Global Warming Catastrophe

help_shiny

Global Warming etc etc  

33 members have voted

1. 1. People of Laticsland.....tell me what you think

• Yes, it's happening.It's serious.It's mankinds fault.
    • Havent a clue
    • It's all hysterical cack

Analysis of ice at the North Pole shows higher levels of melt in the Summer months in recent years. That said, satellite records only accurately record the last 30 years or so. Basically a fraction of a nano-second in the history of the earth.

Conversely, ice growth recorded in the Antarctic over the last few years appears to exceed the melt rate around the North Pole. This could actually be taken to suggest that the planet is actually cooling.

More likely, the planet is, as it always has, changing all the time and we have nothing to fear.

Can anyone tell me what the correct temperature of the planet should be?

There's a lot in there. It appears that sea levels are rising, and there's a fair chance that they are going to rise very considrably more if a lot of mainstream models are correct. They may not be, but then maybe they are. People who think that their position above sea level means that this rules them out of concern are very silly.

Ice records show the rate of change in that area for several thousand years, with no question. Of course, that isn't the same as proving that the temperature wasn't lower in other places.

I agree 100% that there is no, "right," temperature. People who subscribe to the Gaia theory that the planet should be considered as one functioning organism should be hung from posts and have their feet whipped until they realise that they are pleasing an invisible God. Mankind, or certain members thereof might however take a view that something sciency needs to be done to stop us all having to fight over the last bits of Saddleworth and Cleckheaton-on-Sea if the melting does continue. I'm actually quite calmly confident that something will crop up to save us. Just so long as it isn't left in the hands of a government task force.

Sea level rise through thermal expansion, outside very small ranges, seems unlikely and would be slow to take hold at best.

Sea level rise from the North Pole melting would be virtually nil, as most of the ice is already displacing water (a glass of water with ice in doesn't overflow when the ice melts).

Sea level rise from glacial melt seems unlikely as, while many glaciers are retreating, many glaciers are also expanding.

90% of the world's ice is in Antarctica and that ain't melting (or at least no more significantly than a little bit in the summer which returns in the winter - as has happened for several million years).

The day of getting the boat from the Port of Royton to watch West Brom v Oldham in the only English league game is not going to happen!

Sea level rise from the North Pole melting would be virtually nil, as most of the ice is already displacing water (a glass of water with ice in doesn't overflow when the ice melts).

True when ice floats in fresh water, but a myth for ice in oceans! Most ice floating in the oceans is nearly pure water. When it melts, the pure water produced has about 2.6% more volume than the salt water that was displaced, and the ocean slightly rises.

Most of the sea-level rise may be attributable to the increased flow of glaciers on land, thus adding more ice to the water.

If all glaciers were melting, this would make sense.

Only problem is glaciers in the Antarctic are, in the main, expanding.

As this is where 90% of the planet's land ice exists, this suggests water that has evaporated from the sea has ended up frozen on land. This would suggest the likelihood of rising sea levels of any significance is about as likely as Bradford and Bingley being a healthy and well run independent bank at the end of October.

That's partly why I said "may".

The Greenland ice sheet certainly is moving an awful lot quicker than it used to, but you're right that's small compared to the land ice on Antarctica. Must admit I hadn't seen figures showing the Antarctic glaciers are expanding.

The Greenland ice sheet certainly is moving an awful lot quicker than it used to, but you're right that's small compared to the land ice on Antarctica. Must admit I hadn't seen figures showing the Antarctic glaciers are expanding.

David Bellamy is on a one man crusade to convince the world that they are expanding, but so far as I can tell he is being a bit of a loon about.

I did spot the "may" - more people should use it.

There's a lot of people out there telling us there's consensus on the subject when there isn't. I'm a skeptic because so much of the "consensus" seems to be along the lines of "the debate is closed, we're right". Refusing to debate is usually a sign that the "experts" doubt themselves.

Here's a link on the Antractic:

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2007/10/...th-reaches.html

I don't know how reliable the site is. There's misinformation on both sides.

The link between sunspots and temperature is also interesting ... number of sunspots increases and so do temperatures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunder_Minimum

Not proof of another reason. But good reason to doubt the doom-mongers.

Edited by opinions4u

but if the mayans did have warp power, and thus travelled faster than light, then that means that all (earths readily available) modern science is wrong. better put, its an arguement that is too readily ignored. namely, if we (they?) truly do not know everything that we (they?) could about our .000001% of the universe (or whatever the figure is) how can THEY tell us how WE can stop it, especially if THEY do not follow the advice themselves?

I think I'm right in saying that part of Greenland is melting while the centre is actually seeing ice thicken. Also the bulk of the Antarctic is seeing ice thicken and spread whilst another part is breaking up. Of course, the doomsayers only point out the melting parts. By concentrating on all the 'bad' things the doomsayers and the media who seem to be in their thrall can make it seem as if we are indeed sliding into a catastrophe. The worldwide average temperature stopped increasing about 10 years ago - and all the while co2 is being pumped out in greater amounts - but how often is that fact put out?