Crossbar Challenge

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is quality... they should make the announcement at the Greyhound/White Hart... probably more fans in there than in the ground 15 mins before!

I'm actually excited... cant wait to see some people making themselves look like an absolute prat, and maybe one day that could be me...... :pray:

But you can't get the Cron in Brizzle ... so it won't happen, sorry :grin:

But you can't get the Cron in Brizzle ... so it won't happen, sorry :grin:

... but my parents get it delivered! :naughty:

Highly doubt my mum will particularly want to take up the opportunity if she wins!

Its moments like this that I wish I still worked at the chron... my name would always be magically at the front of the queue for competitions such as this*

*in no way am I indicating that I used to rig oldham related competitions when I ran the competitions myself...

If I ever have the misfortunne to win the opportunity to have a go at this - the one thing I will be counting on is that you are at the bar, I will definitely need the 'jorvic and maddog are getting a beer' lucky charm...

The idea isn't to score a goal, unless you plan to put it in off the bar in a manner reminscent of a glorious winner in an FA Cup semi final.

I remember losing the "bar challenge" at Millwall last year, when I was told to my massive dissatisfaction after a 15 minute wait that I wasn't going to be given any more beer within five minutes of kick off.

Naturally I wasn't too happy but managed not to kick off too much that I was kicked out and stayed till the end when I suceeded massively in the central london bar challenge.

I used to work in a Newsagents, surely if it bothers people that much they can get it delivered especially

I may have dreamt this, but I'm sure I have seen a fan at BP (or somewhere) do it in the past? Can anybody clarify?

I remember a competition where you had to shoot at goal from the half-way line

What's going on here? The club have had a marketing strategy that seems original (not heard of this before). Not only will it hopefully get a few Oldhamites turning up to watch the Latics (when they could be at home watching Stelling and co.) but it will also get more into the ground 15 mins prior to kick-off which will mean more money spent on refreshments. Yet the same old club forgetting (or the Chron's brainwashing is still working) that buying a Chron outside of Oldham is like finding a needle in a haystack. I don't really care about myself (I'm an exile I will always miss out on things like this- its a fact of life and I chose to leave home to go uni) but there are probably as many loyal Oldham supporters that don't live in Oldham as those that do and entering this competition is a big hassle for them (its not like the odds of getting on to the pitch aren't long but almsot everyone will have no chance of hitting the bar from that distance- i reckon someone might manage it over a season though). It simply doesn't seem worth it to win something that is not that expensive anyway.

I did once hit the bar from 40 yards (I was aiming to as well) just by hoofing it (I had failed miserably from 18 by trying to place it) so I think I might at least be respectable if I was chosen but I can't see that happening. I'm wondering though if you win the chance to try can you nominate someone to take your go as my Dad with his two metal hips would have very little chance (as would quite a few people who go to Oldham).

What's going on here? The club have had a marketing strategy that seems original (not heard of this before). Not only will it hopefully get a few Oldhamites turning up to watch the Latics (when they could be at home watching Stelling and co.) but it will also get more into the ground 15 mins prior to kick-off which will mean more money spent on refreshments. Yet the same old club forgetting (or the Chron's brainwashing is still working) that buying a Chron outside of Oldham is like finding a needle in a haystack. I don't really care about myself (I'm an exile I will always miss out on things like this- its a fact of life and I chose to leave home to go uni) but there are probably as many loyal Oldham supporters that don't live in Oldham as those that do and entering this competition is a big hassle for them (its not like the odds of getting on to the pitch aren't long but almsot everyone will have no chance of hitting the bar from that distance- i reckon someone might manage it over a season though). It simply doesn't seem worth it to win something that is not that expensive anyway.

I did once hit the bar from 40 yards (I was aiming to as well) just by hoofing it (I had failed miserably from 18 by trying to place it) so I think I might at least be respectable if I was chosen but I can't see that happening. I'm wondering though if you win the chance to try can you nominate someone to take your go as my Dad with his two metal hips would have very little chance (as would quite a few people who go to Oldham).

Ah, deedums.

Why don't you write to the Chron and see whether you can enter if you sign up for the e-chron (perhaps print, complete and post the coupon)? If the Chron are helping to pay for this, they deserve to get some money from sales of newspapers or subscriptions to the e-chron.

(sorry, just noticed that you are a student, so this is a clearly proposterous suggestion :grin: )

PS I am officially an Exile as I live in Newhey and this is not quite Shaw

The idea isn't to score a goal, unless you plan to put it in off the bar in a manner reminscent of a glorious winner in an FA Cup semi final.

Exactly - that would be the absolute tatties........ perhaps they could give different prizes for different combinations of results...

Hit the bar and score - free pie at each game too

Hit the bar on the bounce - have to sit in the main stand upper

Hit the post - season ticket in the away fans end

Fall on your arse when kicking it - forced to wear a UTD shirt in the chaddy for 10 seasons

Worst shot of the day - season ticket for Rochdale

Miss your kick totally - your own box for the whole season - however the other people sat in there will be Coco, Corp and Wenks :wink:

To be honest, I would be really surprised if anyone ever does it... I really like it as a marketing idea though, one of those things where everyone thinks they can do it... however is nigh on impossible....

• 1 month later...
Is everyone else aware that the free shirt promised to all participants at the beginning of the challenge was only for the first two games. I did the challenge last night to be told I would not be getting a shirt :angry:

Looks like they've moved the goal posts! :getmecoat:

TBH, I though everyone got one!

I was more peed off with the fact that the guy took the ball away as i was about to give it a go.

As for the panto guys, i may have something lined up for the next near future which would be a first for me. News to follow on here ^_^

When Kev said that's it, apart from Chaddy the Owl having a go, I wondered whether you would be allowed to claim the prize if you won. The bloke who walked off with the ball seemed to answer my query.

Great performance by you with the kids in the Chaddy End again last night. :applause1:

The Panto - presumably a non-speaking part? B)