So Wolfy scores again.

I agree but if it was up to some people they would tear up his contract.

What a good idea! Maybe we could just invest in a shredder and do JP & Thommo's one at the same time.

The way I look at it, is if Wolfy gets anywhere near the first team - Sheridan has made some serious, serious mistakes in the transfer market.

I cant see any arguement, he isnt good enough. He wasnt good enoughy last year when we were virtual;ly playing our U-12s, why on earth should be anywhere near the team this season...

Port Vale goal yadda yadda yadda... it wasnt that hard a finiosh it just looked pretty, natural finishing ability yadda yadda yadda - if it was put on a plate i'd have a good effort at scoring*

*which at the moment Mr Davies is making look hard - admittedly

Normally I hate players who wear gloves, but I’ll let Wolfy off if he’s got his mittens on this Sunday.

If his mum lets him out... she might make him wear a full scarf and wolly hat, it will be a bity nippy... I can see it now....

Shez - you are in the team for saturday Wolfy...

2060752263_fd91593de1.jpg

Hooray Boss!

He's looked good in glimpses but hasn't been given a proper run in the first team. Scored a great header against Crewe last season.

Nothing to do with our attitude, he is a waste of a squad number, he has shown the same amount of ability since he was 16... just a shame we decided to give him a 2 year contract before we knew how good Ales & smalley were...

rofl. I bet Wolfy would have scored 4x the amount of goals Alessandra has if he had played as many games and started as many games as Lewis has. It's not that I don't rate Lewis, he's great at holding the ball up but other than that he doesn't do anything extraordinary...he's not a particularly skillful or pacey player, the goals he's scored are usually taps ins after a scramble. I'm not sure Lewis' future lies up front (he's only scored once this season). Where as Wolfy seems to have some pace to him, has scored a few good goals (Port Vale and Crewe most notably) in the brief spells he has been given. Granted though his lack of strength is a big drawback, if only you could combined Lewis' strength with Wolfy's footballing ability.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

He's looked good in glimpses but hasn't been given a proper run in the first team. Scored a great header against Crewe last season.

rofl. I bet Wolfy would have scored 4x the amount of goals Alessandra has if he had played as many games and started as many games as Lewis has. It's not that I don't rate Lewis, he's great at holding the ball up but other than that he doesn't do anything extraordinary...he's not a particularly skillful or pacey player, the goals he's scored are usually taps ins after a scramble. I'm not sure Lewis' future lies up front (he's only scored once this season). Where as Wolfy seems to have some pace to him, has scored a few good goals (Port Vale and Crewe most notably) in the brief spells he has been given. Granted though his lack of strength is a big drawback, if only you could combined Lewis' strength with Wolfy's footballing ability.

Love to see Wolfie on the bench on Sunday - then come on for a cameo role when we are four up :wink:

Love to see Wolfie on the bench on Sunday - then come on for a cameo role when we are four up :wink:

My problem with the entire thing is this....

For me - we are talking about our 6th choice striker...

Hughes

Davies

O'Grady

Lewis

Deano

Wolfy

are we really that desperate that we have to even consider someone who pre-season was discounted, and wasnt even considered good enough last season when the tea lady could get a game if she was fit...?

We have lost one game... that doesnt make wolfy anywhere near the first team, and i would be very annoyed if he was...

Edited by BigfinLatic

Wolfy has failed to show that he has the pace, strength and timing to run past a defender to get through on goal, something which his game is going to rely on given that he escaped from the circus. The sad thing is that he seems to be very good at receiving the ball with his back to goal, but nobody who I could carry in my coat pocket is going to make a career out of that.

Wolfenden has scored 4 goals in 41 games. Lewis has scored 3 in 28. He may have had more starts (19 vs 9) but arguably has looked the part more (and has another two years to prove himself before the same age as Wolfenden is now).

A loan spell is the best that Wolfy should and could hope for. If he makes the most of that, then maybe he has another chance - but if not, his record just doesn't stand up. Like Stam I can see him looking for another club next summer.

My problem with the entire thing is this....

For me - we are talking about our 6th choice striker...

Hughes

Davies

O'Grady

Lewis

Deano

Wolfy

are we really that desperate that we have to even consider someone who pre-season was discounted, and wasnt even considered good enough last season when the tea lady could get a game if she was fit...?

We have lost one game... that doesnt make wolfy anywhere near the first team, and i would be very annoyed if he was...

Wolfy is our sixth choice striker if everyone is fit and availible but Hughes is doubtful and I'm not sure if Davies will be availible (I'm expecting him to be in a Welsh squad- but can't be too sure). That could make Wolfy our fourth choice striker and considering Smalley is almost guaranteed to be at least on the bench and as Shez seems to like more attacking options on the bench (and I agree with him) Wolfy gets a look in on the bench. Its not about changes to the team to shake things up its about playing who is availible. Its not unusual for a team in our position to need to have 6 strikers in a squad (allowing for 2 unavailible, 2 on the pitch, 2 on the bench- especially when some of them may be playing out wide) and at the mo Wolfy gets in as number 6 things might change and some of the youngsters might come through but he is worth hanging on to at the mo. But I would be thinking of getting rid at the end of the season, he isn't good enough at this level and a good finish at Vale (was the obvious option really) and a goal against a team that would have struggled to have kept a clean sheet against a OWTB FC XI does not make any difference.

Forgot all about that lad, this PGCE course is messing with my brain!

Exactly - for me the biggest enigma of this season, should have been fit by now, instead there has been absolutely no word of him... just topping the mystery of Kieran Lee.... anyone seen Williams, does he exist?

Wolfy, Deano ,Lewis are the future of the club get behind them and I think they all are good enough and at this moment so does SHEZ

Well, 2 out of 3 aint bad... unfortunately wolfy was the future 5 YEARS AGO! he hasnt improved, grown, shown anything more than he did when he brike into the team as a 16 year old... actually, I will have to check some photos to see whether he has actually shrunk...

Sentimentality is pointless in football... he is like a second mascot which is marginally cuter, smaller, and not as good at football as chaddy, time to stop treating him like that crap kid at footy you sort of feel sorry for, and send him out to somewhere where he will actually play....

Its not unusual for a team in our position to need to have 6 strikers in a squad (allowing for 2 unavailible, 2 on the pitch, 2 on the bench- especially when some of them may be playing out wide

Errr... I have to say, it is very, very unusual.... I would love to know how many league 1 team have 6 strikers.... we have been absolutely blessed with Ales and Deano - who are better than 95% of other strikers thier age at this level.... so unfortunately that makes Wolfy utterly expendable....

Guest sheridans_world

I disagree, Wolfy has got better with age, I hope he gets a shot this season and while he will never be anything more than a mediocre striker at this level, he could be decent a level lower.

I'm all for us fans being faithful to the lads that have come through the ranks, but Wolfy has been in and around the first team squad for a very long time now and hasn't made the jump up. He's certainly shown some promise at times, but I think if he's ever going to make it for us he would have done by now.

Time for reality to kick in. Get him into a decent local Blue Square side and wish him luck.

Guest sheridans_world
what happened to that williams from united?

i hope wolfy gets another shot, but id like to see him given a chance.

He was injured when we signed him. Still injured? He was six weeks away from full training when we signed him in July, so he should be around the youth team by now. He is only 17, dont want to rush him back.

what happened to that williams from united?

i hope wolfy gets another shot, but id like to see him given a chance.

:lol:

Keep up... we need answers not more questions! Answers on a postcard please... or just this board, maybe... :wink:

Exactly - for me the biggest enigma of this season, should have been fit by now, instead there has been absolutely no word of him... just topping the mystery of Kieran Lee.... anyone seen Williams, does he exist?

Not good enough... more interested in this williams lad getting fit and challenging the other strikers... if he still exists...

Finally

I disagree, Wolfy has got better with age, I hope he gets a shot this season and while he will never be anything more than a mediocre striker at this level, he could be decent a level lower.

You have been saying that for the last two years buddy, and there has been no evidence to suggest this.... plus you just contradicted yourself... he is mediocre for us, and good enough for a level lower - so why on earth would you play him in a team that wants to be good enough for the championship?

Guest sheridans_world
You have been saying that for the last two years buddy, and there has been no evidence to suggest this.... plus you just contradicted yourself... he is mediocre for us, and good enough for a level lower - so why on earth would you play him in a team that wants to be good enough for the championship?

Cos we might be able to $$$$$$$$ :grin: - besides, I dont mean play him week in week out, sit him on the subs bench one in a while!

Cos we might be able to $$$$$$$$ :grin: - besides, I dont mean play him week in week out, sit him on the subs bench one in a while!

Nah, dont buy it - stinks of sentimentality for me... we can all see that Lewis and Deano are going to have a far better career than wolfy, and are both better than him at the moment - so even if off form, they would be on the bench ahead of him for me... they offer far more to the team as a whole....

We aint going to get any money for wolfy - the best both him and us can hope for is someone takes him off our hands on loan, or takes him in january to save us a few bob... playing a poor player to put him in the shop window is not on our agenda this season i'm afraid... promotion is... I just cant take another instance of people saying 'give wolfy a go' then he is just crap - that is what will happen...

He was injured when we signed him. Still injured? He was six weeks away from full training when we signed him in July, so he should be around the youth team by now. He is only 17, dont want to rush him back.

Granted - however he was signed from UTD where he was a regular in the stiffs, and banging them in for the yooofs.... he is a new player, who was banded about as a big signing.. albeit for the future... I would have expected at least a mention on the 'fishal about his progress... been more than 3 months since he came in now....