OGrady

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he did hold the ball up well last night, but looks anything other than threatening i'm afraid.......hang on is it Paul Warne again?? let's all hero worship him

clearly not. warney would have played over 700 minutes by now, compared to how many for ogrady? other than that, top comparison that

clearly not. warney would have played over 700 minutes by now, compared to how many for ogrady? other than that, top comparison that

cheers :chubb: as for 700minutes, warne only had Porter at the time and he was either injured/:censored:e for the 2nd half of season. Would Warne justify 700mins if Davis, Hughes and Allessandra were his competition.....probably not

cheers :chubb: as for 700minutes, warne only had Porter at the time and he was either injured/:censored:e for the 2nd half of season. Would Warne justify 700mins if Davis, Hughes and Allessandra were his competition.....probably not

The old Paul Warne rubbish again...It really, really pisses me off! Warne...nope, not a superstar...but a player who ran a thousand miles and averaged 10 goals a season alongside Porter. Whereas when we were :censored:, we couldn't find a striker to net 10 goals (ala Allott, Tipton, McNiven, Barlow, Littlejohn, Beavers, Johnson.....I could continue....) Maybe Warnes 10 goals would've been better appreciated by some if we'd been relegation fodder every year and didn't have a 20-goal man alongside him. Or maybe not!

As for O'Grady...said it in pre-season how him and Davies can't play together. And wasn't surprised they were so far apart and didn't link very well. People can say how we missed Hughes but I felt we missed Lewis too and would've rathered an O'Grady/Lewis partnership at Stockport once Hughes was ruled out.

I'm sure i read somewhere that he's quick and strong?

He is quick, and doesn't get bullied when in possesion.

However what really peeves me is that in Davies and O'Grady we had two quick strikers on Friday night but 99% of the time they collected the ball with their backs to goal or were out wide.

They should be on the shoulder of the last man waiting for that killer pass threaded through from midfield...their pace should do the rest. We should be frightening defences to death with those tactics but it just never happens.

Problem is we need a Paul Scholes type to deliver the pass and strikers with half a brain knowing when to make the run and I'm afraid at the moment we seem to have neither.

Kieran Lee and Dale Stephens might have the vision to open the door but until they're fit and in the side we will have to rely on Whittaker who at the moment is playing too deep to be much of a threat.

I think we have to sacrifice a winger (Liddell) and bring in Maher to bolster the midfield with Allott. This would allow Whittaker much more freedom to do his best work much closer to our opponents penalty area.

O'Grady works his tripe out.

Problem is, but the shirt on me and stick me up front and I'd work my tripe out too.

Shame I'm talentless.

I don't see what O'Grady brings to the races that the other 3 choices don't. Lewis A was due a rest on Friday, but as he's the player who can link best with any other striker the second Shez new Hughes was out he needed to ensure Lewis played with either Davies or O'Grady. Playing Davies and O'Grady was a change too many for a team that had already had 3 changes forced on it. Lewis is a far better outlet for a struggling midfield than anyone else in the squad.

exactly. so as ogrady doesnt play that amount of time its unfair to compare them, especially as you have seen ogrady for how many minutes exactly..? if you can form correct opinions on that then you should be a football scout at least and are most probably a manager of a pro club? no?

exactly. so as ogrady doesnt play that amount of time its unfair to compare them, especially as you have seen ogrady for how many minutes exactly..? if you can form correct opinions on that then you should be a football scout at least and are most probably a manager of a pro club? no?

O'Grady - Awful!! as Mark Allott quoted at the JPT game when being lambasted by the coaching staff for not playing the simple ball to O'Grady, 'i'm not passing to him, he can't trap ****!

I just don't see what he brings to us.

O'Grady - Awful!! as Mark Allott quoted at the JPT game when being lambasted by the coaching staff for not playing the simple ball to O'Grady, 'i'm not passing to him, he can't trap ****!

I just don't see what he brings to us.

Let's give him a bit more time before making a judgement. You can count his playing time in minutes since he came so to be fair, he really hasn't had enough time to make any impact.

The coaching staff had been watching him for a while and I'd like to think the've seen something that they can work on.

Don't forget we paid a fee for him and we aren't a club who can afford to take too many risk's where fee's are concerned.

To me he's always looked pretty sharp, like when coming off the bench at Tranmere, he held the ball up well and kept possesion when we needed to in the final quarter.

I reckon he could turn out a better player than Davies and will reserve making a judgment on him just at the moment.

So after seeing O Grady for the same amount of limited time as myself, you suggest that he could be a 10-15 goal threat do you? Which is my point. Correct, he does hold the ball up well, but let's face it - given his physical attributes, he'd be a pretty poor player at this level, if he didn't hold it up well. The reason he probably won't be given lots and lots of full games this season imo, is exactly the point i'm making and that he doen't look like a threat.

It's not about forming correct opinions - it's about forming just opinions - and in that case, acc to your book, all 2000 plus of us on this site would be a scout or manager of a pro club ? - no?

Edited by futchers briefs

The old Paul Warne rubbish again...It really, really pisses me off! Warne...nope, not a superstar...but a player who ran a thousand miles and averaged 10 goals a season alongside Porter. Whereas when we were :censored:, we couldn't find a striker to net 10 goals (ala Allott, Tipton, McNiven, Barlow, Littlejohn, Beavers, Johnson.....I could continue....) Maybe Warnes 10 goals would've been better appreciated by some if we'd been relegation fodder every year and didn't have a 20-goal man alongside him. Or maybe not!

As for O'Grady...said it in pre-season how him and Davies can't play together. And wasn't surprised they were so far apart and didn't link very well. People can say how we missed Hughes but I felt we missed Lewis too and would've rathered an O'Grady/Lewis partnership at Stockport once Hughes was ruled out.

And that's largely because Davies never plays anywhere near his partner. He goes wandering (that's his game, a la Berbatov), and that leaves his fellow striker competely isolated. If you play Davies then it's always going to be like that (and that's not criticising Davies before anyone starts).

I've never seen a Latics front pair that play so far apart from eachother than Davies and Hughes, but it's not much different to any other Davies-A.N.Other combination.

So after seeing O Grady for the same amount of limited time as myself, you suggest that he could be a 10-15 goal threat do you? Which is my point. Correct, he does hold the ball up well, but let's face it - given his physical attributes, he'd be a pretty poor player at this level, if he didn't hold it up well. The reason he probably won't be given lots and lots of full games this season imo, is exactly the point i'm making and that he doen't look like a threat.

It's not about forming correct opinions - it's about forming just opinions - and in that case, acc to your book, all 2000 plus of us on this site would be a scout or manager of a pro club ? - no?

im suggesting, after the same limited time, that the stated limited time is to limited a time to form a good opinion. if you are only interested in forming instant opinions which may be correct, may be incorrect, youre probably the type of opinion unworthy of canvassing. further, you are probably wrong around 65% of the time, quite possibly more. OR youre a genius :wink:

maybe hes just a squad player and he never moans, hes strong, hes fast, hes willing to wait, he listens all the time and hes still improving?

reason for edit: i feel compelled to work on my punctuation

Edited by daznathe

I got the feeling that it was our tactic to stretch Stockport with SOG and CD going into space beyond the defence. It worked to a degree but there wasn't enough support coming through the middle, and you would like to think that the other one of the pair would be looking to get into the box when it's out wide the other way. That said, I don't get the criticism of O'Grady. I doubt he is going to score dozens of goals but he's a good player to have in the squad.

2 points

1 - fink people are too quick for look for a scapegoat if we dont win 4-0 every week be it o'grady,eardo,crosso - get real we in in the english fird division - we aint brazil and some players in the prem arent too hot either - so fink we have a good squad and remember kids - win as a team, lose as a tem=am

2- people who think forwards are just there to stick the ball into the onion bag are a bit naive - lots of top partnerships often have a player doing the donkey work and another player reaping the benefits (good example heskey and owen) - warney gained us lots of deep throws/corners from his chasing down and also created hanes for ports out of nowt

my final thought is - apple crumble is lovely but rhubarb crumble is also nice even though rhubarb aint a patch on apple!!

2 points

1 - fink people are too quick for look for a scapegoat if we dont win 4-0 every week be it o'grady,eardo,crosso - get real we in in the english fird division - we aint brazil and some players in the prem arent too hot either - so fink we have a good squad and remember kids - win as a team, lose as a tem=am

2- people who think forwards are just there to stick the ball into the onion bag are a bit naive - lots of top partnerships often have a player doing the donkey work and another player reaping the benefits (good example heskey and owen) - warney gained us lots of deep throws/corners from his chasing down and also created hanes for ports out of nowt

my final thought is - apple crumble is lovely but rhubarb crumble is also nice even though rhubarb aint a patch on apple!!

go on then LVP - I agree!! and apple is way ahead!