How Best To Use Jones

Guest M_OAFC

Jones himself said that Mick McCarthy seems him more as a winger than a full back and Jones' comments seemed to hint that he sees himself that way as well. I have to say I agree. Whilst I've no worries at all about his defending which has been very good in the two games he played so far, it's his attacking play that has stood out. He can certainly beat a man and his crossing is excellent

So, with Gregan available again next week I'd be quite tempted move Byrne to left back, which is also his preferred position, push Jones forward on to the wing and move Taylor to the right, also his preferred position.

I can completely understand why a lot of people would be reluctant to do that because of the way Jones and Taylor linked up today, they combined to make us a massive attacking threat down that flank and Taylor has been in great form all season on the left so I can see the merit in the if it ain't broke don't fix it approach.

But rather than concentrate it down one flank I just think we would benefit more from having the threat of a winger that can go past people on both sides of the pitch. If I was a Latics centre forward weighing up that prospect I'd be licking my lips considerably more if I thought I was going to have a player like that on both sides of the pitch than I would if it was all coming down one side and one of them was having to play primarily as a defender. Similarly if I was an opposition centre back I know which one I'd be more uncomfortable defending against.

Not only would that team involve getting 3 players retsored to their favourite and arguably best positions but it would also give the side more balance with 2 left footers playing on the left, it must be years since we fielded a team about which that was true.

I'm not having a go at Liddell, who would obviously be the one to make way in that set-up. I don't think Lidds has done too badly, but that's the beauty of having a strong squad, competiton for places, and if picking your best team means having to leave out somebody who isn't playing particularly badly then that's usually a sign that you're doing well.

I don't think Shez will do it though, I think we'll just see Gregan and Eardley for Byrne and Lomax next Saturday to be honest and by no means is that a poor team, but it's good to know that the arrival of Jones has given us another option if we need to shake things up.

Jones said in his interview that he prefers it at left back so let's not upset him.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that he felt exactly the opposite :unsure:

Given that Taylor is one of our key players this season, any injury etc to him could have drastic impacts on out season. However today having seen Jones play for the first time, a long term loan for him would give us cover in a key attacking position as well as a great defender.

Top player.

Noooo no no no, Taylor has made that left wing spot his own now, and Byrne isn't mobile enough to be a left back in English football IMO, he seems like much more of a centre back.

However, it is good to know we won't be too stuck if Taylor is injured/suspended/sold if we can have Jones for the season. =)

I dont understand why when a player has been clearly the man of the match in two games people consider moving him? He has shone at left back and has instantly developed a kick ass relationship with taylor they read each other really well. Granted he looks a threat going forward but his defensive ability is top class too. Keep things as they are we are playin well .... Byrne will be dropped for gregan simple as....

Not sure where, but I spoke to my old man earlier this evening and he said he'd read he was a LW not a LB.

Sounds like him and Tayls are forming a good partnership though, and Jones said himself in his LW interview that he's enjoying it...leave it be.

Guest sheridans_world

I'd leave as is, in Jones, we have found a player that Taylor can link up with well. I just hope we can sign him on a season-long loan (which Jones himself wants). If we can, that's not only our defense sorted but its another attacking option too.

Nope he said he's a left back but Mick thinks otherwise. It's a good job he's very good where he like to play cos he sounds not Mr Versitile. He'll do me at left back very nicely indeedy.

I dont understand why when a player has been clearly the man of the match in two games people consider moving him? He has shone at left back and has instantly developed a kick ass relationship with taylor they read each other really well. Granted he looks a threat going forward but his defensive ability is top class too. Keep things as they are we are playin well .... Byrne will be dropped for gregan simple as....

good call. he's good at what he does so let's move him?? :blink::shock:

he's a cracking full back....end of

Jones himself said that Mick McCarthy seems him more as a winger than a full back and Jones' comments seemed to hint that he sees himself that way as well. I have to say I agree. Whilst I've no worries at all about his defending which has been very good in the two games he played so far, it's his attacking play that has stood out. He can certainly beat a man and his crossing is excellent

So, with Gregan available again next week I'd be quite tempted move Byrne to left back, which is also his preferred position, push Jones forward on to the wing and move Taylor to the right, also his preferred position.

I can completely understand why a lot of people would be reluctant to do that because of the way Jones and Taylor linked up today, they combined to make us a massive attacking threat down that flank and Taylor has been in great form all season on the left so I can see the merit in the if it ain't broke don't fix it approach.

But rather than concentrate it down one flank I just think we would benefit more from having the threat of a winger that can go past people on both sides of the pitch. If I was a Latics centre forward weighing up that prospect I'd be licking my lips considerably more if I thought I was going to have a player like that on both sides of the pitch than I would if it was all coming down one side and one of them was having to play primarily as a defender. Similarly if I was an opposition centre back I know which one I'd be more uncomfortable defending against.

Not only would that team involve getting 3 players retsored to their favourite and arguably best positions but it would also give the side more balance with 2 left footers playing on the left, it must be years since we fielded a team about which that was true.

I'm not having a go at Liddell, who would obviously be the one to make way in that set-up. I don't think Lidds has done too badly, but that's the beauty of having a strong squad, competiton for places, and if picking your best team means having to leave out somebody who isn't playing particularly badly then that's usually a sign that you're doing well.

I don't think Shez will do it though, I think we'll just see Gregan and Eardley for Byrne and Lomax next Saturday to be honest and by no means is that a poor team, but it's good to know that the arrival of Jones has given us another option if we need to shake things up.

Not a bad idea imo. Leicester have obviously watched us. and it would certainly throw their plans out of the window. They may have two good wingers, but if we can attack them down the flanks the threat from them will be reduced. On the other hand Byrne may not be good enough at left back. Lomax is quicker, but not great at defending.

It might be an option in the future but not next week our best player in the last two games at Left Back leave him be for now.

good call. he's good at what he does so let's move him?? :blink::shock:

I recall the father of my West Ham supporting mate saying precisely that the first time they moved Rio Ferdinand in to defence.

It is feasible that moving somebody who is playing well can improve the team as a whole.

Incidentally since my original post I thought it'd be intersting to see if I could find anything online about what Wolves and Northampton fans thought was his better position and the tide of opinion certainly seemed to be that he is better on the wing. Almost everyone said he's great going forward but quite a lot questioned his defending.

In fairness I've not seen any real weaknesses in his defending thus far I just think his attacking skills would be better utilised further forward.

I recall the father of my West Ham supporting mate saying precisely that the first time they moved Rio Ferdinand in to defence.

It is feasible that moving somebody who is playing well can improve the team as a whole.

Incidentally since my original post I thought it'd be intersting to see if I could find anything online about what Wolves and Northampton fans thought was his better position and the tide of opinion certainly seemed to be that he is better on the wing. Almost everyone said he's great going forward but quite a lot questioned his defending.

In fairness I've not seen any real weaknesses in his defending thus far I just think his attacking skills would be better utilised further forward.

He had a great game today, but when defending, he sometimes followed the ball and almost ended up in the right CB position, leaving the left exposed, didn't get found out today against crap oppo, but will have to watch out next week!

He had a great game today, but when defending, he sometimes followed the ball and almost ended up in the right CB position, leaving the left exposed, didn't get found out today against crap oppo, but will have to watch out next week!

I did wonder about his defending - we hardly saw him tested todaya nd I thought he got out of position a few times but one of his strengths is his pace and that means he can recover.

I would like to see Jones signed on a permanent basis and then converted to an attacking midfielder (not winger), I feel he would score plenty of goals from that position and his value would rise tenfold.

Some may remember Ken Knighton from many years ago, Jones reminds me of a bigger version of him.

Edited by BP1960

At home, and even away against the teams we should be beating, I think attacking fullback is the ideal position for him, especially linking with Taylor.

However I fear he might be found out as a defender against the better quality sides.

I certainly wouldn't be moving Taylor - he's arguably our player of the season so far.

He scored on sunday in his left back position and was my (and many others) man of the match. That talks for itself. Hes playing better than most now so does it matter if "he's a left winger" we have our leading goal scorer in left wing now and a strong man behind him. If it aint broke!!