Davies hat trick for reserves

Craig Davies notched a hat trick as Latics reserves built a 5-0 half time lead against Stockport reserves, the other goals came from Wolfenden and Byrne.

A different story in the 2nd half however as Davies, the impressive Byrne at left back and Stam were substituted and Stockport pulled back 3 goals without reply (a mention here must go to tricky Stockport forward Carl Baker).

Latics fielded a trialist striker who showed some neat touches, but lacked any physical presence.

Of the rest the tall youth team centre back Laqan Esdaille - Biney looks a real prospect.

Disappointing IMO were Stephens and Smalley.

What I could not understand is that Kalala and Thomson were named on the team sheet as starters, but didn't turn out (leaving 4 subs only) and Maher wasn't even given a run out.

Assuming he is not injured, how is he going to get match fit ?

Edited by BP1960

Guest sheridans_world

The match tonight was a mixed bag.

The first half was good (obviously we scored five goals). Stockport had a lot of the possesion but were very weak at the back. Davies' hat-trick was very well taken. Three superb strikes that leaves him wel and truly knocking on the first team front door. I get the feeling that him not being in the starting XI has sorted his attitude out a little because he worked for his three goals.

Wolfy played the first half on the left wing, went on a few mazy runs and took his goal very well. He looked fairly sharp and it added a dimension to his game playing on the wing, he was less effective when he moved upfront in the second half. Richie Byrne played well, mopped up a lot, took his goal well too. Stammy didnt look fully fit and got taken off at half time leaving one of the younger lads in his place. For some reason, the team fell apart in the second half (lets face it they didnt need to play). They conceded two poor goals that (had Byrne and Stam been on at the time) should have been cleared easily. Stockport got round the back of the young lads far too easy. We were reduced to 10 men in the second half after Esdaile-Biney went off injured.

Stephens wasnt 'instrumental' but did add to the attacking, along with Smalley and Kilcourse.

Two totally contrasting halves, Davies can't physically do anymore than he already is. Wolfy looked half-decent on the wing (Mark Allott esq? I'll start as a striker, realise I'm crap and move to a different position?) Smalley wasnt involved too much and Byrne really impressed. Trialist was unimpressive missed a very easy chance from three yards out and was totally unfit, he didnt make it past the 60 minute mark.

Wolfy looked half-decent on the wing (Mark Allott esq? I'll start as a striker, realise I'm crap and move to a different position?)

"There's only one Winger Wolfy,

Only one, winger wolfy,

He used to be sh*te...

... and he still pretty much is"

:unsure:

Doesnt quite work yet really? :wink:

Glad to hear davies is hungry again, and Byrne looks decent.... hope they are both starting on saturday....

Guest sheridans_world
Even Wolfenden scores goals for the ressies nothing to get excited about.

Were you there tonight?

Didnt think so......

INVALIDATE'S COMMENT!

Stefan Stam must've made us tick tonight because it all went wrong when he went off :wink:

Seriously though, Wolfenden showed a strength I didn't know he possessed in taking his goal. He needs to show more of that. The trialist was very unimpressive, as has been said and it seemed odd that we were even looking at another striker, given what we've got at the club.

Latics have tried several trialist strikers this season and none have looked the part, yet a reserve match trial has not been given to the powerful young Ashton United centre forward Ben Deegan, who gave Stam and Thomson a such hard time in the season friendly.

I know for a fact the prolific goalscoring Deegan is being tracked by a club in a higher league than Latics, so would have thought he would have been offered a reserve run out just to see how he shaped.

Having seen him, IMO he would have turned in a far stronger performance than tonights trialist.

Wolfy has played several times either on the left, or getting that way, and not looked bad. He just needs to get a bit of the devil in his game, he's not lacking much technically.

I have to say. After seeing him tonight, we owe it to him to get him out on loan. I wasn't impressed with him as he was out muscled and out jumped too many times. I think he deserves a chance in someone elses first team though as he can obviously score.

Im very impressed with the 1st half Davies looked like he worked hard (and looked like he was enjoying it)

Smalley wasnt that dissapointing as someone made out on here? He set up 3 i think? And had Dux screaming at him for most of the game

That number 9 ? Awful who was he? Why do we need anothe striker???

Maher? Where the heck is he? Either injured or there is other issues we are unaware of!

Our number 5 another Trotman maybe? Fast and good header!!

Enjoyed it and Chris Taylor sat in front of me for abit of the first half:D lol

I said last season that Wolfie should be given a go as an attacking midfielder, he has good close control, pace and a few tricks but lacks a bit of height to make it up top. I think a change of position would do him the world of good, pointless writing him off before he has even started shaving.

Disappointing IMO were Stephens and Smalley.

I certainly don't doubt your views BP1960, as I know you attend most of our ressies games, but according to the Fishul, Dean created 3 of the goals. Was it his general all round performance that was disappointing and one of those games where he set three up and did nob all else for the rest of the match (which just about sums up David Beckham's career really).

I certainly don't doubt your views BP1960, as I know you attend most of our ressies games, but according to the Fishul, Dean created 3 of the goals. Was it his general all round performance that was disappointing and one of those games where he set three up and did nob all else for the rest of the match (which just about sums up David Beckham's career really).

Who's that? Must have been some career setting up three a match! Isn't he the guy who always covered more ground than anybody else too?