Back from Hartlepool

In the first half it looked like it was going to be a good game for the neutrals and they can't have been disappointed. They passed it around very well during the game and look to be quite a good side (can see them challenging for the play-offs at the end of the season). We did not deserve to go in at half-time 2-0 up, they were the better team for 60 minutes easily. We created a few chances in the first half but they had more of the possession and there were spells when we didn't get a kick for 5 minutes. Hughes' and Taylor's goals were well taken after some good play but were nothing to write home about

The second half was a different story they still had more possession but they managed to find the final ball. What Danny Wilson said at half-time I do not know but it obviously worked. They had looked threatening at set-pieces all game (they are quite a big side) and it was no surprise they scored from a set piece. The first goal was from a defensive error but it all stemmed from what looked like a foul on Hughes in a dangerous area but the ref (who didn't have the best of games didn't give it). Their second goal was from a free-kick at which their movement got the better of us but Crossley pulled off a good save only for them to knock the rebound in. Their third was a penalty which i think Crossley would have saved if he had gone the right way (and I think he should have). It didn't look like a penalty from the other end of the pitch but I would need the replays to make sure. At that point when he hadn't had a kick in 7 minutes, they had scored 3 times, we looked to be in trouble. We rallied well and Taylor got another goal which was a well struck shot and we had better chances than they did once it was 3-3. Davies was very unlucky not to score with a chip which drifted just wide (it looked like it was in until the last minute). Gregan's foul was never a straight red card (it did not deny their player a goal scoring opportunity and it wasn't serious foul play), the ball would have been lucky to stay in play and the attacker would have been forced into the channel looking for a cross, with our defenders coming across on the cover. If he had been booked before that challenge though it did deserve a (2nd) yellow card (it looked quite cynical) and now we can appeal. Which given the FA let John Terry off for a tackle a lot worse (in terms of denying a goal scoring opportunity) we should have a good chance at.

Allot and Whittaker did not have the best of games and their midfielders dominated, the front players all looked lively though and we caused them a few problems with our quality up front. A draw was definately a fair result, and I feel if we had won they would have more hard done by than if it was the other way round. But going in at half-time 2-0 up and then have to get a goal back to earn a draw says something. I would have taken a draw prior to the game (I thought we would loose) and they will cause teams problems and could well be up there but winning 2-0 at half time many will see this as 2 points lost as opposed to 1 gained.

In the first half it looked like it was going to be a good game for the neutrals and they can't have been disappointed. They passed it around very well during the game and look to be quite a good side (can see them challenging for the play-offs at the end of the season). We did not deserve to go in at half-time 2-0 up, they were the better team for 60 minutes easily. We created a few chances in the first half but they had more of the possession and there were spells when we didn't get a kick for 5 minutes. Hughes' and Taylor's goals were well taken after some good play but were nothing to write home about

The second half was a different story they still had more possession but they managed to find the final ball. What Danny Wilson said at half-time I do not know but it obviously worked. They had looked threatening at set-pieces all game (they are quite a big side) and it was no surprise they scored from a set piece. The first goal was from a defensive error but it all stemmed from what looked like a foul on Hughes in a dangerous area but the ref (who didn't have the best of games didn't give it). Their second goal was from a free-kick at which their movement got the better of us but Crossley pulled off a good save only for them to knock the rebound in. Their third was a penalty which i think Crossley would have saved if he had gone the right way (and I think he should have). It didn't look like a penalty from the other end of the pitch but I would need the replays to make sure. At that point when he hadn't had a kick in 7 minutes, they had scored 3 times, we looked to be in trouble. We rallied well and Taylor got another goal which was a well struck shot and we had better chances than they did once it was 3-3. Davies was very unlucky not to score with a chip which drifted just wide (it looked like it was in until the last minute). Gregan's foul was never a straight red card (it did not deny their player a goal scoring opportunity and it wasn't serious foul play), the ball would have been lucky to stay in play and the attacker would have been forced into the channel looking for a cross, with our defenders coming across on the cover. If he had been booked before that challenge though it did deserve a (2nd) yellow card (it looked quite cynical) and now we can appeal. Which given the FA let John Terry off for a tackle a lot worse (in terms of denying a goal scoring opportunity) we should have a good chance at.

Allot and Whittaker did not have the best of games and their midfielders dominated, the front players all looked lively though and we caused them a few problems with our quality up front. A draw was definately a fair result, and I feel if we had won they would have more hard done by than if it was the other way round. But going in at half-time 2-0 up and then have to get a goal back to earn a draw says something. I would have taken a draw prior to the game (I thought we would loose) and they will cause teams problems and could well be up there but winning 2-0 at half time many will see this as 2 points lost as opposed to 1 gained.

Cheers for the report.......did you take your laptop to the game? :wink:

Go on then I'll give a very brief and pissed summary.

We dominated the game. Deserved to be ahead in the first half (two probably flattered us). A mad, manic and terrible start to the second half. We were all over the shop for ten minutes. Not good. Then we took over again and deserved to at least win the game.

The sending off. I have talked to 12 Hartlepool fans. Not one thinks it was a sending off. Absolutely pathetic.

A good point, but we should have won by two or three.

Cheers for the report....

:mmm:

The match stats tend to go with OldhamShez. But then he's pissed.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

Jesus. Certain things differ.

The penalty was an absolute stick on.

Whitaker was our man of the match to me.

I thought we were the better team by a long way (along with the Poolies I talked to afterwards).

I have no idea how we threw that away.

I'm not sober so the details may not be accurate but I did feel Hartlepool had more of the possession but a draw was the fairest result as we looked better going forward than they did. As I said I'm not sure about the penalty, so I will have to see the replays first. Whittaker was definately not our man of the match (was poorer than usual defensively and wasn't at his best going forward) for me. As to the match stats lets just say any match stats which say someone only had 1 shot on target depsite scoring 3 goals is obviously wrong somewhere. The consenus I got coming out of the gorund was that the Poolies thought a draw was a fair result too

For me, first half we were second the ball an awful lot, with Allott and Whitts non-exsistent. We had 3/4 decent efforts and scored 2, not to bad. They had us under pressure from the off but couldnt really amount it to anything.

Second half, well, WTF was that about. The first 5 mins left everybody gobsmacked ... all 3 goals were preventable IMO but well thats football. Fair play to the lads, showed great character and got back into it, and could have stole it OGrady hitting the bar and forcing a great save from there keeper, Davies just wide with a lob and a goal-mouth scramble ... second half both teams looked quite wobbly at the back but both looked dangerous going forward.

As for the sending off, it wasnt a straight red IMO, i think it looked worse than it was, but it was a needless tackle, as soon as we saw Gregan heading for the ball we knew he wouldnt get there first .... if hed have just stood him up i couldnt see a problem as there were covering defenders. It was coming though, hed have a scuffle before that, aswell as steaming across the pitch to belt the ball out but completely missed .... he was losing his rag from about 50 minutes.

I said before the game id take a point ... obviously dissapointed but were still unbeaten. Not an easy place to go either, but with a 2-0 lead .. well i dont know what to say ... I thought OGrady played very well when he came on, thought Taylor did well to ...

Oh, and btw im sober! :grin:

I went to the game with a neutral (a very happy Sunderland fan - who a few people in the beer queue thought had torrets*) and his comments matched those of my below. I am also sober (on standby).

First half, was a typical good away performance from a team doing well. Not always dominating poessession but looked more dangerous and scored a couple of goals, where perhaps one would have been fair reflection. They offerred nothing of note in terms of goal scoring opportunities.

Second half - it seemed as though our half time was 10 minutes longer than theres. Awful start to the second half, and looked a clear penalty, albeit our view was a long way away. Did feel that there was a fould in the build up to the first free-kick goal, but no excuses as it was poor defending and it was not a match changing decsion.

After we were 3-2 down we started to play our best football of the game. Taylor scored another and we looked dangerous on a regular basis, and Hartlepool seemed to go back to not being that threatening.

Then Gregan got sent off. Harsh decision and the only thing we could think of that it was given from the point of view it was a clear professional foul - OK it was not a goal scoring opportunity, but Gregan was very very cynical, the guy was celarly going to get away so he took him out. Plain and simple, and I think thought it was worth what he expected to be a yellow card. Perhaps the ref thought it was so obvious he had done it intentionally and sent him off. We were not clear on the rules here - goal scoring opportunity definitely = red card, even if a genuine attempt. Deliberate/ cynical foul = professional foul = red card? Not sure. Only explanation I could think of other than bad refereeing.

Expected us to sit back, time waste etc to hang on to the point.

Not a bit of it. Really went for the win and created another bunch of good opportunities / situations. Really felt we deserved to nick it as well, and my mate agreed, but thought a point was not that unfair for both teams.

A really enjoyable game, and one with a bit more steel after the break could/should have seen 3 points. But tough away game, and at 3-2 down and 3-3 with 10 men could easily have slipped to a defeat, but we didn't and held on and still feel a littel unfortunate.

Cannot win 'em all, win at home and draw away....

Bring on the Huddersfield..and the "I'm a child of questionable parentage song"

* he had headphones in and shouted Yeesss very loudly on his own as Chopra scored

CAN WE PLEASE HAVE THE OPINION OF SOMEONE SOBER AS THIS IS CLEARLY NOT WORKING.

:grin:

I am sober but not for long. It is one of the beauties of the wonderful game that is footy that 12 men good and true can go and watch the same match and see something entirely different. Some very strange views above in my opinion but I think Scapegoat has it pretty damned near spot on. My only deviation fron his view would be about the red. I didn't think it was for a goal scoring opportunity but a contravention of the rarely used Law 37 section a) para 3. i.e, 'attempting to kick opposition player over the Cyril Knowles Stand and into the Marina.'

Bet Scapegoats mackem mate had a great day as it was a cracking match for the neutral. Some good points for me.

• We are making loads of chances and are going to score goals
  • 3-3 15 minutes left with ten men and did we sitback and defend? Did we bollocks! Brilliant attitude we went for the win and could easily have pulled it off , we scared them to death.
  • O'Grady came on and had a really good 25 minutes or so, really encouraging
  • Byrne slotted in and did nothing wrong. Scared me a bit by pushing well forward at times but used the ball well which was something the posters on here said he didn't do in the reserves.

I think I'm right

in saying that of the 7 games we have played, 5 of those teams are in the top 10. We are doing well! Edited by astottie

I am sober but not for long. It is one of the beauties of the wonderful game that is footy that 12 men good and true can go and watch the same match and see something entirely different. Some very strange views above in my opinion but I think Scapegoat has it pretty damned near spot on. My only deviation fron his view would be about the red. I didn't think it was for a goal scoring opportunity but a contravention of the rarely used Law 37 section a) para 3. i.e, 'attempting to kick opposition player over the Cyril Knowles Stand and into the Marina.'

Bet Scapegoats mackem mate had a great day as it was a cracking match for the neutral. Some good points for me.

• We are making loads of chances and are going to score goals
  • 3-3 15 minutes left with ten men and did we sitback and defend? Did we bollocks! Brilliant attitude we went for the win and could easily have pulled it off , we scared them to death.
  • O'Grady came on and had a really good 25 minutes or so, really encouraging
  • Byrne slotted in and did nothing wrong. Scared me a bit by pushing well forward at times but used the ball well which was something the posters on here said he didn't do in the reserves.

I think I'm right

in saying that of the 7 games we have played, 5 of those teams are in the top 10. We are doing well!

Cheers for the comments.

The Mackem had a great day - enjoyed a good game, and his team won and the Magpies lost.

As for the teams we've played doing well. I remember a few years ago having a decent start and falling away, and at the end of the season the teams we beat at the start to get up the table all struggled. This time, I don't think there are many than don't expect Leeds, Hartlepool, MK Dons and perhaps even Millwall to be in the promotion hunt (auto or play-offs) - good sign indeed.

Hope that we can put the crap teams to the sword (Hello Huddersfield) easily over the next few weeks - then we will really be a team on the march.

I went to the game with a neutral (a very happy Sunderland fan - who a few people in the beer queue thought had torrets*) and his comments matched those of my below. I am also sober (on standby).

Me and Harrop thought your mate was on a Care in The Community outing!!!!

Gregan should appeal. It was one of those 'worth a booking' fouls. There's nothing in the rules of the game to justify the red.

Don't agree with your report -

First half was even enough on possession but Crossley didn't have one shot save to make. Except for a few crosses he came for and the odd dead ball he was a spectator.

We created the much better chances and although 2-0 did flatter us a little we did deserve to be in front.

Then we had the 7 minutes of madnes that probably even Hartlepool couldn't explain what happened but we reacted well to come back and equalise.

Greegan was reckless and i would be surprised if an appeal was successful although as you say Terry got off with it.

After Greegan went we completely dominated the last 20 minutes.

I have never seen a 10 man team dominate possession as much especially away from home.

Davies had a great lob just missed , O'Grady had one great shot saved and another rattled the bar.

They did nothing in the last 20 mins.

I would have been happy with a draw before hand but i am bitterley diappointed we didn't win it.

We had enough chances in the last 20 mins to score 3.

Edited by losesome

Well, all i have to add is that I walked out of that ground thinking I had seen a really, really fantastic game of football - I actually felt priviliged to be there, two teams who went at it hell for leather, and created one of the best games I had seen for ages...

Yeah, there was some debateable issues, some things that have gone differently - but I thought we were unlucky not to get the three points... I was sooo impressed with the way we performed when we went down, sod the 7 minitues of mayhem, the great thing for me was the way we responded - last season we would have lost that match - nailed on, but as with colchester we just went at them and believed we were the better side...

Good management from shez too - as soon as we went down to 10 it was a great decision to get Davies onto the pitch, and Lids off... so many managers would have shut up shop but he still wanted to win.... Davies and O'Grady upfront ripped em to pieces... quick, powerful, and to say they had the extra man they barely had a kick in the last 20 mins... we created chance after chance, and it was a brilliant effort by the lads...

Lomax, Whittaker and Allott all had thier worst games in a latics shirt this season IMO, not terrible, just secont best too much... and lewis looked sluggish, and hughesy just a little nackered, and rightfully taken of after 60 mins as he hadnt trained all week... Davies & O'Grady putting in a real shout for a starting spot next week - which is great to see, as they look hungry to play - exciting to see...

gregan will be a big loss, but hey, lets see what Byrne is made of... the Aberdeen lot said he was decent at CB and he looks big and strong, just as long as Stam doenst play we will be fine!

Brilliant day out... and I have to say, as has been said before, the type of game that reminded me of the royle era, we always look like we can win, no matter what the score is... far more positives then negatives for me, a great game and good result at a tough place to go...