Lost season ticket recovered

After the match yesterday I lost my season ticket. Someone picked it up and she phoned me to say she had found it - didn't leave a name or phone number. And then early this morning she dropped it through my letterbox.

The season ticket has your name but not your address or phone number on it. So she's done some detective work, been kind enough to leave a message, and then bothered to come round to my house and anonymously return the valuable item.

I have no idea who you are, madam. I am most grateful indeed for this very kind act. I suppose it's unlikely that you are a Latics fan and read this board. But in case you do, or a friend brings it to your attention, you are most kind and I would love to thank you personally.

The person who dropped the ticket is also very relieved!

:cardinal:

A CHADDERTON vicar’s prayers were answered when a good Samaritan returned his lost Oldham Athletic season ticket.

The Rev John Simmons of Christ Church, Block Lane, lost his £399 ticket and book of vouchers as he returned from Latics’ 4-0 thrashing of Hereford on Sunday.

The loss was even more embarrassing because Mr Simmons is the Latics’ chaplain, and had been encouraging the players on before the game.

But as he led prayers at the evening service on Sunday, an anonymous woman telephoned the vicarage to say she had found it, and would post it through his letter box.

A delighted Mr Simmons said: “I think I lost it probably not far from the house, but there was another telephone call on my phone when I got back from the service, so I could not even do 1471 to get her number.

“And I wasn’t around when she pushed it through the door — it appeared on the floor.

“If I hadn’t found it I suppose I would have had to pay for another one.”

Mr Simmons (53) has been a Latics’ fan since he was in his teens and lived in Chadderton. He watches games from the upper tier of the Pentagon Vauxhall Stand.

And when he moved down south he still went to away games.

The football-loving clergyman returned to his Oldham roots in 2005 and was given charge of Oldham’s largest parish as vicar of Christ Church, Block Lane, Chadderton; St Saviour’s and Chadderton Community Church.

Mr Simmons, a father-of-four, became Latics chaplain in April and is delighted to get the season ticket back.

He added: “I was very stupid to lose it and I am greatly relieved that it it hs been returned. Obviously I have no idea who the kind person is .

“It would be lovely to meet her and give her my personal thanks, and if she is interested perhaps take her to watch us play Leicester at the top of the table clash at Boundary Park this Saturday.”

20081014_115252.jpg

Nice of her to return it, but as Roger Ritchie (nice name) touches on I reckon it would have been kept (not quite stolen) IF found by a latic!

But if I was the the 'club chaplain' I would kind of expect a replacement if I lost my ticket. Although the church is probably the biggest gangster organisation of all time I reckon individually they are pretty trustworthy! :)

Guest oa_exile
Although the church is probably the biggest gangster organisation of all time

Maybe that is why she returned it as she didnt want to mess with the Mafia :shock:

Must be a shocker to wake up with Dowies head at the side of you :lol:

Charming, he would have bought a new one? So shes done us out of some extra club income :p LOL Only playing, nice to hear, I lost my wallet last Thursday, someone dropped it off round my house yesterday which is nice even though I cancelled my cards. Even handed it in with the £20 still in the wallet.

Shame I didnt answer the door when they dropped it round, I would have given them some cash for its return.

Charming, he would have bought a new one? So shes done us out of some extra club income :p LOL Only playing, nice to hear, I lost my wallet last Thursday, someone dropped it off round my house yesterday which is nice even though I cancelled my cards. Even handed it in with the £20 still in the wallet.

Shame I didnt answer the door when they dropped it round, I would have given them some cash for its return.

These people exist - just a fortnight ago in a shady part of Liverpool I was concerned to see a remarkably muscular, 'urban' looking black man :mrt: approaching my car with some urgency whilst I was at the petrol station. I got out to learn he was chasing after me to give me back a fiver I had dropped inside.

:huh:

Stereotypes hey??

Guest oa_exile
These people exist - just a fortnight ago in a shady part of Liverpool I was concerned to see a remarkably muscular, 'urban' looking black man :mrt: approaching my car with some urgency whilst I was at the petrol station. I got out to learn he was chasing after me to give me back a fiver I had dropped inside.

Whilst he was handing it over the other four, who I had not seen, were stealing my hub caps

Just occasionally stories like this come along and restore your faith in human nature. What a selfless and kindhearted person this lady must be.

But you'll notice, in the last line of the Chron story, I am apparently trying to have a date with her! :naughty:

She's not contacted me yet.

:wink:

:cardinal:

One of my delivery drivers was telling me the other day about last week when he drove off in his car without realising he left his phone and wallet on top of his car (yes i know he is a dumb ass). Anyhoo, he went back 40 minutes after when he realised, his phone was in bits on the first corner he had taken, but his wallet was nowhere to be seen, hardly suprising as he had £180 in it.

Imagine his suprise that night when he got a call from his bank giving him the address of a girl who had found it and rang them. He went round and the girl gave him the wallet with all cards still in it and ALL the £180 in it. He had to force the girl to take the £100 he wanted to give her. His theory was that he hadnt lost £100 by giving it her, he had gained £80 by her honesty. The story made me smile.

One of my delivery drivers was telling me the other day about last week when he drove off in his car without realising he left his phone and wallet on top of his car (yes i know he is a dumb ass). Anyhoo, he went back 40 minutes after when he realised, his phone was in bits on the first corner he had taken, but his wallet was nowhere to be seen, hardly suprising as he had £180 in it.

Imagine his suprise that night when he got a call from his bank giving him the address of a girl who had found it and rang them. He went round and the girl gave him the wallet with all cards still in it and ALL the £180 in it. He had to force the girl to take the £100 he wanted to give her. His theory was that he hadnt lost £100 by giving it her, he had gained £80 by her honesty. The story made me smile.

Did he get her picture? :blush:

I was shocked when my friend (associate morelike) found a wallet outside our hotel when in Berlin recently and said he was going to keep it. We told him not too, but he refused so I left the hotel annoyed to have a cigarette. I got chatting to the girl who had lost her wallet by pure chance on a bench outside

The guy I was with came down to apologise to me and explain that he was going to give the wallet back, but realised that the girl I was chatting to was indeed the victim. I've never seen anyone look so embarased.

However he did not admit to it to her there and then, he went back into the room, and was concerned that he would get into trouble if he returned the wallet after saying to the girl outside that he hadnt seen it, so I took responsibility and returned the wallet. I also bought the girl breakfast and a drink as I was so embarrased. I think she thought it was me actually).

I think stealing is discusting, and I won’t associate with that person again now. Without that wallet this girl had no money, or means of getting money, no means of getting around the city and none of the important ID cards needed for getting a job (she was in Berlin for the 2nd day to move for a new life). He still didn’t have the guts knowing this to hand it back and for that he learned no lesson.

Well don’t this lady, as a Latics season ticket (this season) is also priceless.

Allow me to put a downer and prove that for every pleasure there is a pain.... Last night I was sat with my good lady an 16 son watching a DVD ... we all heard a noise coming from the kitchen but as the washer was on I thought it may be that !!!! I even laughed and made a spooky noise !!! around 25 mins later we decided a cup of tea was needed and paused the DVD and set about it. Low when I got to the kitchen my back door was open and muddy footprints were all through my kitchen ... missing one mobile phone and my training bag and Ipod ..... while I was sat yards.. to add insult to injury the thief wore a latics top !!!!!!!! and stole my Latics top .... am gutted but more concearned that there could have been serious conflict !!! Grrrrrrr Coppers with me till 2am !!!! I doubt this was a Latics fan ... but if you are ... I dont have a top now can I have itr back