editor, the same guy methinks?....and a damn good guy all round! Oldham through and through - one of the genuine good guys at the chron...

Yarwood's reports have been legendary this season... the one from saturday about freaky childrens names... - genius!

He'll do well to surpass the Huddersfield report from last season. Went along the lines of :"IF every Roses battle was as one-sided as this one then the county of Yorkshire would be wiped off the map.."

Yardwood's report made me think of Jim Williams. Didn't he famously describe an airborne, tangerine-shirted Jim Fryatt as "like a big orange UFO" or something?

Jim Williams is/was a God. I've got loads of examples e.g "Beardall went down the wing like a drunk falling down an escalator" but for me, this takes some beating. Taken from the match report when we beat Bristol Rovers 3-2 in September 1971, this was the opening paragraph of his report:-

"Boundaries snare all our lives. The borders of talent or the twin ties of apathy and indifference lie hidden, like the unseen trip-wire in the fog of everyday life, to hold us to our alloted course. The frontiers of personal achievement are hard to find and even harder to conquer. Occasionally, the frontiers are crossed, the shackles removed and, for all too brief moments, there is fresh territory to explore, new horizons to gaze upon. When one of these occasions graces professional football - at any level - the effect is totally magnetic, demanding the attention and holding it with an unseen yet almost tangible force."

If my memory serves me correctly, he was referring to David Shaw's match winning performance!

Jim Williams is/was a God. I've got loads of examples e.g "Beardall went down the wing like a drunk falling down an escalator" but for me, this takes some beating. Taken from the match report when we beat Bristol Rovers 3-2 in September 1971, this was the opening paragraph of his report:-

"Boundaries snare all our lives. The borders of talent or the twin ties of apathy and indifference lie hidden, like the unseen trip-wire in the fog of everyday life, to hold us to our alloted course. The frontiers of personal achievement are hard to find and even harder to conquer. Occasionally, the frontiers are crossed, the shackles removed and, for all too brief moments, there is fresh territory to explore, new horizons to gaze upon. When one of these occasions graces professional football - at any level - the effect is totally magnetic, demanding the attention and holding it with an unseen yet almost tangible force."

If my memory serves me correctly, he was referring to David Shaw's match winning performance!

Nah! It was referring to Dick Mulvaney crossing the half-way line. A search party was very speedily arranged which resulted in his safe return. :)

Jim Williams opening paragraph from his match report after we'd beaten M*n U*d in '74 was a classic. I used to know it off by heart but the ageing process seems to have wiped most of it from my memory!

Does anyone have a copy of it they can post?

Maybe someone can compile a book of Latics best match reports, particularly the Jim Williams gems ?

It would have a natural publisher in the Oldham Chron and I'm sure it would sell well to many nostalgic fans.

I for one would love to see the report again on the Liverpool v Latics cup tie from the 1970s, when Alan Groves wowed even the Anfield supporters with a magical display on the left wing.

Edited by BP1960