Lancy - relegation not critical

That's OK then Jim. It's OK that we've been gash all season, it's only because we don't make any runs.

Still, at least we finally seem to be making an effort vs Kent. Thank God we have an ageing ginger Yorkshireman to show the rest how to do it.

Relegation not critical - Cumbes

Lancashire last won the Championship title outright in 1934

Lancashire chief executive Jim Cumbes has said he believes relegation from the County Championship would not have a negative impact on the club.

Despite needing positive results from their final two games against Kent and Somerset, Cumbes feels dropping down a division will not hit the club hard.

"It won't affect us financially," he told BBC Radio Lancashire.

"Cricket hasn't adopted the live-and-die attitude of Premier League or first division football."

And Cumbes revealed a number of supporters have already offered their opinion on potential relegation.

I know everybody would like to have a team full of Lancastrians

Jim Cumbes

"I've chatted to one or two members who've said 'well it'd be nice to see a change of clubs', which is a very philosophical way of looking at things.

"Yes it could affect the attraction of players to the club but we've just announced that 10 young Lancashire players have signed contracts which ties them to us until the end of 2010.

"I know everybody would like to have a team full of Lancastrians like we had in the 1990s, when we were very successful, but these things go in waves and we have got some decent youngsters coming through."

Lancashire almost ended their long wait last season to win the title outright and Cumbes believes he knows where it has gone wrong this time round.

"I think one of the problems has been that we haven't put totals on the board," he said.

"You only have to look at our batting bonus points which is the lowest in division.

"But, if for argument's sake, we had the same number of batting bonus points as Durham we'd be second in the table."

How the heck Glenn Chappel hasn't featured for England more I do not know. He is a quality county bowler and has been for ages, (his average was the better than Pattinson's and Harmison's when the test match in which Pattinson was selected), he can bat a bit now (his batting was quite poor back in the day). Today's peformance by him could well have saved Lancs from relegation instead we go above Kent into 5th.

How the heck Glenn Chappel hasn't featured for England more I do not know. He is a quality county bowler and has been for ages,

Well lets hope he dosen't,with losing Freddy and Jimmy for almost the entire season it's no surprise we have struggled this season(and the rain),if Chapple got called up we wouldn't have a bowling attack at all :redrose:

As for the relegation issue.....Whats the point of it..... If your were going to go to watch lanky for four days,you would probably be a member anyway

Chapple was called into the England squad 5-7 years too late. He had a bit of genuine nip to his bowling when he was younger and could be lethal on a pitch that offered something. As for his batting, I do believe that early on in his career he held the world 1st Class record for the fastest century, although it might have been the case that the bowlers weren't trying all that hard.

What really :censored:s me off is the attitude that it's no big deal getting relegated. Why? It's another year that you can't possibly achieve what should be by a million miles the goal of the club, winning the County Championship. I've said it before and I'll repeat it, beyond Latics surviving as a healthy club I would sacrifice all other sporting ambitions to see that happen in my lifetime, I fear it will happen a few years down the line now when nobody gives a :censored: about it.

Edited by leeslover

As for his batting, I do believe that early on in his career he held the world 1st Class record for the fastest century, although it might have been the case that the bowlers weren't trying all that hard.

Although I am unsure as to whether it is him, or (as I thought) Digger Martin, that game the bowlers were bowling underarm, and if I remember correctly it ended up being over four a ball. Not really a proper game.

Looks like the Yorkies might go down though. :grin:

Although I am unsure as to whether it is him, or (as I thought) Digger Martin, that game the bowlers were bowling underarm, and if I remember correctly it ended up being over four a ball. Not really a proper game.

Looks like the Yorkies might go down though. :grin:

Wikipedia says:

Chapple's most notable achievements include winning the Gold Award for his six for 18 in the 1996 Natwest Trophy Final against Essex at Lord's. He shares with Mark Pettini the record for fastest ever first-class century; he scored it against Glamorgan at Old Trafford in 1993 from just 27 balls and 21 minutes, although this was against the bowling of Matthew Maynard and Tony Cottey in an attempt to set up a declaration.[1][2]

I never tire of remembering that final vs Essex. I had had to go over to York in the middle of the game and was in despair that Gooch would bat all day, then turned on to see Chapple running in to "rabbit in the headlights" Peter Such. The ball seamed on a right angle and smashed his stumps all over :grin:

Wikipedia says:

I never tire of remembering that final vs Essex. I had had to go over to York in the middle of the game and was in despair that Gooch would bat all day, then turned on to see Chapple running in to "rabbit in the headlights" Peter Such. The ball seamed on a right angle and smashed his stumps all over :grin:

Was that the game where we got not a lot and then bowled them out for even less (under 100) as Chapple was bowling 85mph off breaks due to a very bowler friendly pitch?

lancs now 7-1.

me thinks a result is on the cards here!

It's starting to sound like the result might be Somerset losing points for putting up such an inadequate pitch* though.

In which case we can still relegate them. :blink:

*BBC quotes:

"Apparently we've got a bit of a green top at Taunton"

"the pitch is greener than a teenage backpacker in a Delhi hostel"

"Somerset are clearly in trouble and the colour of the pitch is the talking point. According to the BBC Radio Lancashire commentary team it is so green it blends in with outfield. The only way to determine it from the rest of Taunton is the fact the batsmen are standing there. "

Edit: 13/2

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Things are looking OK for Lancs now, but we still have to close things out and there still needs to be some sort of explanation/investigation as to why with our squad and our resources we had to get involved in a relegation fight in two competitions. Oh and it rained a lot is not a good enough reason.