Game Saturday

Came to my first Latics home game of the season on Saturday with my mate who's a Terriers fan.

Lovely sunshine, great buzz before the game and then...

First 15 minutes we played football and then allowed them to play disgusting hoofball and then countered it by missing out our midfield for pretty much the whole game. Taylor looks on a different level to everyone else on the park and the distribution to him and hughes on the floor was pretty much non existent.

Anyway I don't think I have a real point to make but I was thinking to myself I hope this doesn't put off potential fans for the rest of the season (and the poor police management outside afterwards) as genuinely I think we have one of the top 3 squads in the league and we should go up this year. Huddersfield were pretty much an awful team I thought but found a very basic tactic that worked against us really well and I hope that we learn to deal with this if other teams try to play this basic hoofball/tight man marking counter attack against us again at home. Out defence looked shaken every time the ball went near that rude lanky derby reject, luckily he had no touch and no skill. But if/when we do, we're going to need a better attendance in the championship surely and a home support is key?

I normally go to away games only and I'm going to Stockport on Friday in their home end with a mate who's on their side and my positive comment is how cool everyone was with my mate who was openly supporting the terriers throughout even in the bar at half time, he really enjoyed himself (he missed our goal as he was still in the bar).

Oh and where's the score/time board?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Came to my first Latics home game of the season on Saturday with my mate who's a Terriers fan.

Lovely sunshine, great buzz before the game and then...

First 15 minutes we played football and then allowed them to play disgusting hoofball and then countered it by missing out our midfield for pretty much the whole game. Taylor looks on a different level to everyone else on the park and the distribution to him and hughes on the floor was pretty much non existent.

Anyway I don't think I have a real point to make but I was thinking to myself I hope this doesn't put off potential fans for the rest of the season (and the poor police management outside afterwards) as genuinely I think we have one of the top 3 squads in the league and we should go up this year. Huddersfield were pretty much an awful team I thought but found a very basic tactic that worked against us really well and I hope that we learn to deal with this if other teams try to play this basic hoofball/tight man marking counter attack against us again at home. Out defence looked shaken every time the ball went near that rude lanky derby reject, luckily he had no touch and no skill. But if/when we do, we're going to need a better attendance in the championship surely and a home support is key?

I normally go to away games only and I'm going to Stockport on Friday in their home end with a mate who's on their side and my positive comment is how cool everyone was with my mate who was openly supporting the terriers throughout even in the bar at half time, he really enjoyed himself (he missed our goal as he was still in the bar).

Oh and where's the score/time board?

Why was this your first home game? whilst you normally go to the aways. You sound like a sailor with a bird in every port with you having an away fan mate at matches!! Anyway, hope you make some more matches at home brother, as like you say we need more supporters at home games.

Came to my first Latics home game of the season on Saturday....

... if/when we do, we're going to need a better attendance in the championship surely and a home support is key?

I normally go to away games only .....

TTA may appreciate you hitting the nail on the head but, unless you and others attend home games, their financial plight will not be eased. :bluearmy:

It's not that I don’t like coming to BP, I love it, it's just because I live in central Manchester and don’t have a car. It's a nightmare to get to BP even though it's only 25 mins away in the car, if you don’t have a lift (which I did on Saturday). I used to live down south so obviosuly it was easier for me to go to away games and I guess that's stuck.

I'm quite often in London where my family live and my dad is a latics fan so get to see quite a few games when we're down there and to be honest I always like the buzz of away games. I also spend a lot of my time visiting friends around the country and if there's a game on nearby it's a good excuse for me to go.

If there was a dedicated bus service to/from central Manchester to BP I would come far more often, but I can understand that maybe there wouldn’t be enough people who'd use it to make it financially worthwhile?!

I'll definitely be coming back for more this season at home. I just hope because I attended a pretty crap game, and because of the poor behviour outside at the end that other people attending their first game won’t be put off.

Can’t you get the train? Or just walk from Oldham centre/Chadderton if you get the bus to them?
I can, it's just a nightmare and takes ages, I have to get three buses and if you are adverse to public transport and impatient like me it's a put off.

I'll still be doing it this year but I'd be so much happier if there was a direct service! (it's much much easier for me to get to stockport)

I can, it's just a nightmare and takes ages, I have to get three buses and if you are adverse to public transport and impatient like me it's a put off.

I'll still be doing it this year but I'd be so much happier if there was a direct service! (it's much much easier for me to get to stockport)

182 goes from Manchester to Rochdale Road...

Or the 82/83 (every few minutes to Oldham Bus Station) then the 409 to the hospital.

It's a piece of piss...I was getting 2, sometimes 3, buses from Hyde and Mottram for 12 years until I recently moved up Oldham.

Hope you get to more, but citing travel as a reason not to come when you're happy getting to away games...sounds a bit :censored: IMO. Oh well...

Edited by boundaryblue80

If you'd like to get to BP more often (presuming you do!) why not ask the board members if anyone passes a point that is of ease for you to reach on route to BP. I am sure if they did they'd be more than willing to help out. So exactly where are you based?

Hope you get to more, but citing travel as a reason not to come when you're happy getting to away games...sounds a bit crap IMO. Oh well...
Yeah I'm sure it does sound like that but I can’t help the way I am!

I'm a busy guy so I'll never make it to even a third of our games in a season but I will try whenever I can.

I live in Hulme, and if there are any board members (thanks Lags) that do come past this way I'd be keen to hear off them.

Cheers.

Yeah I'm sure it does sound like that but I can’t help the way I am!

I'm a busy guy so I'll never make it to even a third of our games in a season but I will try whenever I can.

I live in Hulme, and if there are any board members (thanks Lags) that do come past this way I'd be keen to hear off them.

Cheers.

How easy is it to say Droylsden? (meaning to get there not actually speak the word for all you comedians) cos there's defo Tics go to matches from there. Thou he does fight trains now and then. (how funny was that!!!!!!)

If ever proof was needed am as far removed from bein a Manc.....there it is!

..or that you didn't study hard enough in your Geography classes my friend :wink: .

Going back to Kieran's dilemma - I think that the user that was known as NervousTic was from your neck of the woods. Can't remember if he posts on here under the same user name.

KtF,

Derek.

Having already responded to Kieran's original post, I wasn't going to post again. However, I can't bite my lip any longer.

I admire the way people have been very polite in trying to find a solution to Kieran's so-called "dilemma", but let's face it, if he really wanted to go to BP, he would catch the 182 bus from Mancheter to Rochdale Road, no matter how much he dislikes public transport.

If he doesn't really want to go to BP, unless he's picked up and taken door to door, then fair enough - that's his prerogative. However, I do think it's out of order to tell us what we know already, that we're going to need more fans at BP, and then come up with all these knock-backs to helpful suggestions.

What I'm trying to convey is that it pisses me off when stayaways express dissatisfaction with attendances at BP. :rant.sml:

Having already responded to Kieran's original post, I wasn't going to post again. However, I can't bite my lip any longer.

I admire the way people have been very polite in trying to find a solution to Kieran's so-called "dilemma", but let's face it, if he really wanted to go to BP, he would catch the 182 bus from Mancheter to Rochdale Road, no matter how much he dislikes public transport.

If he doesn't really want to go to BP, unless he's picked up and taken door to door, then fair enough - that's his prerogative. However, I do think it's out of order to tell us what we know already, that we're going to need more fans at BP, and then come up with all these knock-backs to helpful suggestions.

What I'm trying to convey is that it pisses me off when stayaways express dissatisfaction with attendances at BP. :rant.sml:

I never expressed dissatisfaction with the attendance?! I haven’t knocked back any helpful suggestions either?! (I think you read something else into that?)

I'm just a fan that goes to the odd game that was posting on a message board to say his personal view on things, I thought that's what this was for. Sorry my mistake.

Maybe in future I'll think better of that and we'll leave it to the proper fans on here? I'm not hardcore enough to be a member of this board I guess?

Thanks for your help regardless

I never expressed dissatisfaction with the attendance?! I haven’t knocked back any helpful suggestions either?! (I think you read something else into that?)

I'm just a fan that goes to the odd game that was posting on a message board to say his personal view on things, I thought that's what this was for. Sorry my mistake.

Maybe in future I'll think better of that and we'll leave it to the proper fans on here? I'm not hardcore enough to be a member of this board I guess?

Thanks for your help regardless

if/when we do, we're going to need a better attendance in the championship surely and a home support is key?

I normally go to away games only

It's not that I don’t like coming to BP, I love it, it's just because I live in central Manchester and don’t have a car. It's a nightmare to get to BP....

If there was a dedicated bus service to/from central Manchester to BP I would come far more often...

Suggestion:

Train.

I can, it's just a nightmare and takes ages, I have to get three buses and if you are adverse to public transport and impatient like me it's a put off...

Suggestion:

182 goes from Manchester to Rochdale Road...

Or the 82/83 (every few minutes to Oldham Bus Station) then the 409 to the hospital.

... I can’t help the way I am!

I'm a busy guy so I'll never make it to even a third of our games....

If all the stayaways attended one game a season the problem of the Club haemorrhaging money would be solved. I'm not trying to deter you from posting, but if you attend one game and then stick your neck out about needing more home support, it's only reasonable to expect an opinion about those who stay away and yet comment on BP attendances.

Don't be put off mate, not everybody on this board thinks the occasional fan is persona non gratis.

I guess it just boils down to how much you like the Latics I suppose isn't it? I'd imagine living in Hulme, it is a bit of a mission to make the journey to BP, especially on a night game. I've lived in Sale and Stockport in the past and without having a car it was a bit of a mission taking a 45 minute bus ride into town, only to find you've just missed the 24/181/182 so have to wait half an hour for another which took another 40 minutes so the whole thing could take you the best part of 3 hours sometimes. I'd class myself as one of the diehards and even then I missed the odd midweeker at home along with the odd Saturday game after getting up a bit late from the night before or simply being a bit short of cash (as I often was back then).

I could certainly see it from the perspective of someone who wasn't perhaps as passionate as others. I think my major gripe of stayaways are the ones living in easy reach of BP yet only feel like going to games like Everton, Celebration Sunday or a play-off semi.

I guess it just boils down to how much you like the Latics I suppose isn't it? I'd imagine living in Hulme, it is a bit of a mission to make the journey to BP, especially on a night game. I've lived in Sale and Stockport in the past and without having a car it was a bit of a mission taking a 45 minute bus ride into town, only to find you've just missed the 24/181/182 so have to wait half an hour for another which took another 40 minutes so the whole thing could take you the best part of 3 hours sometimes. I'd class myself as one of the diehards and even then I missed the odd midweeker at home along with the odd Saturday game after getting up a bit late from the night before or simply being a bit short of cash (as I often was back then).

I could certainly see it from the perspective of someone who wasn't perhaps as passionate as others. I think my major gripe of stayaways are the ones living in easy reach of BP yet only feel like going to games like Everton, Celebration Sunday or a play-off semi.

Go figure ... when I lived for 12 months in Fallowfield I went to one game as simply couldn't be arsed with the travel. Now I do 14 hours days on home match days.

Is that someone who only goes to BP when it's free? :wink:

LOL, yeah could be I suppose :grin:

My thoughts on this are though, that we all agree that it would be great to see BP packed to the rafters every week, I do not disagree with the sentiment of BB80 or D_S's posts, but the reality is this will never happen unless we get to the Premier Greed once more, which I think hand on heart we all know is extremely unlikely.

I have a slightly less agressive stance on this issue than say somebody like BB80 (and no lets not bring up the early rounds of the FA Cup again here BB80 :grin: ), we have to accept that Latics fans come in all shapes and sizes (literally!). Some would go and watch us play at the ends of the earth on a cold wet night in December and attend 40+ games a season, some have other things they like to do with their lives as well as watch Latics for their entertainment. These people are tempted to BP for big games or big FA Cup ties away; I don't see them as somehow un-worthy Latics fans, they show there support in the way they see fit, and it's their perogative. And if I'm honest I love it when they turn up for a big game, the extra atmosphere created makes it actually feel like a big game, something different.

Just one final point on this, whilst I fully accept this figure of 6500 fans needed to just break even, how come we are so different to Scunthorpe, Colchester or Hereford? I don't recall much in the media about there financial plight and lack of fans. In fact the former two got out of this divison on smaller crowds than us.

Going back to Kieran's dilemma - I think that the user that was known as NervousTic was from your neck of the woods. Can't remember if he posts on here under the same user name.

Thought I could feel my ears burnin' :wink:

Hello Kieran, I live in Withington, have a car, and go to almost all the home games.

However don't get excited just yet, I probably won't be much help on Saturday/Sunday games as I tend to head from a different direction (got family in Uppermill, it's kinda routine for me to go for lunch there before the match). I would go with what others have said about the 182 being where it's at.

Midweek evening matches though, assuming you're able to make it, I should be able to help you out with lifts. Send us a PM if you're interested.