Player fitness and which division they play in don't always tally. In higher leagues it's more to do with training regime - better facilities, better staff; bigger squads - squad rotation, fewer league games in Prem (and international breaks if you aren't involved), better playing surface (heavy pitch is very tiring on feet).

There will be exceptions, that's why I omitted the likes of Berbatov, and I said 'Generally speaking'... I don't think it has to do with the pitch or squad rotation etc.etc.

The reason that Gregan can play at our level is because the game isn't as quick so fitness becomes less of a factor.

I don't think it has to do with the pitch or squad rotation etc.etc.

O yes it does!

Good, slick playing surface is easier to play on and much less taxing than heavy, ploughed fields that often pass off as football pitch in lower leagues.

As for squad rotation, in a few weeks we play in FA Cup first round. You bet we will play out strongest team, no matter who the opposition, just to ensure we get through.

Prem or Championship teams in 3rd round in January. Unless it's against Arsenal or ManU, you know they are going to rest several key players and give fringe players a chance to shine. So the players rested will be fitter for the next league game.

O yes it does!

Good, slick playing surface is easier to play on and much less taxing than heavy, ploughed fields that often pass off as football pitch in lower leagues.

As for squad rotation, in a few weeks we play in FA Cup first round. You bet we will play out strongest team, no matter who the opposition, just to ensure we get through.

Prem or Championship teams in 3rd round in January. Unless it's against Arsenal or ManU, you know they are going to rest several key players and give fringe players a chance to shine. So the players rested will be fitter for the next league game.

For gods sake your complicating things, regardless of the amount of matches played, forget the bad pitches etc.etc.,................The point I made was..."Players playing in the premiership are 'generally' fitter, than those playing at our level.

Couple of points here...

I'm a fan of Stams...but his injury-proneness is wearing thin for most and now also starting to be a question for me. I don't doubt his ability...just like I don't doubt Hughes'. Thing is, both are no good if they're not on the field. And thus, possibly you have to say it's highly questionable that we give either a new contract.

BUT...there is a difference. Hughes, even when fit for just half a season, will be better than most players at this level for a full season. Whereas, you can't quite say the same for Stam, no matter how highly you rate him (and I do rate him very highly when he's fit.) So I'd say we've got to see how it goes but if Stam isn't on the field (or ready to step in when needed) this season enough, we'll have to offer a pay-as-you-play deal or a wave goodbye.

Final point though to remember on Stam though...I wasn't a big advocate of giving Lids a new contract for several reasons. Without turning this into a Lids debate again * one factor was about Lids' injury record. Thankfully, so far, you can't fault his fitness. I've felt a few times he should have been subbed for fresher legs but to be fair, even when he hasn't he's still kept going. It shows you can get over injury-proneness...I'd love to see this happen for Stam. The jury will decide this season.

* Still doesn't mean I agree with him being kept as I feel Smalley could do the job too (and better) & the wages could've been used elsewhere. As it stands though, I'm happier that Lids is earning his corn so far this season. Much improved on his previous 18mths, even if I have to accept he'll never push back a fullback as i'd like a man in that position to.

For gods sake your complicating things, regardless of the amount of matches played, forget the bad pitches etc.etc.,................The point I made was..."Players playing in the premiership are 'generally' fitter, than those playing at our level.

Only quote I ever agreed with that Ronnie said

"Some fans still think this is the premiership."